• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Drivers: Do you prefer plastic to be on the stiff or soft end?

I have star, neutron, champ, Z, pro and opto in the bag. The one I like best is very dependent on the weather conditions. Humid vs dry, cold vs warm makes a difference in my gripping ability.

Personally I care about grip, but not flex so much. I like grippy.

I'm OK with flex to a point. I draw the line at anything that flexes in my hand on release. Aint got time for that.

I like esp FLX for my Nuke. I really appreciate the fact that it takes a hit and shows next to no wear. Chunked that sucker into a goal post trying to field throw and it survived without showing damage. I do notice that it shows symptoms of OAT more often than a stiffer plastic. You give to get...

flex doesnt terribly matter as long as it isnt extremely slick, or extremely grippy. star plastic is my perfect balance, although some old stiff star blends are a bit too slick for me. As is the avery blend of star.

I like Star plastic best, the older more stiffer Star plastic. The new Star stuff they're coming out with is softer than I like. I don't dislike GStar, but I like it better in colder weather; it's too soft in Atlanta heat in the summer. In drivers, GStar works well and is a bit more understable than Star (IMHO), which Champion feels fine but is definitely more stable/overstable than Star (and Innova even admits it). In mids and putters, GStar starts being too soft and I don't like it. (Though this thread is about drivers, I'll add that I prefer stiffer plastic putters, and stiffer Star plastic is perfect for me for mids and the TL.)

By the way, EchoStar plastic tends to be stiff like old Star plastic, though a touch more 'slick'. Try EchoStar if you want stiff plastic.

I also very much prefer MVP Neutron plastic over Proton and especially Soft Proton.

Substitute your brand's similar plastics in place of Innova plastics at will.

Last edited:

Latest posts