• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Driver field test part II

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Had a chance to hit the field again with some new stuff acquired in recent trades. A couple of these molds I'd thrown before, but many I hadn't. RHBH average today about 410'. Some were much longer though.

Star Katana, 175g. Nice disc. This one is a little beat. Super fast, decent glide. Only thing that hurts distance is the heavy late fade. Lot of side to side movement. Good S curve disc.

Champion Boss, 171g. Surprisingly it didn't wow me. I've thrown Bosses before, and this one seemed lacking a bit in glide and distance. Very domy. Can handle big rips. Hard to turn over or put on an anny line. Very average driver IMO.

Champion Destroyer, 175g. I had never thrown a Champ Destroyer before. This one was a super pig. Very hard to get much distance on and nearly impossible to get high speed turn out of it. Had a couple nice throws with it when I put everything on it and had a perfect release. Not much glide here.

DGA Torrent, 174g. Very, very good driver. Reminds me a lot of a Nuke. The Torrent might have a touch more high speed turn than a Nuke though. Super fast, outstanding glide and a very mellow late fade. Great plastic, seems like opaque Z type.

G Star Beast, 172g. Maybe the surprise disc of the day. Not the longest, but very consistent. Handles a hard rip well and flies dead straight. No side to side movement. Wasn't giving up much distance to the faster discs either. Great glide. Plastic is a bit gummier/floppier than I prefer. Good grip.

Legacy Pinnacle Rampage, 172g. Wow, these fast drivers from Legacy leave the others in the dust in terms of speed, distance and glide. A few of my longest throws today were with the Rampage. Very consistent disc. Flight numbers on the disc are not right though. This thing has a lot of high speed turn and will flip and burn if you torque it wrong. Love the plastic too. Stiff and durable.

Opto Bolt, 172g. Still more understable than I'd like, but the Bolt may be the best pure distance hyzer flip disc I've ever thrown. Finding the proper distance line can be tricky with this disc, but when you do it's a majestic S curve bomb that glides forever. Thrown properly I'd say this disc will rival anything for pure distance capability. I wouldn't ever mess with the Bolt in windy conditions.

Opto Halo, 165g. Sleek, fast and somewhat understable. Outstanding glide. Not sure if its the weight or the Opto plastic, but this Halo is noticeably more understable than the Gold line one I threw prior. That said, it's a majestic S curve bomber with great glide and speed. It will flip into the ground if you mash on it though.

Trespass, 172g. Not sure what the plastic is called, but it's like opaque champion. First run. Stubborn disc. Not a ton of glide and surprisingly overstable. I had a hard time getting any S curve action out of the Trespass. It also fades hard at the end of flight. I can definitely see the comparisons to a Destroyer here. Overall I wasn't impressed.

Freedom, 169g. Very nice marbled champion type plastic. This is the limited edition Freedom with the eagle on it. Overall it's a gorgeous disc. Very slim with a wide rim. Super fast and has good glide. Somewhat finicky flier. It will flip sometimes and just want to hyzer others. If you do find the right line it's among the longest discs out there.

Star Vulcan, 171g. I really enjoyed this disc. It's similar to the Freedom in speed, glide and that you have to find the perfect line to maximize distance out of it. Practically limitless distance capability here, but finding that magic distance line with the Vulcan can be hard. It'll definitely flip if you put too much into it. Great glide and a light fade at the end of flight. I like this disc a lot better than the Katana. I feel it glides better and fades less sharply.

DGA Hurricane, 171g. ESP type plastic. This disc has a very deep rim. It's a slow, neutral flier with good glide and a very long, sweeping late fade. Good, reliable flight, and can handle some big rips. A little high speed turn if you put some muscle into it. Don't grab this one if you're looking for extra distance though. It was noticeably short of all the other discs I threw today. This one actually reminded me of the Dominator. Good, neutral flight but a lack of big distance.

Quantum sparkle Quasar, 172g. Super beefy. Hard to flex out for any sort of big yardage. I did have a couple of good anny flex shots with it, but damn this disc is overstable. Gorgeous disc overall though. A beefier Boss is definitely a good comparison here.

Star Destroyer, 175g. Avery Jenkins model. I haven't thrown a Star Destroyer in a while, and this one is FAR more stable than I remember. It's a big, beefy pig of a disc. Practically impossible to get any high speed turn out of, and the glide seemed lacking, as did overall distance. Overall I was disappointed in this disc. Reminded me of an Xcal or something. Not the Destroyer I remember from about 5 years ago.

