• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

I got some of the spike it worm dye and it worked great on light green and a pink disc. Made the light green a very easy to see blue and the pink a neon blue that will also be easy to find. Tried on a yellow disc as the dye seemed to override the previous color well, the results were an unwanted dark green color. Seems to seep in to disc very fast and for lighter colored discs works great

Except yellow

Hmmm, I wonder why the difference in results. Yellow (chartreuse) gave me the best results, even dying over a peach colored disc and making it yellow where I spun it on.

The other colors I tried, pink, blue, purple and green, all seemed to dry to a "crust" and leave empty spaces in the rings. Perhaps I needed to be more liberal with the application of those colors. I will give them another go.

Hmmm, I wonder why the difference in results. Yellow (chartreuse) gave me the best results, even dying over a peach colored disc and making it yellow where I spun it on.

The other colors I tried, pink, blue, purple and green, all seemed to dry to a "crust" and leave empty spaces in the rings. Perhaps I needed to be more liberal with the application of those colors. I will give them another go.

The dye was blue and the disc was yellow. It made the ink look green which was not what I wanted. Blue dye on the pink disc made an electric blue color and the blue dye on the light green disc was a bit darker than baby blue. I'm gonna try some of the red dye next

Just a heads up on the Spike it worm dye, before you spend too much on it, Johnnyphive had posted that he did not have very good luck with most of the colors and had said that most washed out fairly quickly after a warm water rinse. I however have had very good luck with the "Quick Coat" worm dye. I only know of it being available online. This is the place I found to have the best stock of it. Only tip on these I would suggest don't waste your time with the black worm dye. You can get much better results using Idye poly or another ordinary disperse dye.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/soft-plastic-baits/380551.aspx

Let me know how the spike it brand works out for you. I'd like to see pics too when/if you have them. Best of luck!

So far I've had good results with the Spike It dye. I have noticed that certain colors take better than others. Have not tried all the colors yet. So far, I've tried the Fire red, chartreuse, blue, purple and black. Of those, the red and black seem to take to the plastic best. Purple results have been "streaky" but I kinda like that look sometimes. This is straight out of the bottle. Maybe better results can be had by adding detergent?

I have tried the Spike It Dye-A-Live, and that stuff just washes right off!

I've got a sample set of dyes coming from ebay purchase, and I'll be sure to post test results. At the moment, I'm out of plastic to test on. I've sent out a request to the groups I play with for their unwanted dye-able plastic. Hopefully, I'll have more to test on soon.

Here's a pic of a rose color Champion Mako 3 I just dyed with the Spike It red, blue, purple and black. I let the disc set overnight before rinsing, and after scrubbing with cold water first, then as hot as my hands could stand, it look just as good as it did before the rinse. You can see the streaks in the purple the most...

image_zps6e2d8a06.jpg

image_zps15b07a4c.jpg

Peace,
-Jeff

Nevermind, just saw that you can get it in a pen / marker. :D

You may also try something that spins at an even slow pace. I personally use a turntable set at 33 rpm. I use regular paintbrushes to apply the rings, using larger brushes for larger rings.

So far I've had good results with the Spike It dye. I have noticed that certain colors take better than others. Have not tried all the colors yet. So far, I've tried the Fire red, chartreuse, blue, purple and black. Of those, the red and black seem to take to the plastic best. Purple results have been "streaky" but I kinda like that look sometimes. This is straight out of the bottle. Maybe better results can be had by adding detergent?

I have tried the Spike It Dye-A-Live, and that stuff just washes right off!

I've got a sample set of dyes coming from ebay purchase, and I'll be sure to post test results. At the moment, I'm out of plastic to test on. I've sent out a request to the groups I play with for their unwanted dye-able plastic. Hopefully, I'll have more to test on soon.

Here's a pic of a rose color Champion Mako 3 I just dyed with the Spike It red, blue, purple and black. I let the disc set overnight before rinsing, and after scrubbing with cold water first, then as hot as my hands could stand, it look just as good as it did before the rinse. You can see the streaks in the purple the most...

Peace,
-Jeff

Nice job! looks great :thmbup: Glad to see both brands seem to do the job quite well. I may have to pickup the black spike it brand and give it a whirl. Took very well to the disc it seems, and for being champion plastic that is quite a feet! Especially getting blue to show up so blue on a red disc like that. Did you use paintbrushes for these lines? or another technique?

