• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle Enthusiasm

So I got my Barsby eagles in from the factory store and got to test them today in 15 MPH winds here in Missouri. I put them against the Eagles I normally throw (new star, used star and heavily beat-in star), my Thunderbird lineup (Star, Champion and Pro) and a flat VIP Ahti which I currently throw in place of my favorite Firebird which met a pond. I throw primarily forehand and am comfortable ranging eagles and the Ahti from around 300-330 and Thunderbirds from around 330-370.

These things are overstable with no turn but nice glide. Similar overall stability to the star Thunderbird (a little straighter and slower). Not as overstable as the Ahti in either HSS or LSS. More glide too. The most overstable eagle I threw today for sure but with more glide than my new stock eagle which I'd give a 3.5-4 in the glide department. Plastic is a bit slick but I expect will become more grippy with use. I'd say middle ground in terms of firmness. Not as flexy as the new star blend my AviarX3 is in for instance but not as rock stiff as my one-year old star thunderbird. Closer to my mini stamp star Thunderbird which is my one of my favorite star plastic discs ever.

I really like these Barsby eagles but they do have a unique flight. I'd compare them to the HSS of a new champion Thunderbird with really nice glide and the LSS of a new star thunderbird. I'd give the flight numbers of 7,4.5, 0, 3.5. The parting line is definitely higher than all my star eagles. The closest disc comparison I can think of is a slower Sexton Firebird. Not as overstable as my Ahti or any firebird I've thrown (save the Sexton Firebird). I'm going to test it as a way to kick the Ahti out of the bag. I've never trusted it as much as a good, flat Firebird and I might try to use the Barsby eagle and Metal Flake Slab to replace that utility slot.

Let me know if you guys have anymore questions.

So I got my Barsby eagles in from the factory store and got to test them today in 15 MPH winds here in Missouri. I put them against the Eagles I normally throw (new star, used star and heavily beat-in star), my Thunderbird lineup (Star, Champion and Pro) and a flat VIP Ahti which I currently throw in place of my favorite Firebird which met a pond. I throw primarily forehand and am comfortable ranging eagles and the Ahti from around 300-330 and Thunderbirds from around 330-370.

These things are overstable with no turn but nice glide. Similar overall stability to the star Thunderbird (a little straighter and slower). Not as overstable as the Ahti in either HSS or LSS. More glide too. The most overstable eagle I threw today for sure but with more glide than my new stock eagle which I'd give a 3.5-4 in the glide department. Plastic is a bit slick but I expect will become more grippy with use. I'd say middle ground in terms of firmness. Not as flexy as the new star blend my AviarX3 is in for instance but not as rock stiff as my one-year old star thunderbird. Closer to my mini stamp star Thunderbird which is my one of my favorite star plastic discs ever.

I really like these Barsby eagles but they do have a unique flight. I'd compare them to the HSS of a new champion Thunderbird with really nice glide and the LSS of a new star thunderbird. I'd give the flight numbers of 7,4.5, 0, 3.5. The parting line is definitely higher than all my star eagles. The closest disc comparison I can think of is a slower Se

xton Firebird. Not as overstable as my Ahti or any firebird I've thrown (save the Sexton Firebird). I'm going to test it as a way to kick the Ahti out of the bag. I've never trusted it as much as a good, flat Firebird and I might try to use the Barsby eagle and Metal Flake Slab to replace that utility slot.

Let me know if you guys have anymore questions.

First off, you rock, great review and welcome to the DGCR:clap: This is the kind of Enthusiasm that's been missing from this site since the MP crashed;) Seriously, I appreciate a well written review where I can get a feel for your game and how it might translate to my own.

On an eagle note, Calvin Heimburg is my new favorite player, got to play a couple rounds with him with controlled 400' eagles on violent hyzers:D

Last edited:
First off, you rock, great review and welcome to the DGCR:clap: This is the kind of Enthusiasm that's been missing from this site since the MP crashed;) Seriously, I appreciate a well written review where I can get a feel for your game and how it might translate to my own.

On an eagle note, Calvin Heimburg is my new favorite player, got to play a couple rounds with him with controlled 400' eagles on violent hyzers:D

Thanks 7ontheline! I've been playing for just over two years and reading this forum for as long as I've been playing. I've picked up some of what is helpful and not helpful in what was helpful/ not helpful for me as I have been reading. Glad I can help others get some perspective on new plastic!

Heimburg is my sneaky pick to win GBO. He already put together one great win in Vegas - I'm hoping he can continue that hot play at GBO. On a selfish note, I'd love to see Heimburg do a flat color glow Eagle as a tour series.:D

Barsby Eagles are beef.

More so than a stock star Eagle X

I need to put some serious beat on my Barsby thrower.

I recently picked up 2 Eagle Ls (1 star and 1 champ). They have a noticeably different flight. Mostly on the HSS stability side of things (i.e. a bit more willing to turn). The LSS was similar.

