• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Driving Putter in Premium plastic

Does anyone actually use premium plastic putters for putting? By "premium plastic" I mean anything like ESP, Lucid, champion, etc. I tried using a tour series Fierce for putting for a bit, and I just wasn't any good with it.

Are premium plastic putters meant mainly for driving or upshots?

I outted premium Ions, Anodes and Envys before electrons came out. They seemed to grab chains just as well but electron gives me a better grip.

Aside from overmolded discs, I haven't seen premium putters work well for putts. And since we have electron these days I don't know of any reason to putt premium plastic.

Well proton soft OTB ohms are being released tomorrow. That should be an amazing driving putter. I hope it sparks an awakening of a truly underrated mold. Wind resistance and glide for days with a touch of fade

The OHM lost any thunder it had by how good Pilots are. I know it was advertised as a solo mold OHM, so you would think the gyro version would get more love. I liked em, but they are so overshadowed by Envy/Ion/Proxy

The OHM lost any thunder it had by how good Pilots are. I know it was advertised as a solo mold OHM, so you would think the gyro version would get more love. I liked em, but they are so overshadowed by Envy/Ion/Proxy

Actually the Ohm was advertised as an overmold Pilot since the Pilot predated the Ohm. My sample of one proton Pilot didn't seem to glide as well as the Ohm.

Yeah I don't think the pilot is very awesome in a premium plastic... I still have one glow one, I think.. it just came up short next to the ohm, nowhere near the glide. I grabbed the glow pilot for night rounds after digging the ohm and wasn't very enthusiastic after I threw it. I picked up the ohm earlier on a whim because the se stamp looked kinda like the IBEW logo, it had the squared inner rim i wanted a proxy replacement and to try it. It was good enough to make me question my putter line up and get a few backups.

An amazing one disc choice for a round but not currently in my bag.

Does anyone actually use premium plastic putters for putting? By "premium plastic" I mean anything like ESP, Lucid, champion, etc. I tried using a tour series Fierce for putting for a bit, and I just wasn't any good with it.

Star, g-star, r-pro, and soft-exo over here.

I putted ions for a while before electron ions existed. Actually was still putting them when electron came out with atoms. I largely was doing it because I was throwing rather minimal and loved them for throwing.
I had to stop because how finnicky the baskets at Clark Centennial park are, and it became my new home course. Bounce outs and cut throughs seemed more common.
Before then there was a solid half a year I putted gummy Cryztal Challengers fairly successfully but it was more the lack of glide I liked than the plastic, though I did find my release to be pretty good with them.
More recently I also putted K2 berg for a long while. K3 wasn't out yet, and I was loving the berg for everything. The low glide mold was great for nose up spin putts and short come backers.
I eventually swapped em out for fossil serpents, more traditional shape, similar glide and better putter plastics. I doubt I will be back to premium putters again, I have rekindled my love for beat in warped putting putters.

Actually the Ohm was advertised as an overmold Pilot since the Pilot predated the Ohm. My sample of one proton Pilot didn't seem to glide as well as the Ohm.

Thank you for the clarification, I definitely had that backwards.

I have heard good things. Do you know if they are going to continue making them now that they are having their new stuff made by MVP?

I don't know who made the one I threw or who makes them now. The one I threw was equivalent to glow champ. It flew well on hyzer, anhyzer and forehand. I was throwing it in the dark on the Whipping Post in Paw Paw. It was fantastic, a buzzz in putter form… Trancendent.

Did some digging into this, and now I am intrigued. I've been considering something a tad more stable than the K1 Reko.

Is the Sea Otter actually shallow? How's the dome?
It was more shallow than my omegas. It had a slight dome but wasn't what I consider domey.
The sea otter was really comfortable to throw. The flight and controllability were fantastic.