• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Easy OS, Straight to Fade Please

Teebirds and Thunderbirds are great depending on what speed you want. I just got a glow Teebird3 and it's awesome. Just what I expect from Teebirds but a little quicker and dead-flat top. I'm digging it. There are literally hundreds of options in different brands and different plastics for what you're looking for, but my favorites are the Eagle, T3, CD2, or Tyrant. The Tyrant is pretty beefy, but for a 300' shot, it'll do the trick of a reliably overstable bomber.

My #1 pick for this slot has to be the CD2. I just love them. A tick less fade than a Thunderbird, but every bit as long, and super duper straight. It's my tunnel driver for sure. I carry 2 S-Lines at all times. If you want a bit more fade, the C-CD2 flies veerrrrry similar to a Thunderbird. 9/5/0/2.

Normally turn will extend the flight a bit before fading... if you want just a hint of turn before a strong fade to get you a little more D then an Eagle would be what you want. Volts don't have much turn at all and rely on glide and arm speed to get down the fairway, but that means they are more predictable and accurate.

OK yeah, that's sort of why I was wondering if a Convict or Eagle might be a good fit...even if they don't turn much for me, might extend my flight...

I don't want to start a teebird vs volt thing but will Teebird be easier for me to get distance on prior to fading, as Stardoggy suggested?

Thunderbird and Culverin also might be good options as suggested above...

Pipeline, Thief, Saint are all discs that I throw for that. If you are throwing your Heat straight, as do I, you should see the Saint come back a little left. Pipeline and Thief are more OS than that, even though they are a tick slower.

OK yeah, that's sort of why I was wondering if a Convict or Eagle might be a good fit...even if they don't turn much for me, might extend my flight...

I don't want to start a teebird vs volt thing but will Teebird be easier for me to get distance on prior to fading, as Stardoggy suggested?

Thunderbird and Culverin also might be good options as suggested above...
I've found that teebirds are easier to get up to speed but volts go further. Volts start out a little more OS, but whatever you end up getting I'd keep beating that volt in, they become something special once they lose their fade. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't bag them haha
I've got a culverin that isn't very high speed stable, in fact it's practically a 400 foot turnover disc for me... but that may be what you're looking for for straight to fade at ~325. maybe I have a fluke, I don't know. The only thunderbird I've ever had was a max weight champ that was a hog. Limited sample size though

Teebirds and Thunderbirds are great depending on what speed you want. I just got a glow Teebird3 and it's awesome. Just what I expect from Teebirds but a little quicker and dead-flat top. I'm digging it. There are literally hundreds of options in different brands and different plastics for what you're looking for, but my favorites are the Eagle, T3, CD2, or Tyrant. The Tyrant is pretty beefy, but for a 300' shot, it'll do the trick of a reliably overstable bomber.

My #1 pick for this slot has to be the CD2. I just love them. A tick less fade than a Thunderbird, but every bit as long, and super duper straight. It's my tunnel driver for sure. I carry 2 S-Lines at all times. If you want a bit more fade, the C-CD2 flies veerrrrry similar to a Thunderbird. 9/5/0/2.

So at my power level, you think the S line CD2 would be something I ought to consider for straight to fade or C line?

So it sounds like 9 speeds might be too much speed for this stability you're looking for.

Teebird is a 7speed like crave/servo class vs volt. Volts are more like PDs or an OS thunderbird etc.

Also keep in mind you likely can get one of your current US discs to fly straight and fade with a hyzer flip. Wont work as well into headwind but a less OS mold can actually fly straighter and fade more with the right technique as the less OS molds dont want to dive to the ground when fading.

So at my power level, you think the S line CD2 would be something I ought to consider for straight to fade or C line?

I use the Swirly S-Line from about 350' in as a straight with low fade. (as I said, my tunnel shot disc) If you're getting an Escape and Heat to 330' and they are showing high speed turn, I'd check out a max weight C-CD2. Should fly very straight with a late, fairly strong fade, much like a Thunderbird, but in my opinion, a little more comfortable feeling in the hand. The Thunderbird is a phenomenal disc, but it has a bit sharper downturn on the bottom wing where the CD2 is a little smoother.

100% Convict. I throw the same as you and thats what I have for that slot. Absolutely love that disc. Also love the champ Thunderbirds and DX Thunderbirds. The Convict is too close the the champ thunderbird to bag both though. Might also try an opto Saint or Saint Pro although. I ditched both those molds but they might fit you well.

