• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver Questions...

WaterHole

Bogey Member
I don't know why but I'm just asking... I have been able to drive my DX Archangel 300' or a little more... which I'm ecstatic about.. but I can't seem to do the same with my other drivers.. My other drivers seem to end up at the 225'-260' range ... Am I doing something or did I just get comfortable with the Archangel???

other drivers are as follows:

DX Sidewinder <-- close second I can throw about 275'
Champion Valkyrie
Champion Leopard

my mid ranges, I have been able to throw 225' - 250'

Kc Pro Roc
DX Cobra

Monarch might be a good bet if you like Innova discs.

Its a longer archangel. All are really US though and you just need to keep working them past 325' into the 400 range specially the valk.

Just keep working on your form. Also try out a dx teebird or a dx leopard.

Drivers in DX fly furthest for me with Star and Pro a close second. Distance wise I'm disappointed in Champion plastic no matter the disc, so I only use Champ for stuff that I want to stay overstable forever. The only Champ plastic in my bag is a Banshee and a heavy Teebird for wind.

During field practice I have thrown a Gazelle, Leopard and Roadrunner in Champ and got no distance with any of them. Now bear in mind these are fresh discs. Maybe after the flashing wears off they will get more glidey.

I'll keep practicing on my form. Looks like I'll go back to youtube for some more form video. I did pick up a DX Tee Bird last night I just didn't list it above only because I haven't thrown it yet. Also at this time I have to agree with you Curtis about the champ plastics. I can't wait to get my other drivers up and past 300'.. it's just a pretty sight to watch them sail :thmbup: I can't imagine what 400'+ will look like when I get there. ;)

i have recently revisited dx plastics for drivers.. They tend to have more glide and be less over stable. I also prefer the grip of dx plastic,they just dont like trees and sidewalks very much. you should like the tbird in dx, and it will help you dial things in. They also leave room for growth in distance without getting flippy. I didnt care for my sidewinder until i started throwing 300 on a regular basis. For me , the side winder hyzer flips easily but always finishes left. i am not sure at what distance it will turn over and stay? starting to like my star sidewinder at this point in my game. Things like the archangel, beast, or leopard (in dx) can roll over to the right and never come back. I have a road runner, that should be mr flippy roller disc, that just holds a line with out turning over and its champion. one other thing i recommend around this power bracket is keeping drivers around 160-165 g in weight.

I actually like my DX sidewinder when I throw mine it goes straight for a little bit then fades right which is what I expect it to do.. I have actually done semi circle anhyzer with the sidewinder when I had to go around a bunch of trees. I have yet to try the hyzer flip at all. I was waiting until I had the hyzer and anhyzer shots down comfortably. Overall at this point in my game DX plastic is my go to.. with the premium plastics which I still throw just is in the back seat.. I'm trying to be good and cycle them in so they eventually get broken in.

One reason I have more Star drivers than any other plastic is they fly almost like a fresh DX with quite a bit more durability. My slightly seasoned DX Teebird flies kind of like you describe your sidewinder but when new it flew more like my Star Teebirds. They are pretty straight with some fade at the end.

I don't know why but I'm just asking... I have been able to drive my DX Archangel 300' or a little more... which I'm ecstatic about.. but I can't seem to do the same with my other drivers.. My other drivers seem to end up at the 225'-260' range ... Am I doing something or did I just get comfortable with the Archangel???

I think you just got comfortable with it and are now more confident throwing it because you know what it will do. Same thing happened to me with my Mambas. (I have two, one Champ and one Echo Star.) Couldn't really get a feel for them until I threw them consistently. Now I can hyzer-flip them, turn them, roll them....pretty much any shot I need I can do with them. Love those discs.

Confidence goes a long way and can really up your drives once you know how to throw them.....but when you know you know how to throw them, that's when the magic happens. ;)

I think you just got comfortable with it and are now more confident throwing it because you know what it will do. Same thing happened to me with my Mambas. (I have two, one Champ and one Echo Star.) Couldn't really get a feel for them until I threw them consistently. Now I can hyzer-flip them, turn them, roll them....pretty much any shot I need I can do with them. Love those discs.

Confidence goes a long way and can really up your drives once you know how to throw them.....but when you know you know how to throw them, that's when the magic happens. ;)

Something occured to me after you posted this ^^
I added my confidence to all my discs. This might sound funny or wierd to to others but I don't care.. :p After two rounds yesterday I kept telling myself that if I could throw my Archangel 300' then all my discs can go that far.. :D The result was that I actually overshot some holes with my Champ Valkyrie and my Champ Leopard looked beautiful sailing across a fairway 300'+ I didn't measure it but it seemed to fly forever. Confidence goes a long way and now I see that.. Thanks guys :hfive:

I almost bought a Mamba today.. I liked the feel of it but they were so low on stock on all discs that I didn't want to just buy to buy I am gonna wait till I can find a good weight..

Confidence and KNOWING how your discs fly can go a long way. Keep at it with what works best for you. As your game progresses you will find what other discs fit your style. When you are first learning the game it is best to stick with a few discs that work well for you. Let the game come to you and as your form gets better things will fall into place.

I have actually begun thinking along those lines Roc.. Although I have 13 discs 4 or 5 actually make it out of the bag on the course, mostly my putters, mids and my champ leopard. I'm still learning my DX Tee Bird which I have only thrown a handful of times. I usually throw my others just in the field now to see how my form is progressing.. which I see a difference in almost every one during each field session.. I just have to be patient :\ which is hard when I see others throwing 500' .. it just looks so pretty :thmbup:

Wait until you get a random, hot chick as a double's partner. You'll become a Jedi disc Master for a round. :clap:

lmao.. I have yet to play anything other than casual rounds but I have thought about it seeing other scores from some tourneys even for a Rec Division. I might check out one of the Mini's on my home course when it gets warmer. But I do play better with others than by myself on the course..

Latest posts