• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drug testing at swiss event this weekend

First, let me state I am totally for drug testing in certain aspects of sports. There are numerous drugs that have been proven to give people an edge in specific circumstances and I'm all for curtailing that, it's dangerous and sends a bad message to others.

However… Until there is a test that can identify when the use of the substance occurred and if the person is definitely under the influence of that substance during the test then drug testing will never be an exact science for a sporting event which is why I find it endlessly agonizing that in 2021 it still happens all the time. I live in a legal state(WA) and I smoke a ton, it would take me 2+ months to pee clean but within the next two days after stopping smoking I'd not be under the influence, that's my issue with simply testing for any "drugs" and taking in no account of how slowly or quickly they metabolize… it's just a test fail. That's the system that needs advancements, what someone does in their own free time should have no merit for failing a drug screening for a scheduled event but until there is a reliable way to prove "high during time of testing" it's never going to move forward.

Drugs in your system and being currently high on a substance is a huuuuuuuuge difference. Based on the regulations in place currently you could get a false positive for PCP if you had a bad cold a day before and took a bunch of Cough Syrup that has DXM in it which is standard over-the-counter stuff.

What makes you say you would not be under the influence after two days?

Not to derail too much but does stuff like Aderall show up on these tests? I've never taken it and I'm fortunate that I don't have ADHD or anything. I would imagine it would be beneficial in scenarios that require a high degree of focus e.g. death putts, island holes, etc

Yes Adderall shows up on the tests.

What makes you say you would not be under the influence after two days?
There have been a few "impairment related" studies conducted, this one I remember said around 10 hours but I like some fudge factor so I'd go two days to be sure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100056998

It's always been a source of contention in legal states and some states had more push-back, so much that the "in your system" vs "impaired" argument has prolonged or even halted their laws changing at times.

Not to derail too much but does stuff like Aderall show up on these tests? I've never taken it and I'm fortunate that I don't have ADHD or anything. I would imagine it would be beneficial in scenarios that require a high degree of focus e.g. death putts, island holes, etc

I take it and honestly don't know if I notice any difference in that regard compared to when I wasn't taking it.

It's commonly thought that dopamine levels are low in people with ADHD, and when that occurs a couple of different regions in the brain aren't working in coordination…and coordination amongst those regions is what maximizes focus. So the meds help elevate dopamine so your brain activity gets back in sync.

The trick is though that it's common for people with ADHD to hyper focus on things. Basically you find something that does provide that dopamine hit and you subconsciously fixate on it, almost like self medication. For me I've always felt DG was a hyper focus activity…visualizing the disc flights in front of me, all that stuff really engaged the brain.

It might be different for others though. Adderall definitely will not make you less nervous about a comeback putt, but it might allow you not be as distracted by minor surroundings. Similar concept to people wearing earbuds during a round. Some do it for the music, others do it simply to help tune out distractions.

Meds physically won't make you a better putter. If your stroke is inconsistent and irreproducible you need more practice, simple as that. It also constricts your blood vessels…probably not a huge side effect when disc golfing but I definitely can tell a difference if I go for a run after taking it. My level of perceived effort is way higher, so if I need to hit a weekend long run I won't take it until after I'm done.

There have been a few "impairment related" studies conducted, this one I remember said around 10 hours but I like some fudge factor so I'd go two days to be sure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100056998

It's always been a source of contention in legal states and some states had more push-back, so much that the "in your system" vs "impaired" argument has prolonged or even halted their laws changing at times.

When I was 16 there was a period of time where I smoked pretty regularly. My recollection is that I felt foggy all the time and when I stopped smoking it took me some time to feel like my head was really clear. The article kind of addresses that. No argument that a person could have detectable THC without being impaired considering it supposedly takes 30 days or more to get clear.

When I was 16 there was a period of time where I smoked pretty regularly. My recollection is that I felt foggy all the time and when I stopped smoking it took me some time to feel like my head was really clear. The article kind of addresses that. No argument that a person could have detectable THC without being impaired considering it supposedly takes 30 days or more to get clear.
I smoke 5-7+ times a day and conservatively consume over 300mg a day easily, I worked in the legal industry here in WA for 3+ years where the police have cheek swabs that will supposedly test for recent consumption, the rule everyone who worked in the industry told me is if you're pulled over for something and they say you smell like cannabis you tell them the last time you smoked was over 12 hours ago, they usually don't try and test then though I haven't been pulled over for 10+ Years so that's not really something I plan for, but it does happen. The major problem with that style of testing is how fast one person metabolizes the product versus another, some people can take a 10mg edible at night to fall asleep and they would only test positive for a day or so afterwards if it was a single exposure but if you smoke 100Mg+ per day every day you can almost guarantee that person will test positive(which I believe is over 50 Nanograms per mil for a positive test) for at very least two weeks, if not a month+.

