• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving videos please critique drivers barely outdistancing putters

maybe it just didn't follow the discs long enough, but at least in that video it looked like the drivers were significantly outdriving the wizard.

Regardless there was one part of your form I noticed that you could definitely improve on, and that was Through the end of your pull through and release you still have a lot of your weight on your back foot. Your front foot almost seems confused what to do as its rotating 180 degrees flat on the ground. This is causing you to lose a lot of momentum on your throw because your body is trying to stop, and unless you get on your front toe or heel and rotate around that momentum will continue to be lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

watch what Avery Jenkins is doing with his feet right when he's pulling through. I think if you could get that ironed out you will be adding a noticeable amount to your distance.

your form is fairly clean. but you are getting nose up on your drivers. your wizard went on a much lower line than your two drivers. also premium plastic discs like champ and Z don't go as far DX or X or Pro. You may want to consider a switch. also what grip are you using for your drivers? grip is key for big drives.

you may want to post these vids on DGR and see what they have to say over there.

also, on your reach back, start your pull higher
don't swoop it
it will also help with keeping the nose down, which will give more distance too

Feet, there's always lots of little things that can be fixed. The most obvious and biggest issue it seems to me is the footwork. The improper weight distribution takes away a lot of the benefit of a proper x-step.

But not bad looking throws really. I just figure it may help you separate your Wizard and Valkyrie.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking it may be in his grip. I think this guy said he's only 15 or something so he may not have enough hand strength at the moment.

so what grip should i use and does improper weight distribution just mean not e3nough weight over front foot?

theres a very real possibility that the grip has some work to do. I personally can't see anything definitive about that in these videos, but when I look at the rotation of his body, I see he gets the same rotation as I do. I only throw a standstill Backhand. That tells me that something was wrong there, not involving his body quite enough. I wish I could throw like that when I was 15 though, or that I played at all.

i know this is a bit off topic, but i couldn't tell how far your disc traveled....did you throw over the train? hit it? come short of it? lol.

so what grip should i use and does improper weight distribution just mean not e3nough weight over front foot?

Im not sure on the grip, but as far as weight goes, try to pick up your back foot on your pull through and pivot on your front foot. This will swing your body around and wont drag your back foot, holding you back. Just watch the beginning of the avery jenkins video back to back with your drives paying attention to the back foot in particular.

Not an easy change, but one that I think could have good results for you.

so just pick the back foot up and do what with the front foot?

and the drive went over the train maybe 330' not a great drive

Put your weight on the front or the back of your foot so that you can pivot on it. Just pretend your doing a standstill drive and throw your arm around keeping all your weight on your front foot. When you do that try to spin at least 180 degrees on your foot. Whichever way you find to do it that feels comfortable stick with that.
That exercise will help you find where to put your balance on the front foot. Then to practice it use a standstill drive for a few throws to get the weight distribution right before moving back into your x-step.

so just pick the back foot up and do what with the front foot?

and the drive went over the train maybe 330' not a great drive

nice. kinda funny that you threw over the train rather than waiting for it to pass.:clap:

Noticed the mountains in the background...what elevation are you at...discs fly differently at higher elevations...sound advice regarding the front foot..be prepared to lose some control at first but once you get comfortable you will feel the power.

It could of been that the video was only three seconds, but the Wizard did not seem to go 300 ft there.

First, you're throwing with the wrong hand! (Sorry, that joke never gets old for me.)

Second, you definitely need to get your weight forward more. You shoudn't have any weight on your back foot when you get into the power zone (when the disc passes your left pec.) I'd work on that before messing with anything else. That Dan Beto video where he works from the hit back will help with that a lot. Try shortning up your plant step to see if that makes it easier, too. It will probably mess up your throw for a little while, but if you can do all the same stuff you're doing now but with your weight forward I think you'll be pretty happy with the results.

Thrid, and this is for everyone else, watch how slow he comes into the power zone and how late he accelerates.

I'd also recommend the Beto video. I'll watch that one randomly just to keep my self honest.

Latest posts