• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

driving w/midrange to improve?

wertyuio17

I have heard tons of people say to learn how to drive with a midrange to improve your driving, But i am yet to hear why it helps? Can someone please explain?
And speaking of midranges, I cant grip them for crap! the deep dome really screws me up. i have small hands, so what grip should i be using? I recently just stop using them(Buzzz and shark) and have been using an old teebird as my midrange, but i want to give them another chance. Please Help!!!:eek:

When you learn to control a disc with less mass on the rim by making it go through its full cycle of flight - it then becomes that much easier to understand and control faster more overstable discs.
It's an exercise in understanding the proper applicatin of torque to the rim - so that OAT (Off Axis Torque) is controlled, and distance is maximized.
Example - the other day I step up to Hole 10 at Seneca, and one of our newer up and comers steps up with a driver - pures the fairway and flies by the basket by at least 60'. The hole is about 320' with a slight L-R bend. I said dude tone it down it's just an Aviar from here, and proceeded to show him the high slow anny that ended 6' from the basket.
I'll exagerate the example and say learn to throw a lid 70-80 yards. It'll give you a fuller understanding of and ability to control a discs flight characteristics.

As far as grip goes - there's no one right way. Play catch with your mid ranges. It'll allow you multiple throws in a short period - making it easier to experiment and get comfortable with your grip.

I think it is also just a matter of the fact that drivers can mask your mistakes because they happen to go further more easily. There is a very obvious difference between bad and good form when trying to get max distance out of a putter or mid; less so with drivers.

For example, I thought I was doing really well when my drives were hitting 300 feet. Then I tried driving with a Roc and found that after a few rounds, I can drive that 300 feet also. I think I adjusted my technique subconsciously to get the extra distance. Back to drivers and I am throwing them 330 to 350 feet regularly now.

Progress :)

When you learn to control a disc with less mass on the rim by making it go through its full cycle of flight - it then becomes that much easier to understand and control faster more overstable discs.

I DONT THINK ERIC COULD HAVE SAID IT BETTER. (SORRY CAPS WONT COME OFF, CHEAP ASS WORK COMPUTER)

As far as grip goes - there's no one right way. Play catch with your mid ranges. It'll allow you multiple throws in a short period - making it easier to experiment and get comfortable with your grip.
While there might not be one, single right way, there are things your grip must do to be effective. There are also lots and lots of wrong ways.

If you're having trouble gripping mids there's almost certainly something wrong with your grip. Check out this article and work on getting a power grip to work:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

What I try and tell people regarding grip is this. First and foremost, your grip has to be comfortable.
Second - pretend the rim is a small animal - like a parakeet, a snake, or a gerbil - grip the rim as you would that small animal - firmly enough so that it can't get away - or bite you - but not so firmly that you kill it!! This is usually a good place to start. Good Luck!

What I try and tell people regarding grip is this. First and foremost, your grip has to be comfortable.
Second - pretend the rim is a small animal - like a parakeet, a snake, or a gerbil - grip the rim as you would that small animal - firmly enough so that it can't get away - or bite you - but not so firmly that you kill it!! This is usually a good place to start. Good Luck!

nice comparison ill have to remember that for when im teaching my kids again.

It's an exercise in understanding the proper applicatin of torque to the rim - so that OAT (Off Axis Torque) is controlled, and distance is maximized.
Example - the other day I step up to Hole 10 at Seneca, and one of our newer up and comers steps up with a driver - pures the fairway and flies by the basket by at least 60'. The hole is about 320' with a slight L-R bend. I said dude tone it down it's just an Aviar from here, and proceeded to show him the high slow anny that ended 6' from the basket.
I'll exaggerate the example and say learn to throw a lid 70-80 yards. It'll give you a fuller understanding of and ability to control a discs flight characteristics.

I have seen most newcomers can't believe you can throw a putter farther than 40 ft. I was playing with some first timers, and the guy was about 70 feet from the basket, and reached for his driver. I told him to throw his putter, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I told him, even as a new player you should be able to throw you putter at least 80-100 ft. He threw his putter and was surprised how well it worked.

Yo buddy! I've been in the same exact position as you are!!! Seriously!!! And yes I pulled thru. Here is what I found. First of all 7 out of the top ten pros in the world dont use a standard power grip for mid-range grips (Climo doesnt even use the standard power grip for drives-check the Dave Dunnipace(innova Yeah) guide to grips). Don't believe me just go to you-tube and find the Dave Feldberg tips on grip video. The fan grip is apparently the top grip for 7 out of the top 10 pros currently for Roc's(the top mid-range pro disc) and other mid rangers, watch the video. I switched, and my mid-range throws became way more consistent instantly!! but to make every type of mid-range throw I had to constantly practice just to get near the level of pros. Everything really does come down to repitition & muscle memory especially in the tight woods! Good Discin brah!!

Oh I forgot the reason it helps is this. Mid-range discs require a combination of spin and disc speed, while drivers will let you get away with just speed (and sloppy form) for above average drive lengths. Too many people base drive success purely on length while accuracy is way more important. ( I throw over 450, but distance means nothing without accuracy as a top local pro and myself agree!). I've thrown for over 400 and gotten double bogeys on many holes and I consider my putting to be the best part of my game! but yeah mid-rangers will improve you overall!!! I wish I learned that way... Good discin bro!!!

Oh I forgot the reason it helps is this. Mid-range discs require a combination of spin and disc speed, while drivers will let you get away with just speed (and sloppy form) for above average drive lengths. Too many people base drive success purely on length while accuracy is way more important. ( I throw over 450, but distance means nothing without accuracy as a top local pro and myself agree!). I've thrown for over 400 and gotten double bogeys on many holes and I consider my putting to be the best part of my game! but yeah mid-rangers will improve you overall!!! I wish I learned that way... Good discin bro!!!

can you post a video because that is freakin amazing. do you average over 400 or is that like a rare feat.

can you post a video because that is freakin amazing. do you average over 400 or is that like a rare feat.

Sorry brah my post was confusing, I throw over 450' with my long range drivers. I've only recently thrown over 350' with my mid-range discs (thanks to videos and articles by top pros) but distance doesnt mean much without accuracy for real!! My home course is a top level Heavily wooded pro length course, but I think it helps me in the long run cuz since i've been unemployed i've rededicated my life to disc gold so hopefully watch out. I love this game and if you don't i'lll convince you!!!