• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Effect of LED's on discs

slimshadyemb

Birdie Member
I have played a lot of night rounds recently since about last October. Not counting winter rounds played in 15 degree garbage with full snow gear on, I feel like I have noticed a difference in disc flight

My overstable stuff tends to be throwable. I had a hard time doing anything with discs such as the surge during the summer. In winter, it has a gentle bend and predictable fade. When I get to my understable plastic, I feel like I turn them all right and they NEVER fade out of it.

Does the added weight of the battery/led in the middle of a disc really have any effect? Does anyone know how many grams these plus tape end up adding? How about the effect of all that weight directly in the middle of the disc? Curious about the community opinion

I think more important than the weight is the aerodynamics of the disc change. It makes sense that a disc with a bump taped on top would be less stable due to increased turbulence.

I only tape my LEDs to the bottom of the disc. I make a small pouch with LED and battery. Then I tape the pouch to the disc. USUALLY use a champion/elite Z disc at night. Sometimes use a white ESP/ESP FLX disc. But light ALWAYS taped on bottom. Might change things

Im still new-ish to the sport, but I notice very little difference in the flight of discs with an LED taped to them. I use stretchy medical tape, it holds AMAZINGLY well, even in wet conditions, and you dont have to use a ton. Are you using lots and lots and lots of tape?

From my experience playing glow, the only difference I've notice with taping LED's to the disc is it's heavier. That's provided the LED is on the BOTTOM and close to perfectly centered. Everything in my bag is 170+. I have a couple discs for glow though that are 165-167 and I don't notice a difference with the LED's and my 170+ stuff that I normally throw.

Or it's mostly just much colder temperatures. The LED and tape are usually less than 2 grams, sometimes 1 gram of total added weight depending on the tape and LED model. Discs fly less stable out of your hand as the temperature drops due to higher air density. That may be the largest effect you are seeing, more than the LED.

The L.E.D I use is nothing more than a bobber light for fishing. The duct tape used to tape it is very small. I don't think it has that much effect. I think alot is the way the atmoshpere is when playing at night. Discs just fly different for me. Predictable, but different. I wonder how the disc that have L.E.D.s built in them fl? I;ve seen them around.
f

battery/LED/tape weighed in at slightly over 4 grams. I like to do the small led + battery combo, because I think i got 20 batteries and 20 leds for like, $13. I know if the snow i'm adding some OAT because the lack of footing throws me off. I'm still a little convinced the LED changes it a little bit

My disc buddy has a teebird. It does what it's advertised as during the day. With the light on it he absolutely crushes this disc. Nice gentle turn and gentle fade, seems to add some distance for him. His throw is nothing if not consistent, we are both convinced that the weight, added directly to the middle of the disc, changes the balance and flight path a slight bit

Don't think it's all in my head but I'm certainly not a pro when it comes to physics

I got one of those LEDs that screw into your disc, worst decision i've ever made. It didnt affect the flight but it did break after hitting a few trees leaving four holes in the middle of my champ beast.

I've never played night disc golf, but the Disc Golf Association that I'm a member of has decided to have a night tournament this May. I don't want to damage my discs in any way. I only intend on playing at night this one time.

I was thinking about using a midrange in champ or Z plastic and taping the glow light on the bottom of the flight plate with clear shipping tape. What do you guys think?

My disc buddy has a teebird. It does what it's advertised as during the day. With the light on it he absolutely crushes this disc. Nice gentle turn and gentle fade, seems to add some distance for him. His throw is nothing if not consistent, we are both convinced that the weight, added directly to the middle of the disc, changes the balance and flight path a slight bit

That's my teebird... I do tend to crush it with the light on. It's only meh during the day.

I have only played one round of night golf and I used LEDs and a battery taped to the bottom and my discs were noticeably more understable. It makes sense because that puts more weight in the center of the disc which means it is less gyroscopic.

I have only played one round of night golf and I used LEDs and a battery taped to the bottom and my discs were noticeably more understable. It makes sense because that puts more weight in the center of the disc which means it is less gyroscopic.

I'm glad someone else sees it like I do

Ok I went and weighed it. The battery + led + tape came out to be
about 6gr for a CR2032 battery (thicker one)
about 4gr for a CR 2016 battery

Disc lights up the same for both, the effect is duration

But 6grams added directly to the center of the disc MUST have a major effect on it's flight.

I have tried the bobber lights. They are effective, and MUCH lighter, I think there is VERY minimal effect with these. However these are $3.99 each. The LED/battery combo cost about $0.70 each, and I'll just use my overstable stuff at night