• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving the Putter

aron_w

Bogey Member
Hello. I'm Aron. I'm new to disc golf and new to here. I have been posting and participating for awhile, but was not aware of this newbie section. Oops.

So, I have been getting all kinds of advice to hit an open field and drive with putters. What's good, putter-wise? To me, inside 30', a putter is a putter. I never get inspired to get a new putter when I go disc browsing. I currently use a 168g Aviar Classic. I have been eyeballing the R-Pro Dart. Any thoughts on the Dart, also?

Thanks!

Any Aviar is a great putter for driving. The Dart, on the other hand, isn't really known as a fantastic mold. I have used it, and although it is good for driving, I didn't like the feel of it, and I don't particularly like R-Pro plastic, either.

If you want to try a new putter, I would suggest going to a store and picking out one that feels good.

My suggestion for getting a putter is one that feels good in the hand and is easily purchased. I live in MO, so Gateway is everywhere. My putter is a Wizard.

Wizards are fantastic, if you can get your hands on them. Go to your local PIAS and see what's in the used bin. I think most people go through several before the decide on what they really like.

I drive with SSS Wizards and Classic Judges.

Darts are great driving putters. I'd pick something slower like your Aviar for putts but Darts are great for drives and upshots.

I use Ions myself and have a lot of success with them.

I wouldn't just go on what feels good, do some research on what flight you want.

Dart isn't a bad choice if you like the feel.

Some people like one Overstable and one Stable driving putter.

I currently have a Jokeri and Pure as my driving putters. Jokeri is good for headwinds, right to left finishes, flex shots and FH. Pure is dead straight and good at anhyzers, hyzers and straight.

Last edited:
Other discs that might get you good glide for your speed would be an XD or an Aero depending on what feel you like.Both can be had for cheap onlinein DX plastic. XD is very low pro and the Aero is rather big and bulky with a high shoulder. The dart is closer to an Aero. When you feel like you are ready for a driver I would recommend an Archangel. General rule of thumb is if the disc goes right RHBH than you are either out of synch, throwing too hard, or need more disc.

I am a big fan of the putters that feel more like mid than a putter, so the dart fell into my hands very naturally. I have been using these as at least a solid approach disc since they come out. I cycle KC Pro Aviars, r prodarts, discmania d p3's, and Mc pro aviars for an approach/putt disc depending on the course and wind. The rpro darts are the most forgiving speed 3 in my bag for shots 40-100 feet. I usually pull out a mc pro for my 40 and under putts. Sometimes I go to the KC Pro Aviar for a while and shelf my mcpro's but the darts stay in the bag at all times because I can throw that disc the same way every time, flat until the end when it fades maybe a foot or two back toward stable and sticks to the ground for hyzer, or exactly the opposite for anhyzer. Like the most beat in DX roc one could dream of, minus 30 feet in max distance.

Also for the record, the R pro dart is the least domey of the dart plastics available. The domier discs seem to hold neutral lines better but I have two R pro's that look collapsed and flat topped and they are the most predictable darts I have. I have two echo stars that are domey but they are unpredictable in flight unless underpowered. I also have a factory 2nd metal flake that has no glide or stability, despite being pretty flat. DX ones are the same way in my experience.

I would avoid the Dart for now. I'm no expert, I think it's a very unique disc. I might try it again some day but I don't recommend it for a beginner. Been there done that.

I would avoid the Dart for now. I'm no expert, I think it's a very unique disc. I might try it again some day but I don't recommend it for a beginner. Been there done that.

Interesting, the Dart is the disc I putt best with. My Aviar feels like I'm throwing the lid off a large fountain soda, and I can't control my Soft Magnet. I've tried a few other putters but none feel right like the Dart. I don't have a year in playing yet.

Interesting, the Dart is the disc I putt best with. My Aviar feels like I'm throwing the lid off a large fountain soda, and I can't control my Soft Magnet. I've tried a few other putters but none feel right like the Dart. I don't have a year in playing yet.

i felt the same way when i started playing. aviars felt like deep dish pizza pans. i didn't touch one for almost two years. then i gave them a chance randomly one day while practicing with a friend and BOOM they felt totally different.

It's really just a feel thing. My first putters were a DX Aero and Rhyno. I picked up a DX Aviar for a while, and eventually tried some different plastics, R-Pro and KC Pro. I found that I liked the stiffer KC plastic better for putting and driving. The PA4 is also an awesome driving putter in the 400 plastic. You can really push it out there on a good rip, with no fade to speak of.

The Dart is a fine disc. However don't ever listen to anyone when it comes to putters. Everyone has their own style of putting and they all have putter preferences for driving as well. You just need to figure out your preference of stability and line shape and go from there.

Most people want a heavier weight and overstable to stable putter for driving. The Dart is very stable/straight. It does have some high speed turn but it should come back to straight. Try one. I used one for upshots for years. The only reason I quit using it is the R-Pro plastic got flippy in the TX heat, and as it beat in, it was less predictable.

If it's not what you're looking for then trade it or pair it with something more overstable.

Aviar is where it's at! And if you already have one just stick with it.

I have one summer's worth of disc golf experience. I have an embarrassingly large collection of putters. I throw my gateway magic and wizard for like 19 out of 20 throws while the rest stay at home. If I had to chose one it would be the magic. If I were to introduce a friend to disc golf I would buy them a medium magic (and nothing else).

I'm just one guy and my opinion isn't worth a whole lot, but it's one more data point for you to consider.

Play it Again Sports, here, sells the SuperSoft Wizard for 20 bucks. I have never paid that much for a disc. Maybe I can trade that price down.

I started with a Pro-D Challenger and then got addicted to disc buying and picked up the Aviar Classic. I liked the feel better so the Challenger went in the trunk. I later tried the Polecat. I immediately hated it. It could have been my mistake for getting 150G, but I didn't like the deep dish of it, either. It sucked other discs into it, in my bag. So, I'm just rolling with the Aviar Classic.

Play it Again Sports, here, sells the SuperSoft Wizard for 20 bucks. I have never paid that much for a disc. Maybe I can trade that price down.

I started with a Pro-D Challenger and then got addicted to disc buying and picked up the Aviar Classic. I liked the feel better so the Challenger went in the trunk. I later tried the Polecat. I immediately hated it. It could have been my mistake for getting 150G, but I didn't like the deep dish of it, either. It sucked other discs into it, in my bag. So, I'm just rolling with the Aviar Classic.

http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/ST-1606/Super-Soft-Wizard/

$10 on Marshall street any color or weight you want

So now I have to ask, what's the advantage of driving with a putter? Why not use a disc designed to be a driver?