• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

Quick test with new dye

So, I ordered one bottle of some Pink candle dye to test with. Kind of expensive sometimes to be ordering every color for testing at the same time, but they are supposed to be super concentrated for use with wax.

I quick tested it on one of my white rivers I use the back of for test marks. I actually put three tiny drops in a pool and then added a drop of acetone in the middle. You can tell where the acetone hit and pushed the actual colorant to the side. Either way this was a 15 second test and the color is super vivid in some areas. Not a very accurate test this way, but I had to know immediately.

A side note. This stuff is strong. Three fingertips on my right hand are stained pink almost instantly from the run off during washing it. Clearly this has the potential to be cut way down with detergent or other medium prior to the addition of solvent. I will be doing a test mix sometime this week.

Attachments

• IMG_20131223_174803_748.jpg
    IMG_20131223_174803_748.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 165
So, I ordered one bottle of some Pink candle dye to test with. Kind of expensive sometimes to be ordering every color for testing at the same time, but they are supposed to be super concentrated for use with wax.

I quick tested it on one of my white rivers I use the back of for test marks. I actually put three tiny drops in a pool and then added a drop of acetone in the middle. You can tell where the acetone hit and pushed the actual colorant to the side. Either way this was a 15 second test and the color is super vivid in some areas. Not a very accurate test this way, but I had to know immediately.

A side note. This stuff is strong. Three fingertips on my right hand are stained pink almost instantly from the run off during washing it. Clearly this has the potential to be cut way down with detergent or other medium prior to the addition of solvent. I will be doing a test mix sometime this week.

Really, this may need no solvent. I will test that as well as I have time this week. But, in my head, if it colors this quick with solvent, there should be an ability to dye without solvent. Maybe. Hopefully.

This pink is from theplace4candles.com it links to their ebay store. But I know there are many candle supply stores that have similar products. I chose this one simply because I was ordering something else on ebay already. I actually prefer not doing that, so my next bottle will probably come from lonestarcandlesupply.com

I plan on ordering a different color from multiple places to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Also, I know Hobby Lobby and other craft stores carry this stuff as well.

Nice :D Good to see all these options popping up! Curious to see how your tests go with this dye.

Now that I look at it... that looks very close in shade and color to some of the rings that Jeff Ash was doing. I remember seeing somewhere on the brainwave page that somebody had mentioned that he should try using candle wax dye. I will try to find it.

It is really funny looking back that Jeff was able to figure all of this out several years ago... and that we are just now starting to get there.... but still not able to replicate what he has done.

Last edited:
For instance.... here is one that he did 2 years ago... pretty sure that is using this method.

308747_220629884735166_860459425_n.jpg

Now that I look at it... that looks very close in shade and color to some of the rings that Jeff Ash was doing. I remember seeing somewhere on the brainwave page that somebody had mentioned that he should try using candle wax dye. I will try to find it.

It is really funny looking back that Jeff was able to figure all of this out several years ago... and that we are just now starting to get there.... but still not able to replicate what he has done.

Agreed, it is strange. I guess he kept an open mind when trying new dyes out. Rather than lifting the same rocks other people had already moved.

That Destroyer looks to me like a close match to the pink I just used for sure. I am definitely ordering a couple more colors to test. Hopefully I am not too busy playing this week to experiment.

Agreed, it is strange. I guess he kept an open mind when trying new dyes out. Rather than lifting the same rocks other people had already moved.

That Destroyer looks to me like a close match to the pink I just used for sure. I am definitely ordering a couple more colors to test. Hopefully I am not too busy playing this week to experiment.

Did the darker red scratch off?

... Looks like it might not need the acetone. Would probably need to cut it with at least 1/2 soap. Otherwise, that 1oz per $5 isn't going to get very far.

Sorry for the billion posts... there happens to only be 12 prochemical dyes. :confused:

Very interesting interview. Thanks for sharing it. Seems like a chill dude. Think maybe were getting somewhere with these extra dyes. Im curious now to look into these candle wax dyes. Thats insane you can dye yellow on top of a blue disc with whatever hes using. Has to be a crazy strong dye for sure. Well figure it out im sure. Just a little patience and experimentation. We got this guys! :thmbup:

Latest posts