• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

I have the same problem with most of the spike it colors, except chartreuse. I have heard quick coat is better, but have not tried them yet. I did get some of the markers fromSkippyFish and have the same results. Chartreuse is great, the others not so much.

Hurricane/ Jeff --
Can you post a pic of the open wheeler dye in your avatar?

I have the same problem with most of the spike it colors, except chartreuse. I have heard quick coat is better, but have not tried them yet. I did get some of the markers fromSkippyFish and have the same results. Chartreuse is great, the others not so much.

Yea im not 100% sold on all the worm dyes. My experiences have been mixed. I find the lime green, chartreuse, and hot pink are really the only ones I find worth using. Anything darker I find it better to make your owm dye mix.

Pylam Results...

Posted this in the Dye a Day, but thought I'd give some more dye details here.

image_zpseafa4f05.jpg

The disc is a super pearly Gold line Lat 64 Bolt. I dip dyed the Jim Hall Chaparral 2E with I-dye black. The "nebula" (from top to bottom) is Pylam turquoise blue, violet, bright red, orange (a mixture of fluorescent yellow & bright red) and fluorescent yellow. The grey on the bottom is Rit black. All the dyes were mixed with clear laundry detergent and a small amount of water and placed on top of a bed of dishwashing gel. The disc sat in the dye for 18 hours.

I've been using a clear Pyrex dish which is cool because I can lift it up and see what the dye is doing.

Peace,
-Jeff

The disc is a super pearly Gold line Lat 64 Bolt. I dip dyed the Jim Hall Chaparral 2E with I-dye black. The "nebula" (from top to bottom) is Pylam turquoise blue, violet, bright red, orange (a mixture of fluorescent yellow & bright red) and fluorescent yellow. The grey on the bottom is Rit black. All the dyes were mixed with clear laundry detergent and a small amount of water and placed on top of a bed of dishwashing gel. The disc sat in the dye for 18 hours.

I've been using a clear Pyrex dish which is cool because I can lift it up and see what the dye is doing.

Peace,
-Jeff

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

I am new to dyeing and have only tried the worm dyes. These were all done with the quick coat worm dye. Let the one with the star on it sit about 5-6 hours. The rest were an hour or 2. Kind of wish I would have let them sit longer but I don't know if results would be any different. Still learning. I finally got a cheap plate instead of disposable pie pan. Next dyes should be cleaner

Attachments

• 2014-01-23 16.13.45.jpg
    2014-01-23 16.13.45.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 190
Update

I have a question about the worm dye stuff. I have an 11x Firebird that spent a long time in a muddy lake. I looks like it was once yellow/green~ish but has since lost all but a hint of yellow/green while turning mostly clear and gained a bit of brownish tint.

Will a good dose of the worm dye make the color not suck? This thing just disappears on dirt/pine straw :( Which color would be the best bet if there is hope?

Finally pulled the trigger and bought some orange Spike-it worm dye. It worked marvelously! Finally get to put the FB in my bag.

Before/After pics: http://imgur.com/a/NIt4i

I used a cotton ball and just gave it a light coating in circular motions. After it sat for about an hour I used a cotton ball and alcohol to clean off the excess then did another light coat. Then I let it sit for a day and hit it with some acetone on a cotton ball to get all the excess off.

Fisty, your before picture is the exact color of my (before) QJLS. I was sure I would lose it in dry grass is why I dyed mine (also the exact color of your after pic LOL).

My method was to pour the worm dye in a freezer bag with the disc, seal it and just swirl it around for a few minutes. The Acetone dried instantly as I removed the disc. I just left the dye in the bag for the next use (if ever).

so is the general consensus that the worm dye is not a viable option for most colors?

I'm still looking for a good green and some solid "hot" or florescent colors... is pinky worth a damn or no?

Eh? I've gotten good colors from my worm dye. Chartreuse is crazy, it fluoresces and I even dyed it on a darker disc and you could just barely see it. I don't think it is any good for vinyl dyes tho. :\

so is the general consensus that the worm dye is not a viable option for most colors?

I'm still looking for a good green and some solid "hot" or florescent colors... is pinky worth a damn or no?

You need to follow your thread you started more closely ;) We've got all kinds of good options now for dyes. Worm dyes are definitely not the only colors that have hot colors. There is Pylam and Prochemicals too. You can achieve some very bright colors using those dyes. Pylam will offer you free 1 oz samples if you contact them. I would recommend their bright green, fluorescent yellow, violet, and fuschia just to name a few. They all work great. Prochemicals has great dyes as well and some interesting additives you should check out that help make the colors pop. It's all in the thread though if you want to read up on it. I posted my mixes a few pages back a while ago.

Heres one i did recently with worm dye and some of the pylam dyes (I may have used Idye as well for the black and crimson red). I pretty much only use worm dye on the rings. Thats just my preference though.

to be perfectly honest w you, i read through what i missed... but it was late for me. ill be looking over the thread again this weekend. i appreciate it. those colors are exactly what I'm looking to get. that disc is awesome!

to be perfectly honest w you, i read through what i missed... but it was late for me. ill be looking over the thread again this weekend. i appreciate it. those colors are exactly what I'm looking to get. that disc is awesome!

Thanks man. I am really happy with that one. I found the page where I posted some of my mix ratio's with the prochemicals additives and so forth, but I have since revised them to be mixed by the 1 pint mason jar. I have been adding these additives to all my dyes since I discovered them. So just so you know, all my pylam dyes were mixed with the prochemicals solutions as well. It may have something to do with the colors, it may not. I have just been using them regardless. Seems to work quite well though so far. Myself and a few others have purchased the prochemicals disperse dye sampler pack. It includes the additives listed below (minus vinegar).

I have been mixing the following (in this order):

1. apprx. 1 pint of water warmed up but not boiling
2. 1/2 tspn dye carrier nsc
3. 4-6 drops synthrapol
4. 1/2 tspn white vinegar
5. 3 tspn of dye powder

I then simmer and stir the dye for a little while on a low temperature. Just enough to help it dissolve all the way. Then I just put the dye back into my mason jars to use as needed.

Please post any results. Its good to see ya back in the thread. I'd wondered where ya went. I know we both had started a similar thread the same week about trying to find different dyes. Lol.

Has anybody had luck with worm dye and vinyl?

I have only tested using vinyl with worm dye to mask for adding rings. It didn't bleed though. However may wanna use caution for a dye bath though. Its got quite a bit of acetone in it. Maybe try on an old disc first.

Has anyone ever tired soaking a feather in dye , laying it in a bed of detergent/shampoo etc and trying or to set the disc in? I think it would create some cool effects. Gotta think brain wave like. I might try It today if I can find a few feathers. Also has anyone tried sponge painting with worm dye?

Latest posts