I smoke 5-7+ times a day and conservatively consume over 300mg a day easily, I worked in the legal industry here in WA for 3+ years where the police have cheek swabs that will supposedly test for recent consumption, the rule everyone who worked in the industry told me is if you're pulled over for something and they say you smell like cannabis you tell them the last time you smoked was over 12 hours ago, they usually don't try and test then though I haven't been pulled over for 10+ Years so that's not really something I plan for, but it does happen. The major problem with that style of testing is how fast one person metabolizes the product versus another, some people can take a 10mg edible at night to fall asleep and they would only test positive for a day or so afterwards if it was a single exposure but if you smoke 100Mg+ per day every day you can almost guarantee that person will test positive(which I believe is over 50 Nanograms per mil for a positive test) for at very least two weeks, if not a month+.

This is why medications have PRESCRIBED DOSAGES by an ACTUAL DOCTOR who makes the PRESCRIPTIONS based on EVIDENCE BASED RESEARCH...thats how medications work. ANYTHING else is ANECDOTAL and therefor UNRELIABLE and NOT RELEVANT. Its been PROVEN that EYEWITNESS TESTIMONY is INCONSISTENT at best...a persons account of their own experience IS NOT RELIABLE...collectively these things are called COGNOTIVE BIASES...see also DUNNING

This is why medications have PRESCRIBED DOSAGES by an ACTUAL DOCTOR who makes the PRESCRIPTIONS based on EVIDENCE BASED RESEARCH...thats how medications work. ANYTHING else is ANECDOTAL and therefor UNRELIABLE and NOT RELEVANT. Its been PROVEN that EYEWITNESS TESTIMONY is INCONSISTENT at best...a persons account of their own experience IS NOT RELIABLE...collectively these things are called COGNOTIVE BIASES...see also DUNNING
Woah, calm down there.

No you can't this is a lie, stop perpetuating it because ignorance is the entire problem.

yes you can. just like cbd with thc can also pop you hot. witnessed it. Im not saying dont do it. I am saying just be courteous. Not everyone wants to be around it. I'm guessing you use it and are not a medical professional. If im wrong with my assumption of you ill eat my words. Why do potheads get so butthurt over people not wanting to be around it. Trust me the amount of pain im in from my job and years of sports it would be great to have something to take it away.

They can test me anytime... nothing to find. :|

Too bad they figured out how to test using hair samples. I was poised to supplement my income selling urine samples. :(

Would you have considered yourself a urine dealer or a urine pusher? Isn't three dog night the band that has that song called the pusher? Maybe it was about some guy like you, all anxious to sell your poison to any Tom, Dick or Harry.:popcorn:

yes you can. just like cbd with thc can also pop you hot. witnessed it. Im not saying dont do it. I am saying just be courteous. Not everyone wants to be around it. I'm guessing you use it and are not a medical professional. If im wrong with my assumption of you ill eat my words. Why do potheads get so butthurt over people not wanting to be around it. Trust me the amount of pain im in from my job and years of sports it would be great to have something to take it away.

Not butthurt, simply correcting misinformation. You will not get enough THC from second hand smoke, unless you are actively trying to, such as hot boxing.

If you don't want to be around it I have no problem with that and everyone I know who smokes would also oblige you.
Just don't tell lies.

So the WADA surprisingly showed up at a Swiss Tour event in Bern this weekend. Tested the lead card in open. After that the winner of the tournament (and current swiss champion) withdrew from the event.

I know that if i were tested, i would have to withdraw myself (As the current masters swiss champion). I know that quite a lot of the touring pros would also not pass a drug test. I know our current world champion would not have a chance to pass a drug test.

There are big discussions going on in the swiss scene at the moment. I am in the camp "we should not have joined the olympic comittee in the first place" (cause that's where WADA comes from). IMO we dont need the dirty corrupted money from the olympic comittee and personally i would never compete in an olympic event. It's just making money for a few ppl in the olympic comittee, just like FIFA is corrupted to the bone.

This is not where Steady Ed wanted us to go.

Are the tryhards ruining the fun in our sport for us?

We should decline and politely offer a stool sample instead. Its like "Here is your sample, I keep one ready at all times. I just have to get it out of my wallet."

Last edited:
Not butthurt, simply correcting misinformation. You will not get enough THC from second hand smoke, unless you are actively trying to, such as hot boxing.

If you don't want to be around it I have no problem with that and everyone I know who smokes would also oblige you.
Just don't tell lies.

