• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable midrange for nice little turnover shots?

Jussi Alanko

Which midrange you recommend to this kind of an understable midrange slot?
Little basic info for me and my throwing power, i can throw a grace for somewhere about 400', but i have developed armspeed and distance quite fast and i off course hope that the learning curve stays like it is now, i know, i know, it won't, but lets still hope so.

I had Discmanias Origin in Neo plastic, this disc had a flight numbers of 5,5,-1,1, but i think, and so thinks everyone else who are thrown this disc that its turn is more of a -2 or at least -1.5. I'll give an example for you: Buzz had flight numbers of 5,4,-1,1, so it is like Origin but had less glide, which is true but it is also a lot, and i mean a lot of more overstable than origin is.

But let's get back to business. I throw my dear Origin to tree couple weeks ago and i think that it is still there and propably will be forever.

So which midrange is what you recommend for this slot. I like nowadays to throw Mvp, Trilogys stuff and maybe Discraft also but then plastic has to be Esp, Z is kind of too hard and glass like, and this is true for all of the Z plastics.

I'm thinking myself that i just can buy a new Origin, but variety is a spice for life, so i'm taking recommendations to a disc for this slot.

I don't need this kind of understable midrange very much, but in my home course there is a kind of short hole which absolutely screams for a backhand turnover,and it is so short that if throw my most understable fairway driver to it, it will be at least 45 feet too long, because i had a f5 as my most understable fairway driver and it will not turn if you just throw it too soft. So i need a midrange for this shot, fairway is a 280' long, and i don't like to throw turnovers with putters at least not in this hole because it has low hanging branches just 30' from teepad and a putter turnover shot needs inevitably more height to it compared to a midrange.

In my long, but not very good, experience, I've always found it best to just beat up my go-to mid. For me, that's Ghosts from Legacy currently and Rocs from Innova in the past. If that isnt in your timeframe, I have to reccomend either the Legacy Gauge or the Infinite Discs Anubis

I've thrown a bunch of Trilogy mids and the one I use for such a shot is the Fuse that is just slightly beat in. It does have that beaded feel to it so quite different compared to Origin.

Meteor could be that right out of the box, but the one I threw years ago got rather flippy. ymmv

MVP Uplink is an option, but it will be more US compared to your Origin. Fuse is another option and will fly similar to your Origin but with a deeper feel.

I've thrown both of these a lot, going back and fourth between them. I like the flight of the Fuse but I don't like the feel and with the Uplink it's the other way around, it's a bit too understable for my liking but feel amazing in my hand. Personally I landed on the Origin... But I throw a bit further than you (~500') and like to throw most of my shots pretty hard and not power down, which makes me think the Uplink can work well for you.

Last edited:
If you are thinking MVP the uplink is probably the option (like auzcar said). Soft neutron is a little straighter/more stable than neutron, I really like my 180g soft ones. I think they are 5 5 -3 0.5 but it throws more like -2.5 turn.. It really is a great mid and would work well on that short hole, they can hold a turn, or hold really straight on a little hyzer flip, with just a touch of stability to come back.

If u tripped over an eclipse uplink they're the most stable, standard neutron is the least stable -3 turn for sure.

By the numbers a hex is 5 5 -1 1 but it throws like a broken in buzzz and feels shallower. Going to a fission hex or a lighter one might fit the role well, but I don't know how it will function on the short hole..... how long is this hole anyhow? 😃 haha. Hex is better for FH and it's kind of like a longer envy.

Last edited:
Depends how much turn you're looking for.

I like the Stratus for sharp turnover shots. Add a bit of hyzer if you don't want it to turn so early in the flight.

I had an opto fuse for these type of shots that I loved, but I eventually lost it and couldn't find a backup that flew the same. Eventually switched to stingrays, but they are probably more flippy than what you are looking for. I don't throw as far as you do, so they work great for me.

I've been using a 175g Lucid Truth 5.5.-1.1 for midrange turnovers. I had a beat-up DX Roc for midrange shot shaping but I lost it in thick woods. Now I have a new DX Roc in the bag and the Truth is the current midrange shot shaper. It's less stable than the numbers suggest.

Origin is great turnover from hyzer release. MD1 is great turnover from flat release. MD3 is great turnover from anhyzer release. Finally, MD5 is great turnover from extra anhyzer release.

In other words…. All of them.

Another Origin wouldn't be a bad start. They just are what they are. Which is, wonderful.
An Innova Panther may be a suitable replacement. Or if you want bigger diameter. A Manta, or (super) Stingray.

In my long, but not very good, experience, I've always found it best to just beat up my go-to mid. For me, that's Ghosts from Legacy currently and Rocs from Innova in the past. If that isnt in your timeframe, I have to reccomend either the Legacy Gauge or the Infinite Discs Anubis
That's the route I take too.

In the past I had a beat up eclipse axis I used for turnovers. Now I carry a beat up neutron Hex.

For me they tend to me more predictable and easier to control than more understable molds.

Try the Kastaplast Svea, 5 6 -1 0. Buttery smooth and not too understable. The K1 plastic feels great too. Put it on an anhyzer and it will hold it all the way. Throw it on a small hyzer and it will flip up and turn over gently. I bag the Svea, but another US MVP mid is the Paradox 5 4 -4 0, but it was too understable for me.