• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevated Basket

discgolfertub

Par Member
At my local course there is a 265' hole in an open field that requires an elevated basket.

Please post pictures & unique ideas for an elevated basket.

Lets make this a good one. :thmbup:

I'm a little curious about the use of the word "requires".

Other questions involve, how high, what's the budget, and do you have access to earth-moving equipment?

In the meantime, here's one of my favorites:

Hole%2018%20Reverse%20View%20from%20overthrow%20(2).jpg

I'm a little curious about the use of the word "requires".

Other questions involve, how high, what's the budget, and do you have access to earth-moving equipment?

Well the basic hole requires a little help to become a good/great hole, as fas as elevated baskets go.

No earth moving equipment in the $200 budget. Height depends on the design. I'm open to ideas.

L to R:
The bare minimum - Top of a $200 budget probably - What my choice would be with a $200 budget.

Attachments

• defbf73f.jpg
    defbf73f.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 924377_537760872999931_1752015263_n.jpg
    924377_537760872999931_1752015263_n.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 30f5c318.jpg
    30f5c318.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 97
You can get a longer pole.

About anything you can build with $200, and no dirt to backfill, is going to be a basket raised above the surrounding ground. I'm not a big fan of slightly higher-than-normal baskets; I find them annoying. If you can build a mound, or a platform or terrace, it means that a shot that lands on the raised surface is at normal height, but a shot that misses is punished by having a more difficult putt. I like that.

The once exception that comes to mind, that I like, is at Flyboy, where there is a huge knarled dead cedar log laid on its side, with the basket on top, raised about 3'. The log is so cool that it makes up for having nowhere to lay up.

I do not however recommend this:

Just looks like the basket got caught rustling cattle or something... Poor basket....

Some idiot will also probably "have" to try swinging from it and end up hurting the basket or himself. Plus a bad approach shot can still be easily "caught" by the steps and such, just too much structure...

Attachments

• bff05ded.jpg
    bff05ded.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 99
Here's an alternative thought to elevating the basket:

Built a wall, 2-3' tall, about 25' from the basket, in a semi-circle on the front side. Shots that clear the wall may be marked. Shots that hit the wall dead-on will stop, in the 25-30' putting range that isn't a gimme. Shots that hit the wall on the side will carom further away.

Some people will over-shoot the basket, just trying to be sure to clear the wall.

You can do this without fill dirt.

.... a little bit like this hole, which plays out as I described (thought he wall is due to be raised higher):

Hole%2015B%20Green%20from%20Tee%20(1).jpg

A similar idea to the wall is an island green. You can use natural supplies such as logs or rocks. You could put in brick papers for less than 200?

I say keep throwing till your on the island....no?

Depends on whether you want to encourage Novices, Juniors, etc., when you play it 'formally'. I know a Senior Grandmaster who plays a fine game but could never reach a green at 230-290' from the tee...

.... a little bit like this hole, which plays out as I described (thought he wall is due to be raised higher):

Hole%2015B%20Green%20from%20Tee%20(1).jpg

I'm not sure why - but I think I like this better than the island green...especially if you can get the walls up higher to waist high or so to make it really interesting.

I think the reason I like it is it's intimidation level for those who can't make the shot (which given my noob status happens a lot). On the island - if you don't have the distance / accuracy you will pay for it dearly and it is really intimidating....which can turn people off. With the wall - if you don't have the distance / accuracy, its like a small bush on any other hole that gets in your way but isn't a major PITA. If you do have it - the wall adds a very nice risk/reward shot that rewards a great placement.

I vote island
It's perfect for that length of hole if you make a larger one.
Drop zone off to the side, about 50' away from pin.

I like both the island green or wall ideas.
You could also just strategically plant a few trees or bushes that would force at least a little thought into placement. Shots landing behind bushes may make for difficult putts.