• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevated Pins

kvanorsdel

Eagle Member
Our club is discussing adding an elevated pin to a very flat wide open hole.

I was wondering if you have any favorite elevated pin designs, if so what are they? If you have pics I'd love to see them

An elevated pin all by itself tends to look silly. I would make sure that you add a bunker on one side to make it a bit more interesting... dig out a hole on, say, the right side, and use the dirt to create a hill a bit to the right of that. Also make sure that the mound you create isn't proportional...nothing more odd looking than a symmetric anthill.

Paul B. Johnson had one about 10 feet up on a small manmade hill. Scary shot from any distance but unusual and gave the hole that risk/reward factor that I like. Sounds like a great idea for a wide open hole like you describe.

My home course in San Diego built a pyramid on two holes to add a challenge and I like them for the novelty sake...one of my favorite elevated holes is 26 (I believe) at Milo McIver--it is on top of a stump..very cool...there is also a basket there on top of an earthen knob...I think maybe hole 7...they add a unique challenge that makes the round more fun

We are thinking along the lines of a step pyramid. I would like to see it be about 5ft tall in 3 sections, about 16"-18" each level with the top step being about 16ft sq. At least this is what I envision

I'm not a big fan of them if they have to be manmade. I've seen a few and aside from looking a bit silly they always seem to have erosion problems around the pin. Eventually you have a smaller hill with a pin (concrete and all) sticking way up in the air. It takes the clean look of the basket away. I don't like it.

Agree with John. If it's a man made elevation it looks plain silly. The whole point of a disc golf course (in my opinion) is take full advantage of the variety that nature gives us. I love elevated baskets. Like stated above it puts into play the whole risk/reward factor.

Artificially elevated pins are always, always a bad idea. They are not what the game is about, they don't help anything. It's already a tall person's game, I cannot putt nose down being 5'7", why do I want to see a basket higher than it should be? Many courses already have improperly installed baskets that are too high. If I see a raised pin, it gets 1/2 star lower rating on here btw.

Welcome to the 5'7" brotherhood Innovadude! I like raised pins though, they go good with a flat out 300 footer with no trees.

I guess Elevated pins is probably not the right way to say it. I'm thinking more along the lines of an elevated green. You'll be able to stand at or near the pin except for longer putts then it'll be like you are putting uphill

I'm 5'7" and I putt nose down. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by nose down.

30f5c318.jpg

I dig this elevated pin, #1 in Glenwood Springs Colorado, one of my favs.

front of the disc toward the pin lower than the back toward me when putting, i cant do it on most pins and throw from a comfortable angle/style

My release is about shoulder high so I can throw level to down on most baskets, for reasonably short putts anyhow. For longer putts I still start with a nose down attitude but thrown on more of an up angle. It's not a lob putt but the disc is travelling down when it gets to the basket. Discraft has some good putting videos on their site.

I realize we're talking about a few different definitions of "elevated pins" in this thread, but after seeing DGtourist's photo above of the pin in Colorado, I couldn't help but mention that there's a gallery of nine of my favorite elevated pins on my site, including that very one in Glenwood Springs. In case anyone's interested. Good times...

http://www.disctrips.com/galleries/elevated-pins/1.html

Luke