• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Easy Disc Dye Technique

Kevro79

First of all, I love this site. I recently joined and I have seen and learned a lot of cool stuff. Since I have only been playing for a year, I have a lot to learn. But, I did try my first dye today, and it came out pretty good. Here is what I did.

-I made sure I had a disc with the right kind of plastic. Of my discs, my Discraft Avenger ESP FLX was the best bet.

-I searched my home for supplies. I found an x-acto knife, clear contact paper, painter's tape, and amazingly some Black Rit Dye that had been in my laundry room for who knows how long. Since I basically had all the supplies, I jumped right into dyeing my first disc.

1. I took the factory image off with acetone and a paper towel. Simply wipe it off.

2. second, I needed a design: type in "stencil" on google, the first site listed was the best one. I found a design, printed it off.

3. I taped that paper on top of the contact paper, and cut out the image.

4. I used painters tape to cover the cut out image on the contact paper so when I pulled the backing off, the thin areas would remain in place.

5. Then I placed the image on the disc and made sure all air bubbles were out.

-now is where I changed things up

6. Instead of making a "bath" of rit dye on the stove. I simply poured a little rit dye powder in a glass (only around 1/6 of the bag), added around 10 drops of a dark food coloring and just a little water until it was the consistency of toothpaste. (not sure if the food coloring is necessary, but it works)

7. Heated it in the microwave for around 5 seconds, and stirred it up again.

8. Then I covered the cut out image on the disc with the paste and waited around 5-10 min.

9. Wash off the Dye paste and peel of the contact paper and you are done.

This left a nice, dark image on my disc and none of the dye went underneath the contact paper.

All in all the totaly process took me 30 min. This is the final product:

firstdye.png

I hope this helped some of you beginners like me. Now I will test more and more techniques. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Thanks! to answer your question bigjon318, I haven't stopped thinking about it since I actually pulled it off. If my other discs weren't mainly DX and Pro-D plastic I would dye them all, but from what I've read, those plastics don't take dye well. I'm trying to figure out what to add onto the bull disc I just did. I also have an Innova Champion Sidewinder I want to dye, which is the disc I use the most for drives. Basically im really excited about being able to customize my discs. Let me know how your disc turns out mrjohnhawley. I wish you the success I had with my first dye.

Great start! I love me some Red Bull, fits right in my disc bag, and makes for a great dye!
3815284825_dd61b9a1e8_m.jpg

You CAN dye your DX and Pro-D plastic, it just takes more time in the dye. Use a little acetone in the mix to speed things up, but try it anyway, a small faded dye is still better than nothing imho!

Thanks! your disc looks great. Hopefully I can get to that point. Do you use a plotter BennettUA? or do you actually use an x-acto to cut all of the layers for that disc? I'm probably going to obtain one of the x-acto 360 blades i've been hearing about. And now you brought up a good point about my DX and Pro-D plastics, I will probably dye them now just get more practice and to make my disc the most badass of all my friends haha. I appreciate the comments, hope all of you have a great day.

Latest posts