• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

What I'm saying is that there doesn't exist a dye on the planet that could dye a disc lighter than it already is. From the factory, plastic's color is mixed in with the plastic - It isn't a dye on top of the plastic. To make it lighter, you'd have to have a substance that could penetrate *all the way through* the disc (top to bottom) that would selectively grab onto the dye molecules and leech them out to the other side - All without damaging the structure of the disc. It is, in short, impossible.

I agree. Sounds unreasonable. That may been what he did then. Going clear then blue and yellow. Unless he was able to get his yellow to pop on that clear blue plastic somehow. Not sure. All speculation. I do know the worm dyes can work wonders though and penetrate very deep. I may have to give it a test when I get back from the holidays. There is definitely more to their dyes (wondernuts and Jeff ash) than the typical idye or rit dye mixture. The results are very evident of that. I suggest we all keep experimenting and share our results. Only way to get anywhere is through experimentation.

Sounds good to me. This seems to be the correct technique. Just not quite the right dye mix yet. I made the mistake of buying cheap detergent earlier today... it is way to watered down. Baby shampoo is where it's at.

So I did some additional testing, but in my rush to get to work today I did not take a picture. I will post one later showing the two new tests on the following mixes.

Mix 1 (solvent)
1 tbsp detergent
40 drops candle dye (overkill really)
5 drops acetone

Mix 2 (no solvent)
1 tbsp detergent
8 drops candle dye

I let mix 1 sit for 2 hours and the color came out pretty even and quite vivid. There is some visible deviation in shade where the mix dried out quicker on the edge.

Mix 2 set overnight (8 hours) and resulted in an even, vivid color. Mild deviation as well, but I think some of that is because I tested on a sloped area of the disc.

In the end it appears candle dye can be used in a very watered down state and simply requires additional time if no solvent is used, just like with other dyes. The colors can be super vivid, but I do not know if they are what is used.

Has anyone tried Tulip Dyes?
Link: http://www.ilovetocreate.com/Tulip-Permanent-Fabric-Dye-11

My wife got a few for me for Christmas & was just curious if I should return them & look for the iDyes or something else. Any help is appreciated

I would swap them for idye poly if i was you. Ive heard people that have tested them have had pretty weak results. Their basically the "Michaels" kinda el cheapo brand. Not really a pro dye from what i hear.

So I did some additional testing, but in my rush to get to work today I did not take a picture. I will post one later showing the two new tests on the following mixes.

Mix 1 (solvent)
1 tbsp detergent
40 drops candle dye (overkill really)
5 drops acetone

Mix 2 (no solvent)
1 tbsp detergent
8 drops candle dye

I let mix 1 sit for 2 hours and the color came out pretty even and quite vivid. There is some visible deviation in shade where the mix dried out quicker on the edge.

Mix 2 set overnight (8 hours) and resulted in an even, vivid color. Mild deviation as well, but I think some of that is because I tested on a sloped area of the disc.

In the end it appears candle dye can be used in a very watered down state and simply requires additional time if no solvent is used, just like with other dyes. The colors can be super vivid, but I do not know if they are what is used.

Sounds good. I'd like see pics when you have a chance. Thanks for testing this and sharing. Curious to see also how they come out on a dye project. Maybe give them the nebula style test...

I would swap them for idye poly if i was you. Ive heard people that have tested them have had pretty weak results. Their basically the "Michaels" kinda el cheapo brand. Not really a pro dye from what i hear.

Sounds good. I'd like see pics when you have a chance. Thanks for testing this and sharing. Curious to see also how they come out on a dye project. Maybe give them the nebula style test...

There are a few threads relating to Tulip dyes, all with the same basic dull results. I would agree it is in your best interest to change it for Idye poly if you can.

I will be trying out the candle dye in a Nebula style test ASAP. Only color I have is pink, so I may be using it in conjunction with pinky color to get a full dye.

There are a few threads relating to Tulip dyes, all with the same basic dull results. I would agree it is in your best interest to change it for Idye poly if you can.

Sounds good boys, thanks for the help!

Picture from CD test

So, here is the picture of my additional tests.

The one on the left is solvent mix 1, the middle is the original test mixed on the disc and the one on the right is the no solvent mix 2.

Attachments

• IMG_20131226_184842_361.jpg
    IMG_20131226_184842_361.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 148
So, here is the picture of my additional tests.

The one on the left is solvent mix 1, the middle is the original test mixed on the disc and the one on the right is the no solvent mix 2.

Nice. Does it seem like it holds well on the plastic? Like doesn't smear when you wipe the spot with your finger? Looks like it could produce some very interesting results!

Nice. Does it seem like it holds well on the plastic? Like doesn't smear when you wipe the spot with your finger? Looks like it could produce some very interesting results!

When I rubbed on it after I got home nothing came off on my finger. That's around 8 hours after I washed off the dye. Seems like it will be there for awhile, but only time will truly tell.

I currently have a detergent bed down with a lot of the pink and the orange and one of the blues from Prosprese. I used the detergent as the base this time to see how it works out. It seemed the dye sunk below the surface, so as an improvised solution I used a tooth pick to swirl in small circles through the dye essentially mixing it into the bed. The result looked like it could be badass, but I am a bit skeptical that it will be a good one.

I wanted to try something thinner than the corn syrup, looks like baby shampoo may be my next purchase.

When I rubbed on it after I got home nothing came off on my finger. That's around 8 hours after I washed off the dye. Seems like it will be there for awhile, but only time will truly tell.

