• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Driving Putter in Premium plastic

The Apex Bullet is a fantastic throwing putter. Possibly the longest throwing putter I've ever used. Maybe not great for finesse turnovers, but that's what I use a royal plastic bullet or forehand shot for

Honorable mention to the gold-x pure

If you are on the market for an US premium putter, the PA-5 has been so much fun to throw. I have two in 400. Flippy and touchy, but great for BH shots in the woods that fly like a FH, and also hyzer flips that slowly and continuously drift to the right the whole time. Very modern, shallow feel.

I've been really enjoying the Reko for my premium putter. It's one of the few putters I've tried (and I've tried a bunch) that molds up almost the same in premium and baseline plastic. I know the gyro putters mold up similarly in different plastics, but I like the Reko because it feels like a putter instead of a tweener like the Envy, Proxy, or even the Pilot (and K1 feels much better than electron, imo).

I've been really enjoying the Reko for my premium putter. It's one of the few putters I've tried (and I've tried a bunch) that molds up almost the same in premium and baseline plastic. I know the gyro putters mold up similarly in different plastics, but I like the Reko because it feels like a putter instead of a tweener like the Envy, Proxy, or even the Pilot (and K1 feels much better than electron, imo).

I also bag the Reko. I find it to feel like a 3 speed, but it is "chunky/clunky/less glidey" enough to fly a little slower and fly not as far as something like the proxy.

I personally feel like K3 molds more puddle topped and shallower, but K1 and K3 both feel and fly great!

I am a wizard lover (I have 4x as many wizards as I do any other mold). I have never bagged an evo/platinum/diamond wizard for more than a few weeks. They have less glide, more OS finishing but touchier to oat and angles. Any Base wizard flies more pure. We are in an age where there are so many options of modern premium throwing putters, many of which were designed to fly best in premium.

If you like wizard flight and feel I would try Ions
If you want shallower beaded and workable Reko
If you want k3 reko shallow but in premium try a Diamond Chief
If you want something so long and straight you will question dropping your mids try Proxys
If you want something as or more OS than a fresh wizard try Envy
If you want a lot of beef but traditional putter feel try an Armor Scale
If you want something that goes dead straight with glide try a Opto Pure
If you want something really straight thrown hard or soft but doesn't glide try an Armor Serpent
If you want something that very versatile, glides and flies exactly how you throw it try an Inner Core
If you want something goofy, fun to throw and capable of a lot of shot shapes, or are upset I didn't suggest any innova try a halo polecat (I do love some polecats)

(I really really like throwing putters and have tried so many more than just listed here)

Last edited:
I also bag the Reko. I find it to feel like a 3 speed, but it is "chunky/clunky/less glidey" enough to fly a little slower and fly not as far as something like the proxy.

I personally feel like K3 molds more puddle topped and shallower, but K1 and K3 both feel and fly great!

It is interesting how much shallower K3 feels just from the slight puddle tops. I am an odd ball and like a deeper rim along with a puddle top for putting. My puddled wizards feel nearly as shallow as a reko or voodoo and but fill the hand nicely.

If you like beaded putters I'm a huge fan of 400 Glow PA-3. You can hammer on them and they're insanely torque resistant. Just check out Vaino throwing them. It's the perfect combination of stability and glide. I never like Envy's because they were way too fast for what I want a throwing putter to be.

Friends I'm looking for something like a discraft fierce in fancy plastic. Preferably something on the more tacky side like old star or esp plastic. I'm open to try any company. Not hung up on beaded or beadless just want something slightly understable that won't beat into a super roller at 150'.

Friends I'm looking for something like a discraft fierce in fancy plastic. Preferably something on the more tacky side like old star or esp plastic. I'm open to try any company. Not hung up on beaded or beadless just want something slightly understable that won't beat into a super roller at 150'.

The new tour series (23 with bottom stamp) fierce is in esp, slightly more stable than the z/cryztal. Ezra just put out a flight example vid today. Looks good to me. (Luna too?)