Nice job! looks great :thmbup: Glad to see both brands seem to do the job quite well. I may have to pickup the black spike it brand and give it a whirl. Took very well to the disc it seems, and for being champion plastic that is quite a feet! Especially getting blue to show up so blue on a red disc like that. Did you use paintbrushes for these lines? or another technique?

Thanks! Yes, I'm using paint brushes. Just a kinda cheap set from Wally World. I keep wanting to try some lettering quills and script brushes I have that are much better brushes, but I can't get myself to do it. I have some dyes with much thinner lines. BTW, I'm spinning on a box fan with a dimmer switch. I would like to try a turntable at some point though. Seems I would have much more control, and could also do some off center stuff.

Each of the colors on the Mako are about 3 coats. The tricky part is to work quick enough as to not "reactivate" the solvent on the next coat.

I have also tried the chartreuse/red Spike It "pen". Worked pretty good, but doesn't have the flexibility that a brush does.

dude, that disc looks great. I'm definitely going to be ordering some fish lure dye soon.

Have you tried using it for the Nebula or Brainwave techniques yet? I'd love to see the results with those types of tests.

So Strong and Spike It pen test...

Here are some pics from a test I did with So Strong colorant, and the Spike It pen. The disc is a well broken in Champion Beast that is kind of a faded yellow.

The So Strong colorant is something that I have had for about five years from casting plastic slot car bodies and accessories. I figured I may as well try it since it seemed to stain everything it touched while I was working with it! In this test, I mixed 4 drops of each color (red, yellow, blue and black) with about 1 tsp. of acetone. As you can see in the before rinse pics, it never really dries. These pics were taken after sitting overnight (about 8 hours). On the group of outer rings, I started with straight yellow, and added a touch of the blue for each ring as I worked my way to the edge of the disc, gradually going to a green.

On the group of So Strong bands in the middle that are about 3/16" each, I used straight color of each except my attempt to make orange by adding a touch of red to the yellow. This group of bands is yellow, blue, red orange and black from the center, out.

The Spike It pen (red and chartreuse) dries almost instantly, and changes very little, if at all from the time it is applied, to after final rinse.

Champion Beast before rinse:
78665a14-594b-4894-b1b4-2cbc66d44a6a_zpsaeeebc65.jpg

Close up before rinse:
image_zps2d0218a0.jpg

After rinse:
champBeastDyeLabeled_zpsefa87587.jpg

Close up after rinse:
image_zps7aa8a11d.jpg

I probably won't be using the So Strong on any future dyes. They did not work as I had hoped they might, but I still like the way the disc I tested on turned out.

Peace,
-Jeff

dude, that disc looks great. I'm definitely going to be ordering some fish lure dye soon.

Have you tried using it for the Nebula or Brainwave techniques yet? I'd love to see the results with those types of tests.

Thanks! I have not tried it with those methods. The spike It Dyes are really thin and watery. I only have experience with I-dye / Rit and shaving cream.

I saw that, too, Goose. I'm going to order 4 colors tomorrow, and try some dyes.

I found a $5 box fan @ goodwill to compliment my turntable, as well!

This is my dye from the spike it blue dye. I blotted it w a paintbrush to make it look marbelized. It was on a light green disc

Attachments

• 2013-12-27 14.47.57.jpg
    2013-12-27 14.47.57.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 166
So I am no disc dyer, but I am an avid angler. Aren't all of the spike it dye's scented nowadays? Are all of you throwing garlic or crawfish smelling discs haha?

More on Spike It Worm Dye...

So after working some more with the Spike It worm dyes, I have noticed some things about them that I don't really care for.

*A few of the colors (especially hot pink) can build up after a few coats to where you can actually feel them. This pic shows some of the colors I have tested. From center out, chartreuse, lime green, hot pink, red, purple, blue and a mix of hot pink/chartreuse to make orange. The hot pink ring looks like two separate rings. One thin & dark and one the same as the rest. The thin one is the one you can feel the most.

image_zpsd7464709.jpg

*Another attribute I don't care for is that the black does not seem to fully "cure", and smears even after thorough rinsing. It seems to be worse on Star plastic. I used the worm dyes on the outer rings of this California Seals dye, and the black smeared badly after sitting all day before rinse. I was able to clean it up with acetone but traces are still visible in the other rings.

image_zpsa5c35470.jpg

This was also my first attempt using dishwashing gel and Pylam disperse dyes mixed with laundry detergent. I really like Pylam's green and florescent yellow! The blue in the logo and "nebula" is I-dye. The green and yellow are Pylam, though I dipped the yellow in the logo for a short time in I-dye yellow to make it less fluorescent.

Still learning!

Peace,
-Jeff