I currently have a detergent bed down with a lot of the pink and the orange and one of the blues from Prosprese. I used the detergent as the base this time to see how it works out. It seemed the dye sunk below the surface, so as an improvised solution I used a tooth pick to swirl in small circles through the dye essentially mixing it into the bed. The result looked like it could be badass, but I am a bit skeptical that it will be a good one.

I wanted to try something thinner than the corn syrup, looks like baby shampoo may be my next purchase.

Look forward to seeing your results. Keep in mind I used dish soap for my base and detergent only to mix my dyes. Dish soap is a bit thicker for a base than detergent. Baby shampoo sounds like a good base as well to use according to goose and his results were quite nice. Good luck. Im sure it'll come out nice.

Unfortunately, I think the pink resettled to the bottom of the bed. Very little pink took to the disc at all leaving a huge white space in the middle. I do like the look though and will probably dye it again for a second layer of color, maybe using punky.

I will try the second layer in baby shampoo if I can get to a store today at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_20131227_072944_076.jpg
    IMG_20131227_072944_076.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 166
Unfortunately, I think the pink resettled to the bottom of the bed. Very little pink took to the disc at all leaving a huge white space in the middle. I do like the look though and will probably dye it again for a second layer of color, maybe using punky.

I will try the second layer in baby shampoo if I can get to a store today at some point.

My few dyes i have done this way, I do keep finding that the thinner the base layer you use the better, that way your dye mix doesn't submerge itself below the base and also the disc is mostly making contact with the dye mix. Also the plate I used pretty much conformed to the disc exactly which I think helped a lot. Hope your second dip works out for you man!

Last edited:
The second dip made a world of difference. I really like the way it layered in.

I can tell by the edges I need a plate that fits the disc better. This one is clearly allowing an uneven build up around the edges. I'll keep the current plate for discs with flatter tops and get a more concave one for the domey ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20131228_081847_759.jpg
    IMG_20131228_081847_759.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20131228_081854_229.jpg
    IMG_20131228_081854_229.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 121
The second dip made a world of difference. I really like the way it layered in.

I can tell by the edges I need a plate that fits the disc better. This one is clearly allowing an uneven build up around the edges. I'll keep the current plate for discs with flatter tops and get a more concave one for the domey ones.

Nice job man. Yea the plate makes a huge difference I am sure. I just took a disc into the salvation army with me and tested the fit on a bunch of them. I got a good one for drivers, but I do need to find at least one more that is more accomodating for midranges and putters.

Light on Dark...

When he shows the blue disc with yellow rings he says 'even a clear disc like this...'. It started out clear, he dyed it blue and yellow.

At 5:52, I'm pretty sure he said "a blue disc". When he flips it over, you don't see through it, it's pretty much opaque.

I stopped by the Fisherman's Warehouse today, to pick up a few colors of Spike It worm dye to try with some spin dyes. I didn't count, but it seemed like they had about 12 colors. Most interestingly, one which was white! Perhaps this is how he is getting a lighter color than the original material. I too am skeptical of achieving that kind of result without adding a base material or paint.

Next time I go by FW, I will count how many colors they have, and may pick up the white to try out.

On the same topic, has anyone tried bleach to lighten the color of the plastic before dyeing?

BTW, I am very thankful for this thread, and hope to contribute to it soon. I have been experimenting with some So-Strong colorant that I use with plastic casting for another hobby of mine with OK results on some quick tests.

Peace,
-Jeff

At 5:52, I'm pretty sure he said "a blue disc". When he flips it over, you don't see through it, it's pretty much opaque.

I stopped by the Fisherman's Warehouse today, to pick up a few colors of Spike It worm dye to try with some spin dyes. I didn't count, but it seemed like they had about 12 colors. Most interestingly, one which was white! Perhaps this is how he is getting a lighter color than the original material. I too am skeptical of achieving that kind of result without adding a base material or paint.

Next time I go by FW, I will count how many colors they have, and may pick up the white to try out.

On the same topic, has anyone tried bleach to lighten the color of the plastic before dyeing?

BTW, I am very thankful for this thread, and hope to contribute to it soon. I have been experimenting with some So-Strong colorant that I use with plastic casting for another hobby of mine with OK results on some quick tests.

Peace,
-Jeff

Glad to have another person along for the ride :thmbup: We can learn a lot more in a much smaller amount of time (and spend a lot less individually) by sharing this info with each other and testing different solutions as a community.

I for one have not tried using bleach on discs. I would be a little weary of it. Not sure if it would damage the disc or not, plus I just don't like using bleach. One lightner I have found so far which seems to work so far from the limited testing I have done so far with it is Formula 49. This is meant for metallic inks and dyes but it seems to accomplish the same thing for me thus far. Keep in mind, I have only used it for lightening some of the rings on my discs when doing spin dyes. Here is the site though if you are interested.

http://www.welburngourdfarm.com/gourdmasterformula49.aspx

Just a heads up on the Spike it worm dye, before you spend too much on it, Johnnyphive had posted that he did not have very good luck with most of the colors and had said that most washed out fairly quickly after a warm water rinse. I however have had very good luck with the "Quick Coat" worm dye. I only know of it being available online. This is the place I found to have the best stock of it. Only tip on these I would suggest don't waste your time with the black worm dye. You can get much better results using Idye poly or another ordinary disperse dye.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-plastic-baits/380551.aspx

Let me know how the spike it brand works out for you. I'd like to see pics too when/if you have them. Best of luck!

Latest posts