• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Emporia, KS Two Day Trip

Which Emporia Course to play first?

• Peter Pan

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Jones Park East

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Jones Park West

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Boss Man

Bogey Member
A couple friends and myself are going to Emporia over Labor Day weekend to play some of the courses we've heard good things about. I've read the Peter Pan and Jones Park course descriptions and some of the reviews on here but I wanted to get opinions of some of you that may have played it more than a couple times.

The plan is to drive up early, play a course in the morning then play a second course later that evening. Then play a third course the following morning before heading back home.

I'm looking for a priority as to what course(s) we play first in the event of poor weather. Also with our plan of two courses the first day and one the next, is there an order that would be recommended so that we aren't noodle arming the entire third course.

Thanks in advance!

Play both of the Jones Park courses the first day, then Peter Pan the next day. All good courses.

I second KDFrosty. My wife is from Emporia and we are there all the time!

Don't forget to stop by Dynamic Discs in downtown Emporia (right next to the college) and check out the store!

If you are looking for a place to eat, there is Mulready's - nice Irish pub: you've also got Bobby D's BBQ. You could also check out Coach's or Bruff's if you need a bigger variety.

First course I ever played was Jones West. Not too bad for a beginner. Some of the holes at the time were a little long for my noob arm but now that I've played more its a hell of a lot of fun. Both courses offer a unique layout that will require a variety of lines and shot shaping. The elevation is nothing too terribly exciting, but they did incorporate it where they could. That also goes for Peter Pan. All 3 courses also have some water shots (nothing crazy).

I'd run both Jones' courses, then move to Peter Pan Park (my favorite). I usually play Peter Pan in the morning just because there is a stretch towards the back 9 that is out in the more 'open' field area and it can get toasty.

Have fun! I might be down there that weekend if you want we can meet up and can show you around or whatever!

-Kevin

... Hey I'm one of those friends! Any input on the courses on the Golf Courses as well would be awesome!

... Hey I'm one of those friends! Any input on the courses on the Golf Courses as well would be awesome!

I assume you are referring to the Municipal Golf Course that was used during the GBO?

They only opened that course temporarily because of the tournament.

I think there is talks of making it a permanent addition to the courses in Emporia...but the back and forth will probably take some time knowing the city.

Unless 36 holes is your daily limit, you can honestly get all three courses in, have time for lunch, and visit DD World headquarters in a single day. Its not like Emporia is a large city with gridlock traffic. Any one place can be reached from any other in less than 10 minutes. The two Jones courses buck right up against one another and can be played as a continuous 36 hole marathon if you park in the right spot.

If anything, I'd suggest hitting Peter Pan in the AM because being a somewhat neighborhood park, it generally will have more likelihood of non-DG traffic as the day goes on. Jones West gets more rec player traffic than the East course does. The East course is the monster of the three and tops out at 8000', but that's if everything is set long (and it may not be), and its a mostly open track.

The courses at Emporia Country Club and the Municipal Golf Course will not be there as they're only tourney temp layouts for the GBO (and likely for next year's Pro Worlds).

ECC is now a permanent installation, with limited hours ... call them for details on when you can play.

ECC is now a permanent installation, with limited hours ... call them for details on when you can play.
Seriously?!

If that's available in the AM hours, I'd suggest hitting that one the next morning, as it will take the longest to complete.

What was the golf course they used for the GBO? I'm nearly eight hours away but the next time I heading west I would detour a bit for that course alone. Not to mention getting to see DD store in person.

Mbrundi and myself are kinda changing plans ourselves. Certainly playing the three park course but I think we're going to add ECC to the second day.

Being in KC, we're pretty spoiled as disc golf stores go. Having one of the biggest Midwest dg distributor in Disc Golf World and the new dynamic disc store within 10 miles of each other is pretty great. We'll definitely be hitting DD in emporia though because why not?

Thanks for the replies fellas! Super excited for this and having the discraft ace race in KC the week before makes it THAT much better!!!