G Star Beast, 172g. Maybe the surprise disc of the day. Not the longest, but very consistent. Handles a hard rip well and flies dead straight. No side to side movement. Wasn't giving up much distance to the faster discs either. Great glide. Plastic is a bit gummier/floppier than I prefer. Good grip.

Old mold or new mold Beast?

Legacy Pinnacle Rampage, 172g. Wow, these fast drivers from Legacy leave the others in the dust in terms of speed, distance and glide. A few of my longest throws today were with the Rampage. Very consistent disc. Flight numbers on the disc are not right though. This thing has a lot of high speed turn and will flip and burn if you torque it wrong. Love the plastic too. Stiff and durable.

I have the White and Blue/Aqua Pinnacles that i bought a while back, they are both accurate to the flight numbers for their speed, if you don't put a lot on them they will not turn over i mostly use them for wind or when im not sure about hyzer angles and need a reliable hold without much turn. I also have a Purple Pinnacle and Some Icons that are closer to what you described and they ABSOLUTELY bomb, long slow turn that maximizes the distance and always fades back at the very end, hyzer flips and mega distance sky annys. I prefer the ones with more turn because they are easy 450' for my arm.

The latest runs of Icon in Blue I got was closer to the aqua/white pinnacles.

Out of all Legacy molds i find the warp speed 14 cannon and rampage to be the least consistent from run to run, however they always bounce back and forth between a range and i cover most of my max distance with only Rampages because i can find that variation and also beat them to flippy easily.

Opto Halo, 165g. Sleek, fast and somewhat understable. Outstanding glide. Not sure if its the weight or the Opto plastic, but this Halo is noticeably more understable than the Gold line one I threw prior. That said, it's a majestic S curve bomber with great glide and speed. It will flip into the ground if you mash on it though.

I've been thinking about getting a halo. I'm surprised it was US at all. Seems like a pretty OS disc. I have been nervous it would be too OS for me. I only throw in the 320 range distance wise. What would be your thoughts on how the disc might work for me?

I can turn a 170g GL Havoc over and it wont come back. Maybe a light weight halo would be a good straight to OS distance driver for me.

I've been thinking about getting a halo. I'm surprised it was US at all. Seems like a pretty OS disc. I have been nervous it would be too OS for me. I only throw in the 320 range distance wise. What would be your thoughts on how the disc might work for me?

I can turn a 170g GL Havoc over and it wont come back. Maybe a light weight halo would be a good straight to OS distance driver for me.

Well I've thrown 2 Halos, a gold line 174 and this Opto one, which is 165. The Opto was borderline flippy while the gold line was fairly beefy. The disc I was throwing today would work well for a 320' thrower. If I were you I'd take a long look at the King for that kind of distance too. It's a pretty mellow, fast driver. I'm not a fan of the Havoc myself. I have one, and all it likes to do is turn over and keep drifting right. Never even tries to come back.

Last edited:
Oh, my bad...:eek:

TBH, I don't even know the difference. Could someone explain?

Old mold beasts are pretty close to an Orc. They tweaked the beast mold after the orc came out because they were too similar. They recently started running beasts again in the old mold. Hence the term "new old mold" or whatever you want to call it.

Well I've thrown 2 Halos, a gold line 174 and this Opto one, which is 165. The Opto was borderline flippy while the gold line was fairly beefy. The disc I was throwing today would work well for a 320' thrower. If I were you I'd take a long look at the King for that kind of distance too. It's a pretty mellow, fast driver. I'm not a fan of the Havoc myself. I have one, and all it likes to do is turn over and keep drifting right. Never even tries to come back.

those latitude drivers have always been very inconsistently molded. id drop them all honestly and go with some of the newer molds which hopefully are better designed to not come out from OS to US in a single disc....

This is the first time I've ever thrown any Latitude 64. I've thrown 2 Bolts, a Havoc and 2 Halos. I like the plastic. The Opto and gold line are nice. The Bolts might be one of the best sheer distance discs I've ever thrown. Problem is they're flippy and hard to hit the right line with.

I do like the Halo a lot. it's a good, fast driver. The Havoc is useless. Far too understable. The Bolt kicks the crap out of it in distance too.

those are some of the oldest latitude molds. I think the newer ones seem to be better received across the board really from DD and WS as well as latitude.

good to know my experience matches yours.

For which discs? I threw all the ones you sent me today. I liked the Bolt a lot. It's flippy, but holy crap is it long. The Quasar was super overstable. The Rampage was a champ, but not quite as stable as I thought it might be. That Trespass was surprisingly stable. Beefy.