• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Effect of heat on discs?

CabMakio

Bogey Member
I live in Phoenix where we are already in the low hundreds and before too long it is going to be 115+ outside.

Out of fear of showing up to the course and having forgotten to grab my discs out of my apartment, I just leave them in my trunk year round.

Just wondering what effect, if any, that kind of prolonged exposure to heat will have on my discs?

I live in Phoenix where we are already in the low hundreds and before too long it is going to be 115+ outside.

Out of fear of showing up to the course and having forgotten to grab my discs out of my apartment, I just leave them in my trunk year round.

Just wondering what effect, if any, that kind of prolonged exposure to heat will have on my discs?

Champion/Z and other plastics like that will get very soft and stay that way for a while till you can get them to a freezer, going almost Z FLX The Star/ESP like plastic beomes like G Star and G Star ESP FLX and like plastic becomes like a Soft X in terms of flex. Soft X/R-Pro beocmes like the Gumputt and that DGA linup of putters. X/Pro like plastic becomes like Soft X and R-pro in feel. So basically everything goes at least down a peg in softness. I have also seen some ESP OS Buzz get warped like a Pringle Chip due to being left in a car on a hot summer day, but those were old 2007 OS Buzz from a tournament.

It is bad for the discs for sure. I do the same, but the hottest day of the year is usally only 100 or less here, but it still hurts the discs long term.

Most of my baselines turn flattop in about a month in the summer. Mid grades will wrap some but my Prem plastic holds up well.

115 may be too much in the long run

It can warp them for sure, usually you can eat them back with some work, but unless you plan to just keep a few you don't care about in the car(that's what I do) it usually isn't a good idea.

Depends on the car you drive. If you have a regular sedan type car with a trunk that can vent heat, as long as you keep the discs organized, you should be ok. You want them standing straight up, without anything on top of them. If you have an SUV type vehicle where the trunk is part of the cabin, you may not want to keep them in there. Also, you don't want to have them just piled up or stacked on top of each other...

...As hot as it is there. your discs are gonna get hot pretty quick while playing anyway. So as long as you take basic precautions to keep them from warping in the trunk, I don't think you should have any trouble if you have a normal car trunk.

Last edited:
I have only had a couple of premium discs warp badly on me...Champ and Opto style plastic, and after a few days of playing they did go back to normal. But noticeably more understable when they were warped. So yeah, don't stack them weird especially in the heat.

There was a tournament last year, maybe a DGWT event in Europe, where the discs were getting so hot just lying on the ground that the stamping was burning the players. The commenters were discussing it on the video.

Point being: leaving them in excessive heat in the car might damage YOU if you are not careful, so keep that in mind.

For me, I'd take my bag back inside the home. As someone above suggested, keep a smaller bag with just a few extra discs in the car if forgetting your bag is an issue.

Latest posts