• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing vs. Silkscreen Printing

bgiggey

Hey everyone. I currently invested in a silk screen machine to produce merchandise for some bands and festivals that I work for. Within the band, we are avid disc golfers and would like to start selling merch with our logo on them. I'm curious as to how the dyeing process works...could someone explain it to me?

Also, do you think silk screening the logo right on the disc would have the safe effect? Would it flake off? We aren't going to be stamping discs, but would like to create our own and curious as to get some help/opinions. Thanks!

Silk screening with traditional inks on a disc would add "detectable thickness" which would cause it to be illegal for tournament play.

Silk screening with traditional inks on a disc would add "detectable thickness" which would cause it to be illegal for tournament play.

Played a trny last weekend, called a guy on his spray painted disc. He said "I wondered if anyone would notice". The other guy on our card told him, "don't worry about it, throw it." The "other guy" is on the board of the group that put on the trny.

hmm, interesting. thanks for the heads up on that. we're not so worried about creating discs for tournament play, but do realize that some may be used for that. right now we are focusing on promoting the sport and creating a new item on our merchandise table.

even if its a very light print, its still "detectable thickness"? could someone do a quick run through of exactly how the dying method works? i'm interested in that.

If you can scratch thru it, it is a detectable thickness.
Use the search feature, lots of info on dyeing.

hmm, interesting. thanks for the heads up on that. we're not so worried about creating discs for tournament play, but do realize that some may be used for that. right now we are focusing on promoting the sport and creating a new item on our merchandise table.

even if its a very light print, its still "detectable thickness"? could someone do a quick run through of exactly how the dying method works? i'm interested in that.
The quick rundown is that you create a stencil out of adhesive backed material. I use sign vinyl. You transfer the stencil to the disc. Then you dye the disc. Rit clothing dye is most commonly used.

Depending on the dye used, you may be able to use the silkscreen machine.
I'd at least give it a shot, maybe just one mask with one ink as a trial.
You could probably play with the water content in a RIT dye mixture to make the viscosity compatible with the machine.
Once you've dyed it, you might have to wash off excess dye.
I have very little experience with a silkscreen machine, but it seems like it would work, given the right amount of experiments and patience.

Depending on the dye used, you may be able to use the silkscreen machine.
I'd at least give it a shot, maybe just one mask with one ink as a trial.
You could probably play with the water content in a RIT dye mixture to make the viscosity compatible with the machine.
Once you've dyed it, you might have to wash off excess dye.
I have very little experience with a silkscreen machine, but it seems like it would work, given the right amount of experiments and patience.
It's a possibility. In order to achieve rich color the dye should be very warm and have contact with the disc for 10-15 minutes. Maybe you can do a cold dye and leave it overnight. I know somebody has tried something like this before.

I've had some success with silkscreen by pushing Elmers glue instead of ink. Here is the result of that experiment

Attachments

• dye job 044.jpg
    dye job 044.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 49
You should be able to mix up Rit dye, acetone, dish soap to the right consistence for silkscreen. Then dye the disc cold overnight .Not sure if it would have a ill effect on the screen please post your results. Good luck!