My favorite Eagles are the L's. Less fade, love the combo of X and L. I throw 150's, so I have stocked up on the L's

Barsby Eagles are beef.

More so than a stock star Eagle X

I need to put some serious beat on my Barsby thrower.

This is what's keeping me from getting any. I already have beefy fairway discs (domey Teebird3, or Banshees) and my other fairway slots are complete going from F3s to Teebirds and then a Star Eagle for the times when I need a lower glide disc/more fade. The regular Star Eagle seems to even be taking forever to beat in. I've had it in my bag for a year now and I'm still not getting any turn on throws that go out to 350' or about.

Go find the what's this worth thread.

On star eagles, the x I have came with a nice turn. The plastic is a bit softer than normal. The star L I have had almost no turn, and earlier fade. Stiffer than average plastic. Maybe the plastic stiffness effects the LSS?

What would the difference be between the Eagle-L (Infinite Exodus even?) that is produced today and the Teebird?

Wing shape and stability. The Eagle L will be a little less overstable then a teebird. Both will be straight to hyzer but the eagle L will hold straight a bit longer.

What I'm getting at is it seems Eagles, X and L, are more HSS to where it needs a lot of seasoning before you get any turn out of them. My Eagle Xs that I rotate are a 1-2 years into being thrown every week multiple times and neither show any turn yet. For reference I get my Teebirds and Eagles out to 350' - 380' max d.

With what I've read here, on Reddit, and heard elsewhere is Eagle Ls are flying closer to a turn of 0 than a turn of -1. Is that essentially making it fly similar to a Teebird with a point less of glide?

Is how they fade the only difference then?

From this thread it sounds like those beef ones do exist and I got them. I couldv'e gotten those. All of mine are Double Eagle X-outs except for one regular Star that's orange.

From this thread it sounds like those beef ones do exist and I got them. I couldv'e gotten those. All of mine are Double Eagle X-outs except for one regular Star that's orange.

Do your Eagles have a noticeable "ledge" on the top where the flight plate meets the wing?

All of my older Star Eagles are a smooth transition from flight plate to wing. Newer star eagles all have a little ledge where flight plate meets the wing. Like the flight plate is puffing up or the wing is sagging during cooling. The ones with this "ledge" definitely fly more stable than those with the smooth transition, and I definitely prefer my older eagles.

Do your Eagles have a noticeable "ledge" on the top where the flight plate meets the wing?

All of my older Star Eagles are a smooth transition from flight plate to wing. Newer star eagles all have a little ledge where flight plate meets the wing. Like the flight plate is puffing up or the wing is sagging during cooling. The ones with this "ledge" definitely fly more stable than those with the smooth transition, and I definitely prefer my older eagles.

This!!!! The eagles with the ledge are garbage IMO. It's almost like they're using a defective mold now. However, the newer embossed DX eagles with the ledge and tons of dome are absolute bombers. They fly more like -2/2 or -1/1 but damn do they glide.

This!!!! The eagles with the ledge are garbage IMO. It's almost like they're using a defective mold now. However, the newer embossed DX eagles with the ledge and tons of dome are absolute bombers. They fly more like -2/2 or -1/1 but damn do they glide.

My assumption here is that this is due to the blend of plastics shrinking slightly when cooling. The top of the wing pulls inward toward the flight plate (possibly due to the flight plate itself contracting), tilting the nose up and creating that ledge between the dome and wing where it kind of "creases".

Does this make sense?

Results in domier, high PLH eagles that are more overstable and have the "crease" between the wing and flightplate.

I could be way off base here, as I have no experience or real knowledge in injection molding and how plastics heat and cool.

My assumption here is that this is due to the blend of plastics shrinking slightly when cooling. The top of the wing pulls inward toward the flight plate (possibly due to the flight plate itself contracting), tilting the nose up and creating that ledge between the dome and wing where it kind of "creases".

Does this make sense?

Results in domier, high PLH eagles that are more overstable and have the "crease" between the wing and flightplate.

I could be way off base here, as I have no experience or real knowledge in injection molding and how plastics heat and cool.

I totally get what you're saying and it could be a possibility. I know absolutely nothing about injection molding. The only thing that leads me to believe it isn't plastic related is the fact that I've seen this ledge on DX, star and champion. Also why would this phenomenon be exclusive to the eagle? That's why o was thinking it was their current mold. Again I know absolutely nothing about injection molding. I do know that it's sad there aren't any good production eagles right now IMO.

I get -1 out of all my L except a freak star L. Get less turn but still some out of my X eagles as well. I'm throwing like 320 or so right now.

Maybe you got the beef eagles, or the nose is up a smidge?

My 10x L mold is probably close to -2 while I have a 11x mold glow champ L is definitely a 0 even after 10 years in the bag