• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drive Leg Mechanics

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Main difference between pitching and BH is that pitchers open up the front side into longer stride/stance coming into the plant to get the lead side out of the way to swing the frontside of trailing arm/shoulder, while in disc golf BH we have to stay closed on the front side into the plant with shorter stride/stance to swing the backside of the lead arm/shoulder.

Overhand pitching stride = roller or anhyzer.
Submarine pitching stride = hyzer or flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=23s

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
So SW, are we looking for that triple extension? I thought that the final 3rd part of the extension (hip flexor) was simply a by product of being in the correct sequence. I haven't been playing much DG lately as I'm back on the BMX, but pop in to see the gold you guys are still creating :)

So SW, are we looking for that triple extension? I thought that the final 3rd part of the extension (hip flexor) was simply a by product of being in the correct sequence. I haven't been playing much DG lately as I'm back on the BMX, but pop in to see the gold you guys are still creating :)
In x-step the rear leg is kind of like a pogo stick that angles into the plant, Ken Jarvis having the stiffest and quickest 3X spring. I think a lot of players lack hip flexion/squat/sit/counter rotation/hogan power move/buttwipe/swivel stair in the stride. Obviously a lot of "knee slammers" that try to drive off the rear heel with just knee extension, instead of driving heel and rest of leg/body starting with ankle extension/plantar flexion. And also a lot of "rotators/squish the buggers" that lack lateral hip abduction/extension/weightshift.

Last edited:
Interesting posts!

I get a bit confused though. In the baseball drill, the plant leg goes från the outside to create the rotation whereas in the "crush the can like simon Lizotte" the plant starts by going from the inside and out. Are you following me?

Interesting posts!

I get a bit confused though. In the baseball drill, the plant leg goes från the outside to create the rotation whereas in the "crush the can like simon Lizotte" the plant starts by going from the inside and out. Are you following me?

It has a lot to do with the fact the pitchers are throwing with their rear arm and BH we are throwing with our lead arm.

Interesting posts!

Different balance and step/stride direction on rear leg.

Simon steps left foot more in the way toward left tee side and crouches and leans more forward over the rear leg/toes, so he can't stride outside, has to go inside to counter balance and avoid hitting the ground.

GG steps left foot more out of the way toward right tee side and hops/stands more upright like a pitcher on rear leg and has unimpeded access to stride front foot forward. Pitchers usually have the head further toward the right tee side (LH pitcher) of their rear leg so front leg counter balances out toward left side.

Simon moves everything inside-out, GG moves everything outside-in backswing.

Will knee slamming lead to jamming the lead hip?

Intentionally using the triple extension seems to make the lead hip open/clear easier because it opens/clears the hip more naturally. Am I wrong on this?

Will knee slamming lead to jamming the lead hip?

Intentionally using the triple extension seems to make the lead hip open/clear easier because it opens/clears the hip more naturally. Am I wrong on this?
Correct, knee slam/extension is purely linear move and throws you over top/jam into the front hip.

Correct, knee slam/extension is purely linear move and throws you over top/jam into the front hip.

I was practicing throwing two weeks ago and noticed my hip was more sore more than usual after I got done. I was trying to be more linear like Paige is in that gif that you posted but I am pretty sure I jammed my hip a few times while doing it. I am sure it is probably from knee slamming. The triple extension video has been helpful in revealing a problem I think I have. I need to take a video of myself, honestly.

Some folks had Philo come by for private lessons a bit ago. One of the guys who is already really good talked about two things he wasn't expecting. 1 figured Philo was knowledgeable but was unprepared for just how amazingly cerebral this guy is at with the game
And 2 how he could see things in real time we figured you need slow motion and going back frame by frame to pick out.

Different balance and step/stride direction on rear leg.

Simon steps left foot more in the way toward left tee side and crouches and leans more forward over the rear leg/toes, so he can't stride outside, has to go inside to counter balance and avoid hitting the ground.

GG steps left foot more out of the way toward right tee side and hops/stands more upright like a pitcher on rear leg and has unimpeded access to stride front foot forward. Pitchers usually have the head further toward the right tee side (LH pitcher) of their rear leg so front leg counter balances out toward left side.

Simon moves everything inside-out, GG moves everything outside-in backswing.

Also Simon is a taller player at nearly 6 foot or just over so he needs to crouch for some shots, with long legs so he can do his style of throw inside out. GG he is a bit smaller and more compact body so he can go outside in and not run out of tee pad on the one side. Both still throw a long ways with a disc golf disc.

I do more the Japanese/Asian style with the mini low forward hop in the throw for max D if ding it right. Always have due to my size of 62 inches or 157 cm.

Last edited:
That is a lot to chew on.
emphasizes even more my personal complaint for needing to do some yoga and really increase my flexibility in general. My hips are so tight and have been for ever. Seems to explain a lot but also more questions than answers for me

That is a lot to chew on.
emphasizes even more my personal complaint for needing to do some yoga and really increase my flexibility in general. My hips are so tight and have been for ever. Seems to explain a lot but also more questions than answers for me

I had a pretty horrible lower back mess up at Christmas (out on my back for about 3 weeks and bent over like an old man for another three)

After that I've been trying to increase flexibility and strength and have been having to rebuild my throw to a large extent as well.

I've found some of the Disc Golf Strong hip flexibility videos have been excellent and easy to do whilst watching television, it's made a noticable difference in getting my lower back/hips involved in the throw again. This one specifically 2:50 or so

Baseballs weigh about 145g. If they weighed 175g, I wonder if a pro disc golfer's disc or pro pitcher's baseball would travel faster?

Edit; thought* can you imagine the first pitcher to throw with disc golf backhand form? They already throw submarine forehand. A switch-pitcher.

Last edited:
Baseballs weigh about 145g. If they weighed 175g, I wonder if a pro disc golfer's disc or pro pitcher's baseball would travel faster?

Edit; thought* can you imagine the first pitcher to throw with disc golf backhand form? They already throw submarine forehand. A switch-pitcher.
I think a disc would go faster backhand due to grip ergonomics.