• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eco Friendly Bags

teetones

What if there was a company that made a disc golf bag that gave back?

I feel like I am not alone in the disc golf community when I say I care about the environment as much as I care about disc golf and the equipment I use for it. What if there was a disc golf bag that was made from recycled materials, and donated money (or back packs) to parks or schools.

If the bag bags were of comparable quality and pricing of standard golf bags I know the disc golf community would stand behind it.

What are your thoughts fellow golfers? Would you ditch you brand name bag for a good cause? Why or why not?

Thank you for your time.

No. I care about the environment but don't think a bag that will cost 4x as much and be crappy would really keep a polar bear from drowning. I pick up bottles and chip bags. I do my part!

No. I care about the environment but don't think a bag that will cost 4x as much and be crappy would really keep a polar bear from drowning. I pick up bottles and chip bags. I do my part!

Basically my thoughts on the matter.

Picking up bottles and bags? Sounds like you're doing someone else's part, Nick. Still :thmbup: to you sir.

If it was marginally more expensive and just as good as my current bag, I would buy one when I needed a new bag. But I'm not going out of my way to buy a new 250+ dollar bag for the environment. I do my part... pick up trash, do regular course cleanup, recycle my beer bottles.

But I don't know when I'll be in the market for a new bag, as I got my Grip for Christmas. And I plan to test this lifetime warranty.

One can do a lot more individually for the environment, parks, and schools than buy a disc bag from a company that donates money. Help the local disc club with work days on the course. Buy discs and give them to kids. Buy a second bag for a kid. Don't worry about these things and wait for someone else to do the job.

No more feelers threads! Just make your company and if someone buys your bags, good for you. I personally like a top quality bag made by a major manufacturing company. And I already have more bags than I will ever need forever.

No. My bag is eco friendly. I bought it and have reused the same bag for nearly two years now. When it is worn out, I will likely give it to one of my nephews or buddies kids to use until nearly disintegrated. I donate time teaching the game to kids and take time out for several day shifts at the local food bank. I also pick up bottles, cans, and chip bags.

honestly, i could carry all my discs in one of those aldi's or trader joe's recycled bags and feel just fine about it. i used to use the plastic grocery bags from target and rainbow. no joke. i got made fun of on the course but hell, it was free and held my discs.

i'd buy your bag if it was better and similarly priced. i know people can do it, it's just that someone needs to make a bag that can service a disc golfer and also the general population so they can mass produce, sell more and drive down the price.

Thank you for the comments, even if they were surprising!

I agree that recycled products have the stigma of a lower grade of quality with a larger price tag, but I think the technology is there to make a lasting, cost effective bag.

I think the fact that we like to pick up bottles and trash would make us prone to buy things like this!

Is there something you would need to hear to switch? i.e. warranty, lower cost, more disc golf specific charity. I'm all ears.

I think to anyone buying a bag, the charitable part makes no difference. The quality, style, and comfort makes the bag sell. If you make that, then the people will buy it like they buy discs.

If they made them out of recycled grocery bags I would consider getting one, I loathe those bags and what they are doing to our environment!!!!!!

No more feelers threads! Just make your company and if someone buys your bags, good for you.

Or, at the very least, be straightforward with the opening post. "I'm considering ___________ and would like some input."

My guess is that the premium bag market isn't that big to begin with. If you want to make it, beat the competition with quality, design, or price, or better, some combination of these. If you look at the small number of premium bag buyers, and the small percentage of them for whom recycled will be a determing factor, you won't have much of a customer base.

all of my equipment purchases will be made with 100% consideration to performance, durability and overall value.

i could care less how eco-friendly my bag is.

I honestly see "eco friendly" as marketing crap. I don't really believe many products, market this way, are eco friendly, in any way. Perhap they use some recycled product, but often create more of a carbon footprint, via manufacturing, packaging, delivery..... Not stating this is the case in your endevour, but that is why this angle is lost to me, as a consumer. I try to save the planet in other ways. Good luck though.

Even if they're not made from recycled materials, a well-built bag is eco-friendly insomuch as it is durable and used for a long, long time, likely through multiple owners. The Gateway bag I bought in 1997 is currently being used by my brother. I have another bag for backups that is that old. I upgraded to a Grip and my LatPro now has a new owner. That new owner of the LatPro gave his old bag to his wife, whose old bag is being shuffled to my sister-in-law. Who are the people buying golf bags and throwing them away on a monthly basis so that this would be necessary?

No, I wouldn't buy that bag because a term like "eco-friendly" is just another one of those buzzwords meant to separate ideologically driven slacktivists from their money for a product that may be all that truthful in delivering whatever positive change they wish to see in the world. Kind of like "free range" or "organic".

No, I wouldn't buy that bag because a term like "eco-friendly" is just another one of those buzzwords meant to separate ideologically driven slacktivists from their money for a product that may be all that truthful in delivering whatever positive change they wish to see in the world. Kind of like "free range" or "organic".

Beer was the product that always cracked me up. Light, ice, red, natural, draft, black....just marketing, nothing really special about them.

I think there's a market there if you have a great product. Check out Alchemy goods out of Seattle. Great product/company. People will pay good/big $$ for a well made/unique bag, as evidenced by the wait list at Gorilla Boy/Revo/Mystery Ranch.