• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevated basket

skottyb

Eagle Member
I know this has been discussed before, I did some searching. But I am really looking for some design plans to elevate a basket. The hole is 350' tunnel shot through the woods to an opening. I attached a picture which is taken directly behind the basket facing the tee pad. Elevating the basket will give the player an eye on the basket and also add some risk/reward to an upshot. If you go long past the basket now it does go down hill but it is not very steep.

If anyone has any plans or designs I'd love to see them, I have some ideas like using 4x4s braced together and getting a longer pole to attach the basket too. Any other ideas? I have seen some pictures but it isn't exactly clear how well they have held up over the years. I definitely want it too be safe, and also appealing to players. Thanks for your help!

1e214527.jpg

I will have to try to find some pictures for you, but Blue Ribbon Pines #26 is a landscapers' dream when it comes to elevating a basket. It would require a enormous rocks.

Otherwise courses have used stumps or placing them in the trees; this can usually add about two to four feet of height, but that does not look like an option here as you have the basket in the open.

At a local small course, they just built up a mound of dirt, packed it down, and seeded it (to hold the mound). It created a quick elevation rise that ultimately was no more than 15 to 20 feet in diameter but raised the basket up by five feet.

I do not know how vandalism is in your area, but I have seen baskets placed on top of platforms like mini-decks/ balconies or on top of stands that you would use for hunting. It obviously looks very artificial and will upset a few people, but if it looks professional, it could become a marquee hole or very photogenic. It will also be a vandal magnet.

I am not sure how it would work here in this instance without making it look like a torture device, but I have also seen hanging baskets. Personally I do not like this idea, but again it adds that extra flare to the course to help distinguish it from other courses in the area.

437a2d23.jpg

Hole 3 at Basil in Rochester. I think they've redone it with railroad ties since this picture was taken. Either way, it looks cool but I find it annoying to play.

We used a 3-foot well tile and filled it with gravel and concrete to elevate one of our baskets. Well tiles can be a bit expensive (quick price check showed $150-170 for a 3-footer), but they're solid and aren't going to be susceptible to destructive vandals (they could add graffiti, I guess). You could always bury it by building up a mound around it, or terrace it with 4x4s and backfill.

Here's a pic of our results...

red-080514-10E.gif

build a box with landscaping timbers. fill with dirt, dig out a hole for the pole, fill with concrete. BOOM! easy elevated basket.

for something taller or more visually appealing, it gets harder. and you also have to make it safe and easily accessible to retrieve the disc. so stairs or a ladder of some kind are needed.

Mounds? Stumps? Why not both? Here's one from the Mohawk course here in Indiana.

2012-11-04_17-12-17_196.jpg

I wish this picture were from farther back. This is such a wild looking hole and the hill looks WAY different than this picture shows. That doesn't look NEARLY as scary as the actual hole plays when your your 10' putt is straight up and a miss could send you 40' away, haha

I'm partial to the way Hornet's Nest elevated #9.

Here's Sugah Creek #6. Same concept.

QUOTE]

6 & 14 Sugaw, 8 & 17 Stumpy Creek (the park installed a wood box around 17's though) 8 & 9 Hornets Nest, 2 Renny Gold, 17 & 18 Eastway all have that style. 9 holes in Charlotte, lol.
A Stan design.

Dig an average depth hole hole. 18"

Drive in 4' rebar or fence posts in the center of hole.
Set (~6" pipe) PVC Pipe level in hole. Drive 24" posts or rebar around outside of pipe/hole at angles.
Concrete around outside of PVC pipe.
Drive silt fence posts / 4' rebar into the ground and varying angles inside pipe again once concrete sets outside.
Fill pipe with rocks and set basket pole/sleeve level to desired height.
Fill pole with concrete.

I think I got the Stan directions correct. I installed Stumpy's this way and helped with Eastway 17.

Stumps and drilling into large bolders looks cool... but don't stand the test of time and most people don't plan for who will "fix" a poor design.

Just make sure the basket is secure and sturdy...people will use it to climb. How you finish it later is your preference.

I have seen the elevated baskets in NC, especially Hornets Nest, what are they using there to elevate it? Is that just a larger pipe or?

I wish this picture were from farther back. This is such a wild looking hole and the hill looks WAY different than this picture shows. That doesn't look NEARLY as scary as the actual hole plays when your your 10' putt is straight up and a miss could send you 40' away, haha

You gonna play sunday? I plan to make it there.

I think the best design I have seen of all the elevated basket's I have played was Honet's Nest #9 as someone has already said. I do not like the pyramid aproach, the longer pole just seems more realistic for a basket that is meant to be higher off the ground. Just make sure there is a way to get the disc down.

Stumps and drilling into large bolders looks cool... but don't stand the test of time and most people don't plan for who will "fix" a poor design.

Just make sure the basket is secure and sturdy...people will use it to climb. How you finish it later is your preference.

That's what I was thinking, might look into how they secured the baskets at the Hornets Nest and then build something around those. They look SOLID

Latest posts