100% Convict. I throw the same as you and thats what I have for that slot. Absolutely love that disc. Also love the champ Thunderbirds and DX Thunderbirds. The Convict is too close the the champ thunderbird to bag both though. Might also try an opto Saint or Saint Pro although. I ditched both those molds but they might fit you well.

Great to know, thank you.

At 320ft of power Teebirds would be straight to fade. I recommend the g*, it has very good glide, but still good HSS. It will give you a moderate fade at the end of the flight. Champions wil in general give you a little bit more fade than the g*. There are variations from disc to disc tho, the very flat champions are typically quite overstable.

STAR TL or a Star Leopard 3. TL has a 1 fade but is straight as an arrow with slight fade at the end. Leo3 has -2 turn and a 1 fade so it will come back slightly. Both are straight just depends on the turn you want.

STAR TL or a Star Leopard 3. TL has a 1 fade but is straight as an arrow with slight fade at the end. Leo3 has -2 turn and a 1 fade so it will come back slightly. Both are straight just depends on the turn you want.

This.^^^

I might add that a Champion TL will be a tad more overstable fresh out of the box, and will take a long while to season in. So if the Teebird is too much fade, try a TL in Star and/or Champion plastic.

Another vote for the Thunderbird. They don't fade out that hard even at lower arm speeds. They also handle the wind great!

Tl3 is surprisingly straight when not ripped too hard. Real sniper, I bag it as the tight shot FD.

Also tried the rival a bit, real nice. Some people compare it to a beat in teebird? A tad more stable than Tl.

I went for the Saint and won't look back. Straight and long.

S-PD, Thunderbird, TeeBird, Star Eagle-X (Champs are glideless OS), Culverin, or any slightly US disc on a hyzerflip.

Being in the same wheelhouse as the OP and having tried most of the discs he is considering; these are my thoughts:

You are having success with the 19-20mm rims of the Escape and Heat? Are they what fit best in your hand? Stick with the 9 speeds. I have tired of trying to make Teebirds and Eagles work for me, and have accepted that 17mm discs do not work with my hand size. So go Undertaker, Convict, or Thunderbird; *if* that is the case.

The Undertaker is mostly straight with fade at the end for me. I would estimate -0.5 HSS and 2.0 LSS. Its blunt nose slows it down some, but makes it predictable. It is for me what the Teebird is for others.

The Convict is more stable than the Undertaker. I would estimate -0.5 HSS and 2.75 LSS. I use it as my wind, FH, and hyzer disc.

The Thunderbird, which I have rather limit experience with, seems true to its numbers.

Being in the same wheelhouse as the OP and having tried most of the discs he is considering; these are my thoughts:

You are having success with the 19-20mm rims of the Escape and Heat? Are they what fit best in your hand? Stick with the 9 speeds. I have tired of trying to make Teebirds and Eagles work for me, and have accepted that 17mm discs do not work with my hand size. So go Undertaker, Convict, or Thunderbird; *if* that is the case.

The Undertaker is mostly straight with fade at the end for me. I would estimate -0.5 HSS and 2.0 LSS. Its blunt nose slows it down some, but makes it predictable. It is for me what the Teebird is for others.

The Convict is more stable than the Undertaker. I would estimate -0.5 HSS and 2.75 LSS. I use it as my wind, FH, and hyzer disc.

The Thunderbird, which I have rather limit experience with, seems true to its numbers.

A lot of good info in here, much appreciated. Yes, Heat and Escape feel great in the hand. I love everything about the Zflx Heat: grip, fit, flight, etc. When I felt a Convict in a PIAS store the other week it had that same spectacular feel. For this reason and because of comments above I was leaning towards a Convict or a Thunderbird. Good to know that the Undertaker would also be viable. It's probably what I should have originally bought instead of the Escape due to some overlap with the Heat... but I like it too. Could honestly be the best fit if it's less stable than Convict. But I'm betting/hoping any of those three would work... Ill be going to a store in a couple weeks so I plan to feel all, see what weights are available and go from there.

I do have a DX Eagle and yes, I suppose the slightly larger rim of 9 speed does fit my hand best. To that point, I prefer fan grip on my Eagle. But that sucker does fly - it's also absolutely thrashed...been split a couple times, glued, bonded back together :)

Thanks a lot

The Star TeeBird, Eagle, QJLS would all suffice in the slower end of the spectrum. On the faster side the RDG Ptero (really underappreciated) would be worth trying, as would a PD with a lower PLH. One in P-Line/G-Line comes to mind.