Not telling lies. Dropping facts. We have to report it immediately if we are exposed to it on a call as paramedics we have had employees pop hot after it.

Yeah,

That might bring the Tour to a dead stop if they break out testing............

On another note, I can't believe there is a group called the the World Fling Disc Federation. Far too serious of a name if you ask me. Really, they broke out the word "Federation".

Well, as long as the shakers and movers in the sport have a woody for the Olympics we might have to put up with a few more rules. I am sure they are thinking it would grow the sport, produce more revenue and kick larger loads of cash to all parties. That being said, the pandemic did more for the sport than anything I can remember.

As for growth, well, I stopped going to a weekly club event this year when attendance was averaging 115 players with peak participation of up to 125 players. Last year we averaged 60 players. 8 players on a card is just too many unless you're drinking. 3.5 hour weekly club event, way too long for a Friday night.

As for more growth, be careful what you wish for.........

The PDGA rejoined WFDF (World Flying Disc Federation) last year.

article

One of the things WFDF does is chase disc sports being in the silly ass Olympics which means a relationship with the IOC which means putting up with WADA. Such testing is highly unlikely to occur in North America I am told.

Yeah,

That might bring the Tour to a dead stop if they break out testing............

On another note, I can't believe there is a group called the the World Fling Disc Federation. Far too serious of a name if you ask me. Really, they broke out the word "Federation".

Well, as long as the shakers and movers in the sport have a woody for the Olympics we might have to put up with a few more rules. I am sure they are thinking it would grow the sport, produce more revenue and kick larger loads of cash to all parties. That being said, the pandemic did more for the sport than anything I can remember.

As for growth, well, I stopped going to a weekly club event this year when attendance was averaging 115 players with peak participation of up to 125 players. Last year we averaged 60 players. 8 players on a card is just too many unless you're drinking. 3.5 hour weekly club event, way too long for a Friday night.

As for more growth, be careful what you wish for.........

8 player cards!?!?! :sick:

Just gonna reiterate the fact that some professional sports organizations stopped testing for cannabis. I'm 100% for testing against PEDs but I'm also 100% against the idea that THC is, indeed, a PED.

Weed is performance enhancing in that it allows for intensive training without pain. BJJ is dominated by THC use as a painkiller because of all the niggling injuries those guys get. Football players for the same reason. I think it is stupid to ban, but to say it doesn't help competitors is just wrong.

You ever do BJJ? For everyone in the sport I know (used to roll myself) it's much less about the pain relief and much more about the "zoning in" factor...tunnel vision. That or they just simply like getting high lol

Can't speak on football.

Nope. You cant have it both ways....its either NOT A MEDICINE which "treats" anxiety (and all the other BS mental health claims with little to no formal peer reviewed evidence base and is only a bunch of irrational advocacy) ...OR....ITS A PED.....cannot have it be both a "medication (the only medication on the planet with no dosing instructions or limit on refills)" and NOT a performance enhancer (anxiety/nerve reduction is a performance enhancement WITHOUT question). Cannabis is clearly and obviously a mind altering mildly hallucinogenic substance...and this comes from someone in recovery who used to misuse the hell out of it.
Either legalize it for recreational use....like alcohol...or dont....but calling it a "medication" for ANY mental health condition is BS. (there are some legitimate MEDICAL applications like seizure disorders, etc).
Don't quote me...there is not way to rationally dispute the above statement.

PS - next time you are anxious take a shot of vodka and then tell me you dont feel less anxious....MEDICAL ALCOHOL BRO!

Devil's advocate:

If I have cancer and smoke to help stimulate my appetite, AND play disc golf, I'm on PEDs? Bless your heart.

Quoted for anger, I got nothing lol

No, but seriously, if William Randolph Hearst wasn't so money hungry, and our outdated "Mexicans and marijuana bad" propaganda campaign wasn't so embedded in the US government, it WOULD already be federally legal. There WOULD be dosages assigned by actual doctors. That's what the cannabis community is trying to accomplish.

:sigh:

What if I told you, you could play discgolf not high....

Right. But what if I smoked 17 days ago and it's still in my system? Is that fair to me? I'm not high but there's still evidence I formerly smoked...

J
You ever do BJJ? For everyone in the sport I know (used to roll myself) it's much less about the pain relief and much more about the "zoning in" factor...tunnel vision. That or they just simply like getting high lol

Can't speak on football.

Yes, I roll. Not exactly sure what your point about the "tunnel vision" is. Are you saying that weed is a direct performance enhancer instead of a training enhancer like I am saying?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771410-the-worlds-best-athletes-smoke-weed-heres-proof-what-now