• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing is ruining my discs

You're junks way to hot man. That's the ONLY REASON that stuff would peel off. Are you wiping your discs off super supre clean before puting vinyl on them??? Oil from fingers might be adding to the problem. I've had minor bleedswith the same stuff and from both rolls when starting. Haven't had one in a long time. That stuff works great. You'll get the hang of it.

Get the temp of that stuff down yo!!!

I do wash my disc after cleaning off the factory stamp with warm water and soap, and make sure its dry dry dry!! I decided to give it another shot tonight, and low and behold......success!!! There are a couple teeny tiny bleeds near the discraft stamp, but you can barely see them. Overall I'm very satisfied with the results. My girlfriend, not so much. She things I just created a monster within myself, only time will tell. Thank you to all of you for the very helpful information you've provided, its much appreciated!!

Totally didn't see that post lol. Awsome first yo. That stuff may be a little trickier to use than Oracle (I don't know, I haven't used it -- seems this way though), but -- as we can see -- getting the hang of it, is all it takes.

Those hair-line bleeds are from the texture of the adhesive on the back of that vinyl. I don't think it's something you can completely get rid of without a ton of smoothing down, really really firm (vinyl tear/ripple risk), all the cut edges of the vinyl.

I look at it this way -- as some of my dyes with the stuff have shown -- those little hairline bleeds are the first thing to fade away after a few rounds.

Again, good job on that dye. I'll see your SF dye and raise you an a Ranger's dye!!! (Woopin' that ass next year!!! With or without Cliff Lee -- props to 'im though, ALL THE BEST CLIFF!!!)
attachment.php

I'll end with.........

There are a lot of guys one here that are great a dying discs and would be more than happy to assist you with any questions you have (as I have found), granted you're doing your own research as well -- watching the "Dye a Day" thread, reading through all the dye threads and tutorials, etc.

Keep up the good work.

I read somewhere that dyed discs fly better......They do, trust me, they do.

yawpstang64

Looks great! Glad you figured it out!
For future problem solving, what did you do differently to get it to work?

Well what I didn't do was mix the rit with acetone. I used hot tap water and liquid black rit. I dipped the disc and let it set for about 20 minutes or so, checking every 5 minutes. I am very pleased with this one. The 4 hairline bleeds I have actually are running down the edges of the RAFT letters from the discraft factory stamp. You can barely see it. I also made sure to take my time cutting the logo out, and taking my time smoothing out all the edges. I'm slowly learning.......more patience = better results!! And I would have to agree about dyed discs flying better. Today I played a couple new courses in Spring TX. On the first hole, I launched my newly dyed disc, it skipped up and through the chains.......just missed my first ace, again!! So it goes!! Again, thank you everyone for your helpful insight and for sharing your knowledge with me, I greatly appreciat it!! That is a SICK Rangers disc TXDiscGolfBoy. I think for now I'll stick with single colors before I ruin more discs trying mulit colors. Haha.

Last edited:
I actually used some of the free 3M stuff I got, but others on here have said they use the walmart contact paper with no problems at all. I think my main problem was mixing my dye with acetone and it being way too hot which made my vinyl peel.

I have always mixed my rit with water and that's it. I'm too cheap to spend the money on acetone for mixing lol. I haven't had any problems just using water.

I actually used some of the free 3M stuff I got, but others on here have said they use the walmart contact paper with no problems at all. I think my main problem was mixing my dye with acetone and it being way too hot which made my vinyl peel.

you didn't follow my tutorial! liar!

i never say use Rit and acetone...

Good thing nobody lit a match anywhere near that kitchen (and must not be a gas stove either) Acetone already evaporates pretty quickly at room temp; I can only imagine when heated how explosive that could've been. Heating such a flammable and noxious chemical is not a very wise decision, IMHO.

You got me peabody, although I did read it tons of times, I didn't follow it exactly. Everyone's got their own ways of doing it, and some of the videos and posts I saw people were having great results with the rit/acetone mix, no so much for me. Mine were total disasters. I re-read you tutorial the other day when I tried it again and had great results. Thanks again AP for your tutorial and for sharing your knowledge with an amateur dyer like myself. Its helped out a lot, and I'm looking forward to dying more discs soon.

Ive used just black electrical tape on a CLEAN disc. It works great for straight lines and slight curves, Burnish it down really well where the tape intersects.

Latest posts