• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elaine King Leaving Discraft

bnbanbury

Eagle Member
I was surprised to not already see this on the forums. From her FB page:

Announcement – Effectively immediately I will no longer be representing Discraft.
I have had a long association with Discraft from the very beginning of my disc golf career. It started with Gail McColl and Jim Kenner, co-founders of Discraft, who I met in 1985. Gail freely provided me with throwing tips but, more importantly, with advice to improve my strategic thinking and mental toughness. She started giving me discs and shirts in the late 1980's, long before the concept of Team Discraft was developed in the early 1990's. Gail and Jim grew to be friends and sponsors. Jim has built a highly successful business which Mike Wagner has continued to develop. I have always considered the quality and consistency of Discraft discs to be a major competitive advantage.

However, after a long period of careful consideration, I have made the difficult decision that my future disc golf goals are not well aligned with Discraft's business plans.
I wish Discraft future success and my former teammates good fortune in their disc golf pursuits. I look forward to continuing to enjoying the company of Discraft staff and team members on and off the course.

Winning-est player in the history as far as I know.

Really too bad. She is a great ambassador of the game and the key feather in Team Discraft's hat, IMO.

This might be connected to her leaving Discraft, although there have been some sponsored players during their terms on the PDGA Board. https://www.pdga.com/announcements/pdga-board-directors-officers-appointed-2017-2018

I would think the two items are absolutely is connected. Not sure which came first, but being on the PDGA board, and sponsored by Discraft would be a pretty obvious conflict of interest...

I am not speculating either way on what happened, just stating the obvious that a sponsored player (of any manufacturer) would have a conflict participating in the PDDGA BOD.

I would think the two items are absolutely is connected. Not sure which came first, but being on the PDGA board, and sponsored by Discraft would be a pretty obvious conflict of interest...

I am not speculating either way on what happened, just stating the obvious that a sponsored player (of any manufacturer) would have a conflict participating in the PDDGA BOD.

There have been sponsored players on the board for years. Nate Heinold who is one that list as the new Secretary is on the Discraft Ambassador team, Kevin McCoy Team Innova, the former president Rebecca Duffy is on Team Legacy. Now that's not saying Elaine doesn't feel differently and decided for herself that there was a conflict of interest.

I personally do not think you should continue sponsorship with any company as a member of the pdga board. There is definitely a conflict of interest when it comes to voting for certain items that could go in favor of your sponsor. If that is her stance I applaud it fully.