• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX teebird

kevinmzane

Eagle Member
So the other day I found a 6/10 DX Teebird and there was no name on it, so I put it in a pile of loaner discs. For some reason, I put it in my bag today and went out to play a round.... HOLY GUACAMOLE!! This disc does EXACTLY as I command. It is a whole different disc than my current champ teebirds at least one of which is just as beat if not more and right in the same weight range. I can put it out at least 15ft farther with the same effort, it holds a suuuper tight line and will flex/fade slightly/finish straight/ or hold an anny with different amounts of snap/power seemingly easier than my champs.
....now I feel like I have been missing out on something I just never really understood.
Does anyone cycle through DX drivers (particularly Teebirds) in diff stages of wear, or is it just not worth it b/c the break in period is too quick?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have always just assumed that DX drivers = crap after a few rounds with some tree hits.
Thanks

I'm a noob, but one of the first things I remember hearing when I starting getting into disc golf was "get dx teebirds". I have 2 at different stages of wear.

....now I feel like I have been missing out on something I just never really understood.
Does anyone cycle through DX drivers (particularly Teebirds) in diff stages of wear, or is it just not worth it b/c the break in period is too quick?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have always just assumed that DX drivers = crap after a few rounds with some tree hits.
Thanks
That's exactly how I do it and how I recommend doing it. Most fairway driver and slower discs work really well in low end plastics. They don't beat up all that fast, they stay in the "sweet spot" for quite a while and are easier to control and longer than their higher grade plastic counterparts.

One time I asked a big arm thrower at DGR (Mike Robinson, if it matters) why he throws Champ Teebirds over DX and he said it was because they flew too far. With his power it was difficult to "range" them because of their lack of fade. It wasn't because they got flippy or beat up too fast, it's because they flew to far. While that may be a problem for someone who can hit 500' pretty easily, most of us find that a disc flying farther with little fade to be a good thing.

I always keep at least one dx teebird and leo in my bag. I do also have more that I use when I practice, to beat em up. When beat to about 6 or 7/10, I set them aside. The courses around me have these laying all over the place, wich is good cause dx doesnt last long. For flight I like dx. Also, I think a dx teebird, dx valk, and r-pro boss are the only discs recorded to be thrown over 800'. So for distance, thats gotta say something.

One of the great things about dx teebirds is their tendency to lose lss before hss. This means they are resistant to turn-over while finishing fairly straight.

I hope this doesn't phase out my champs, I just bought more backups recently to further ensure that I have a lifetime supply....

Does DX fight wind as well as the premium plastics?

Like garu said it's good for slower drivers like teebirds and valks. Faster than that and the thinner, wider rim gets deformed too much from impact.

I hope this doesn't phase out my champs, I just bought more backups recently to further ensure that I have a lifetime supply....

Does DX fight wind as well as the premium plastics?

DX typically fights wind as well when new, but obviously not as much when beaten in. I carry at least 2 TB, sometimes more, but always an 11x Champ for stability and a beaten in DX for longer straighter throws and turnovers. A TB/Leopard pairing works nicely also.

Not to scare yah, but a full powered tree hit will probably kill a DX Teebird happened to me whole edge was so sloped and warped it was ridiculous. My advice is to save your money ones and use something else for the woods.

Never again will I buy a DX plastic driver. Hit one tree within 100' of the tee pad and the thing is done.

Not to scare yah, but a full powered tree hit will probably kill a DX Teebird...
images

please to be sending me all of your 'dead' DX TBs.

IMO many older Inova molds that were designed for DX perform best in DX. When I threw Tee Birds and Vikings I liked them best in DX.

I still like Leopards in Champ though.

I have an old DX TeeBird that is beat to crap but somehow still has it's HSS. I always throw it in the bag if it's going to be raining or wet. I've hit many a tree and rock with it and it has some permanent warps and many chuncks have been removed by rocks but whenever I throw it I always get the "what was that?" because it goes so straight and far. It also flies on an anny farther than any disc I've ever owned. I just carry a little sandpaper in my bag so when a rock takes out a chunk of plastic I just remove it with my pocket knife and sand until smooth.

I recently acquired a stack of old cyclones (I'm not sure what the plastic is but it's similar to DX) and I'm liking them even more than my DX TeeBirds. They seem a little more resistant to rock cuts.

I have had two DX teebirds. One ended up in the drink and the other is in my bag and flies pretty well.

I prefer tougher plastics, though. My champ and stars have held up awesomely.

Oh man, this disc was probably my most favorite driver i ever threw for about 2 weeks. It started off overstableish and beat in to being straight with no turn and very tiny fade. then without much warning it started turning over A LOT. If i didn't use it for about 2 rounds every day on most holes it wouldn't have beat in so quick. But wow, this disc has tons of glide. i think i might actually try cycline them this year.

I would consider getting dx fairway drivers, but I wouldn't throw them on any hole with considerable amount of trees or rocks or anything like that that can really beat them up bad. I would throw premium disc on holes like that.
And for the high speed stuff I don't think i would even consider any of them in the low end plastic unless you play wide open grassy course like most of the ones i play now

The thing with beat DX Teebirds is that if you turn them over just a bit too much they'll turn hard. They aren't very forgiving in this way and really punish unintentional OAT. They'll take a ton of clean power thrown from a hyzer flip, though.

My guess is that the people who are having trouble with durability are actually fighting something else but don't know it. This is why I don't normally recommend Teebirds to developing players. Discs like the Gazelle, Cyclone and Eagle have a lot more gradual turn characteristics and it makes diagnosing problems a lot easier and punishes you a lot less for them.

Once you really see the benefits of beat discs you'll probably find yourself reaching for low end plastic discs when there's a chance for damage to help beat them in a bit faster. Once you get a couple back ups of the beat versions then you're throwing each of your discs 1/2-1/4 as much and they all last a lot longer.

Uh nope. Usually I listen to the advice of the more experienced but this time you're all wrong.

My DX was so warped the wing was actually curling almost underneath the disc. I'd like to see any of you throw that thing 100' it was about as flight-worthy as a phone book.

Latest posts