• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Putter: Sole, or Summit?

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
Looking at checking out a Vibram putter for driving, and curious which of the two above might fit the bill better. I like beadless putters and currently go Opto Pure off the tee, but feel like trying something different.

What I am looking for most is a feel that is similar to the Pure. Can anyone who has thrown these two Vibrams and a Pure comment on their similarities or differences? Thanks in advance.

From my very limited experience with these molds I'd say the Summit would probably "feel" more like a Pure but would also be less stable. The Sole felt deeper than the Pure but the stability is probably closer

I would say niether would be my choice as a driver. They are too understable for driving, unless that is what you are looking for. I know a few people who like to drive with the VP. I am not insulting the sole, it is a great disc, but I did not like it for driving.

Yeah sole is more stable than the summit but neither are close driving wise to a pure. I tried the sole for a while after I soured on the wizard due to my awful putting. To me the wizard is hands down the best driving putter. I went back to it after trying many molds and now wished I would have never left it.

Have to agree with anything previously stated...

Sole is deeper than the Summit - brings more glide obviously.

Summit can be a nice driver but it is a little too understable. VPs for driving are nice, they can handle a strong throw.

I love the Summit for short anhyzers and the VP for short Hyzers, but don't like any of the Vibram discs as much as a Wizard for "normal" putter driving. The Ridge is closest, but fades more and doesn't glide as much. I'll reiterate though that I do really like the two Vibram "utility" putters, and throw each on the average round.

I prefer a beadless putter, and it sounds like the Vibrams in that range may not be it. Unless the Summit is nice on a hyzer flip...

Have you ever handled an Anode? They fly nice on a drive and are pretty much beadless. I've only tried the VP and ridge from Vibram so I can't comment on soles or summits.

Have you ever handled an Anode? They fly nice on a drive and are pretty much beadless. I've only tried the VP and ridge from Vibram so I can't comment on soles or summits.

I have thrown an Anode, but I am not a huge fan of the inner rim shape. It does fly nice, but just a little uncomfortable for me.

Summit will feel more similar than the sole to a pure due to its lower profile.
Flightwise, idk how a sole flies on a drive. Summit is less stable at low and hi speeds and doesnt glide as well as the pure imo.

Maybe a P2? Beadless, stable/overstable for a putter. It will be a bit deeper than your pure as well. Challenger is also relatively beadless in the way the anode is. Its a great throwing putter also.

I prefer the pure tho, fwiw

Maybe I'll just pick up an Ibex or something then. Wanna try more Vibram, just not sure where they will fit with my current setup (and my distaste for beads).

Maybe I'll just pick up an Ibex or something then. Wanna try more Vibram, just not sure where they will fit with my current setup (and my distaste for beads).

If youre looking to compliment your setup, VP will be the best choice.

If you find yourself liking the VP for driving, that would open up your driving putter opportunities.

And is it me, or does the Pure have a bead, albeit a micro bead?

If you find yourself liking the VP for driving, that would open up your driving putter opportunities.

And is it me, or does the Pure have a bead, albeit a micro bead?

It definitely would open up my driving putter options. I had an Ion and a Wizard before, but didn't like them.

The Pure doesn't have a noticeable microbead to me, but the Sinus I just picked up does.

It's like they kept adding just a little more until they found the perfect stability. I just discovered them and have fallen head over heels. I understand your need to mix it up though. I got real tired of my bag after a year and a half of not changing it.

It's like they kept adding just a little more until they found the perfect stability. I just discovered them and have fallen head over heels. I understand your need to mix it up though. I got real tired of my bag after a year and a half of not changing it.

Yeah, I am one fickle SOB when it comes to discs. But that's half the fun of it for me, and I like a lot of Vibram's philosophies about the direction of the sport, so I want to support them.

I may just pick up a Summit because it sounds kinda fun to throw. I dig understable stuff that I can flip up easily, as you can tell by my sig.

Latest posts