• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drop dead time for player check in?

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Had a sold-out event this past weekend. Was wondering how other TD's handle this...Had a couple of no-shows and a couple of people on the waitlist show up in person. Does anyone require that all players check in by a certain time? I am thinking of doing that like 15 minutes prior to a shotgun start so I know what to tell the folks who did show up from the waitlist. So basically, I'll put on the registration page some verbiage like so, "If you fail to check in at tournament central or contact the TD at least 15 minutes prior to tee off you will be considered a no-show and your spot will be given to the next person on the waitlist."

Is there anything in the PDGA event guides or anything like that preventing me from doing something like that? Or is there something I might be missing?

I publish the checkin time on my website and on the schedule on discgolfscene.com.

Competition Manual
1.04 Event Check-In
A. Pre-tournament check-in is required for players in Majors, Elite Series/National Tour and A-Tier events and is suggested for all other tiers.
B. Any player who does not check in by the time specified by the Tournament Director shall forfeit their official place and entry fee. Exceptions will be made only at the sole discretion of the Tournament Director.

If you wish to sell those forfeited spots to someone on standby, there is no prohibition in doing so.

I publish the checkin time on my website and on the schedule on discgolfscene.com.

If you wish to sell those forfeited spots to someone on standby, there is no prohibition in doing so.

Oh awesome! Guess I missed that line when I was looking through the comp manual the first time. That's exactly what I needed to know - thanks.

I always post check in times on the schedule. There is fifteen minutes between last check in and the player meeting to allow time to remove no-shows and get a couple of waitlisters registered before the player meeting.

Saturday
Player Check in from 7:00 to 8:30.
Player Meeting 8:45
Shotgun Start 9:00

Players in So Cal know that if you get stuck in a traffic jam or are otherwise delayed, to call the TD (or your buddies) and let them know you are on the way. This way you don't have to worry about your spot being given to a waitlist player while you hustle around the traffic, park and get to your assigned hole before tee off. There are usually two to three waitlist players standing by on event day to take the spots of any last minute cancellations (or late players that didn't bother to call).

Latest posts