• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Vandal

aphilso1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Anyone had a chance to throw one of these yet? It's the 2019 Trilogy Challenge driver. The video footage of the Vandal has been pretty intriguing. Basically flies like a beat-in Escape right out of the box. So once the Vandal beats in it likely gets into Hatchet level understability.

Also, didn't Legacy release a disc called the Vandal last year? How are there two different molds with the same name?

DD was able to beat Legacy to the punch in terms of the name and approval date.

I've thrown one a handful of times, and I'll agree w/ the beat-in escape reference. With a little seasoning, I think it'll fly like a longer, slightly more stable Maverick....but that's for my arm speed, which Tops out at around 350' most days.

Rim feels good in the hand, not super large, and its about as deep as an escape from what I can recall....maybe a touch deeper?

Anyone had a chance to throw one of these yet? It's the 2019 Trilogy Challenge driver. The video footage of the Vandal has been pretty intriguing. Basically flies like a beat-in Escape right out of the box. So once the Vandal beats in it likely gets into Hatchet level understability.

Also, didn't Legacy release a disc called the Vandal last year? How are there two different molds with the same name?

Sounds kind of nice, would not mind a beat in Escape out of the box, just like they gave us a beefy Escape in the Getaway. Funny you mention the Hatchet; I use a lucid Hatchet for my beat in escape slot.

Sounds kind of nice, would not mind a beat in Escape out of the box, just like they gave us a beefy Escape in the Getaway. Funny you mention the Hatchet; I use a lucid Hatchet for my beat in escape slot.

Yeah, I also pair Getaways/Escapes/Hatchets. My oldest Getaway is thrashed enough that I no longer need to bag both the beat Getaway and a fresh Escape. It's kind of one or the other. Same thing with my oldest Escape on the other end of the spectrum, as it's pretty close to a fresh Hatchet. While I love all three molds, I do wonder if I could eventually use the Vandal to replace both Escapes and Hatchets. Just roll out one Felon, a fresh and beat Getaway, and a fresh and beat Vandal. Might be worth a try if it lets me simplify my molds just a bit.

The Legacy disc released last year is the Valor, not the Vandal. DD is the only Vandal on the PDGA approved list.

I think the intent is for the Vandal to be that slightly broken-in Escape you describe (the only difference in flight numbers is a half point more turn for the Vandal). In the few throws I've made with it, it wasn't that distinguishable from an Escape. I wasn't throwing it head to head or anything, so I was working on memory of the Escape, but the lines were very similar.

The Legacy disc released last year is the Valor, not the Vandal. DD is the only Vandal on the PDGA approved list.

I think the intent is for the Vandal to be that slightly broken-in Escape you describe (the only difference in flight numbers is a half point more turn for the Vandal). In the few throws I've made with it, it wasn't that distinguishable from an Escape. I wasn't throwing it head to head or anything, so I was working on memory of the Escape, but the lines were very similar.

It would be a tough sell for me to invest in another mold with the intention of replacing them in the bag anyway with a beat bio escape. I'm all for another, flippier option from trilogy with something more like 9.5/6/-3/2, but with a true 1.9cm rim like the Escape

It would be a tough sell for me to invest in another mold with the intention of replacing them in the bag anyway with a beat bio escape. I'm all for another, flippier option from trilogy with something more like 9.5/6/-3/2, but with a true 1.9cm rim like the Escape

Have you thrown a Falchion?

I'm all for another, flippier option from trilogy with something more like 9.5/6/-3/2, but with a true 1.9cm rim like the Escape

The Escape is a 2.0cm rim. Per the PDGA approved disc list, the discs referenced in this thread are as follows:

Vandal 1.9

Getaway 2.0
Escape 2.0
Hatchet 1.9
Falchion 1.9
Maverick 1.7

For me personally, 1.9-2.0cm is my sweet spot. Those are the best feeling discs to me.

Personally, I'd love to carry just two workhorse fairway molds. But as odd as this may sound, the key to whether I give the Vandal a try isn't how it compares to the Maverick, Escape, Hatchet, etc. It's whether or not I can get used to throwing beat Getaways in lieu of fresh Escapes. If I can, then that means I'll only be bagging one beat Escape and zero freshies. And if the Vandal is basically a beat Escape out of the box, with the potential to beat in to Hatchet territory over time, then it's possible that a year or so down the road I'll just be bagging Getaways and Vandals.

And I know this question wasn't aimed at me, but I also have never thrown Falchions. Frankly they're not an easy mold to find around here, and they seem rather limited in terms of plastic and weight choices. So even if the Vandal and Falchion are identical in flight, the Vandal is more appealing simply because of the potential that it will be a popular mold with ample choices.

Oh, and another comment about Bio Escapes specifically. I only owned one, but it beat in weird. It lost LSS before HSS. Every other Escape that I've owned lost its HSS first. Maybe my Bio Escape was a freak or something. It was a frozen rope thrower until I griplocked it into a marsh.

Dynamic and Legacy both wanted the Outlaw disc name, and both produced discs marked Outlaw, but Legacy got theirs approved first, so Dynamic had to change theirs to the Enforcer.

Legacy returned the favor by allowing them to have the Vandal name - the Legacy disc is now the Valor.

It was a courtesy move by Legacy.

I just signed up for a Trilogy Challenge so I'm curious. Can anyone compare the Vandal to an Innova disc? I'm more familiar with Innova than DD.

That would be fantastic. I had a DX Leo3 that I loved until it got too beat up. Something similar in a better plastic would be great.

In that case, you should try a Champion Leo3. I love them. The Hannah Leatherman Star and Glow Champ Leo3s are even more awesome, but I don't know if they've sold out or not.

Has anyone played a Trillogy challenge yet? I'm doing one next week with a friend in his first event(sort of his training wheels) and curious what it throws like.

Really all the discs if anyone has a rundown.

I actually still have some of the original first run Champ Leo3's if anyone is interested. 175g.

Bought them when they came out thinking they were my next main mid disc, but they did not fly like I wanted... Found out I prefer TL3's

open to trades.

Threw on of these a lot at the Trilogy Challenge last weekend and it's a pretty good disc. I'd say it's a lot like if they made a slightly more stable Escape, plenty of distance potential, but a little less turn. Sort of like a Stag with a blunter edge and lower dome. Touch of turn a bit of fade and solid if not otherworldly glide.

Was a touch windy and it did turn a bit into the wind but you could hyzer it and make it work for you. I was throwing it up to 380 on a lot of lines BH and hit 400 once on a hyzerflip FH.

Very nice disc with a good fee overall, not going to kick the Stags out of my bag, but if they ever went OOP I'd consider this as a replacement.

Latest posts