• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Felon

As a noodle armed old guy who plays a mile above sea level I find the Felon suits me best.

I have one that I have beat into submission that I find myself leaning on more and more lately. It will flip up and turn a little into a heavy headwind but still doesn't turn over too much and still has that dependable fade at the end.

Not a hater, but some feedback I would add here. New guy, can throw about 300ft or so. I was getting along pretty well with my two firebirds (Star 168 and Champ 171) but thought I would try a Felon after reading a ton of feedback. I bought a 171 Fusion X and played maybe 5 rounds with it, including doing some field work.

Of course every thread for each disc is filled with dudes that absolutely love them, so I take that with a grain of salt. I am here to say that those two firebirds work for me personally way better than this felon. The thing is a tank. It hooks like a mofo and is definitely more overstable than the champ firebird but with the least amount of distance than all three as well. I just couldn't get it to do what I needed it to and pulled it. Many folks on here claiming its a better firebird....not for me. Maybe I should have tried a lucid version, but after spending $24 on this thing, I wasnt in for trying again.

I've realized quickly in my 6 months in this sport that discs fly different for different people, and some people just love what they love. No hate here, but this disc wasnt for me. Firebirds won out.

You might have some watered down Firebirds. (I've noticed most of them run in the past couple of years just aren't what they used to be).

I have a couple of Firebirds that would make a lucid-x felon look like a beginners disc.

I bought a 171 Fusion X and played maybe 5 rounds with it, including doing some field work.

Fuzion X is the most stable version of the Felon that I've thrown, second (or equal to) only the Lucid X, and the most comparable to a 'true' firebird. For reference the pink disc on the left is a new (only thrown a few rounds) Fuzion X felon, and the disc on the right is a never thrown BioFuzion, which I find plenty beefy when they're fresh. The PLH on the X is much higher.

You can't go wrong with a firebird though. Nothing wrong with that disc. I threw em for ever and they're great.

Attachments

• 20220304_181851.jpg
    20220304_181851.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 30
A lot of people like having a variety of stabilities in one mold. Both the Firebird and Felon are great for that, because you can buy both a true beef version and a workable version off the shelf depending on plastic type. For me and my modest arm speed, the Felon is better because the "workable" version gets used more than the "beefy" version. So I'd rather have the option to buy a cheap Fuzion/expensive Lucid-X Felon combo rather than a cheap Champion/expensive Sexton Firebird combo. It costs me less money overall and makes my most used Felon easier to replace. I also prefer the hand feel of the Felon, but that's subjective and I'm sure I could get used to the Firebird rim if I had to.

I'll agree that the Felon is definitely a better option than the Sexton Firebird, even if only for financial reasons.

The only other thing that sometimes irritates me with Felons is that the plastic can be gummy. The disc will warp and become concave. I'm just not a fan of that. Firebirds are usually stiffer. I also don't like the "board flat" overstable drivers. I want a little dome. Felons are usually pretty damn flat.

Right now I bag a Firebird, a Flick, and a Nuke OS. Those 3 discs cover every overstable need I have. The Nuke OS flies perfectly like a Firebird, but can be pushed out for a little more distance.

You might have some watered down Firebirds. (I've noticed most of them run in the past couple of years just aren't what they used to be).

I have a couple of Firebirds that would make a lucid-x felon look like a beginners disc.

Yeah. I haven't thrown a ton of Felons, but I've never seen a Felon that was as overstable as a normal (non Sexton) champ Firebird.

Distance isn't a huge consideration for me when throwing speed 9 overstable drivers. However, I want the disc to at least fly flat for a bit. I don't want something like the Tilt (most overstable thing I've ever seen).

I've thrown 2 Raptors, and liked them better than Felons. The Raptor is a really consistent disc, and the plastic on them is stiff.

Yeah. I haven't thrown a ton of Felons, but I've never seen a Felon that was as overstable as a normal (non Sexton) champ Firebird.

Distance isn't a huge consideration for me when throwing speed 9 overstable drivers. However, I want the disc to at least fly flat for a bit. I don't want something like the Tilt (most overstable thing I've ever seen).

I've thrown 2 Raptors, and liked them better than Felons. The Raptor is a really consistent disc, and the plastic on them is stiff.
The Lucid-X moonshine Felons are money if you ever get to try one. I've been in between disappointed and
Meh with every Felon I've tried except that one.

As a noodle armed old guy who plays a mile above sea level I find the Felon suits me best.

I have one that I have beat into submission that I find myself leaning on more and more lately. It will flip up and turn a little into a heavy headwind but still doesn't turn over too much and still has that dependable fade at the end.

I also have a used and abused Felon that is about the only thing I trust into a headwind anymore. In fact it seems to fly further the windier it is.