I think the best thing about the fierce is that it is difficult to get it to cutroll on turnovers. Paige talks about this a lot in her review videos. I've been throwing the fierce a ton in the last month and don't know why I haven't before. Best in class IMO.

I've also had a PA5 since release. Flight is fierce comparable, it feels shallower because of the less rounded shoulder, but it has a little less torque resistance. The 400 is a little more understable than the z-class fierce and the 500 spectrum will be a tick more stable than the 400. Is good.

The new tour series (23 with bottom stamp) fierce is in esp, slightly more stable than the z/cryztal. Ezra just put out a flight example vid today. Looks good to me. (Luna too?)

I think the best thing about the fierce is that it is difficult to get it to cutroll on turnovers. Paige talks about this a lot in her review videos. I've been throwing the fierce a ton in the last month and don't know why I haven't before. Best in class IMO.

I've also had a PA5 since release. Flight is fierce comparable, it feels shallower because of the less rounded shoulder, but it has a little less torque resistance. The 400 is a little more understable than the z-class fierce and the 500 spectrum will be a tick more stable than the 400. Is good.

I really like the fierce brand new in the base plastic but seems like I'm only getting about 20 rounds out of them before they get way too understable. I suppose I should try them in the new esp I'm just worried I'd be spending 20+ dollars and it arrives in the modern flavor of way too stiff no grip esp plastic.

I have one of the 2021(?) ones. Its probably big Z but feels more ESP. I can dig it out and be sure. While I like the flight I sure don't like the grip much and would be willing to sell/trade it if someone wants/needs one.

I have one of the 2021(?) ones. Its probably big Z but feels more ESP. I can dig it out and be sure. While I like the flight I sure don't like the grip much and would be willing to sell/trade it if someone wants/needs one.

The modern esp blend is such a let down. I have no idea why discraft modified the blend. Pretty much 99.9% of pfn esp discs feel identical in grip and stiffness. Then sometime a couple years ago they started screwing with the mix and now they're stiff and slick and half as grippy and about 2/3 as durable as they used to be.

The modern esp blend is such a let down. I have no idea why discraft modified the blend. Pretty much 99.9% of pfn esp discs feel identical in grip and stiffness. Then sometime a couple years ago they started screwing with the mix and now they're stiff and slick and half as grippy and about 2/3 as durable as they used to be.

Covid brought polymer shortages and it seemed like a lot of companies blends changed some.

Covid brought polymer shortages and it seemed like a lot of companies blends changed some.

I think they started pre covid with the blend fiddling. Getting anything mid covid was a nightmare I had people file testing scrap bar in like 5 states in hopes of getting 2024 aluminum. 7075 and all 6000 series was abundant and then I ran into some nonsense getting essentially fake uhmw from reputable suppliers.

It was a mess. I didn't throw much discraft other than old stuff I had for ages between 2012 and the Anax release so I am not sure. I do know it was hit or miss to get Anax I liked after the 1060 run.

Well proton soft OTB ohms are being released tomorrow. That should be an amazing driving putter. I hope it sparks an awakening of a truly underrated mold. Wind resistance and glide for days with a touch of fade

Premium putter question...

Does anyone actually use premium plastic putters for putting? By "premium plastic" I mean anything like ESP, Lucid, champion, etc. I tried using a tour series Fierce for putting for a bit, and I just wasn't any good with it.

Are premium plastic putters meant mainly for driving or upshots?

Haven't seen an Ohm in real life. How do they compare with the Proxy and Pure?

I feel like it's a little shallower than the pure, Flys pretty similar to proxy and pure. It's like a broken in envy. Resists wind well, goes laser straight or holds a line, glides great, decent for FH'S. If you have a weaker arm it glides better than a proxy. If I had to have only one putter in fresh premium plastic that would be it.

I like premium plastic putters, clean releases, last forever, little extra fade... I play a minimal bag or some 3 disc often. Mostly I pack a premium envy (maybe 2) and an electron one. I drive or putt with either but I'm somewhat gentle on the electron soft, it has so many aces on it I'd hate to beat it up unnecessarily. I play on rock piles that just eat baseline by the chunk

Last edited:

Latest posts