• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Enough of DGPlanets exclusive coverage of worlds!!!

I used to watch Mcfly's videos when he posted them to his youtube channel, he hasn't posted a video in 7 months...

I have tried to watch live coverage, meh. Maybe if the commentating was better.

Prodigy brought him on as their official videographer. All his content is now published to Prodigy's YouTube channel.

It sounds like that's the path that's being tread with the video coverage. Did you notice the European Open didn't get any coverage beyond SpinTV's whatever-it-was despite the fact that the best disc golf videographer in the game lives minutes from the event?

So below average live coverage for worlds and no rounds beyond wrap-ups for the European Open (and the Final 9 - thanks for throwing us a bone, SpinTV :rolleyes:). Yay, business!
Final 9? They gave us the 4th round with commentary from Jamie and McBeth.

I would be okay with DGPlanet if they didn't demand to be the sole provider of coverage. Look at the GBO. They brought in coverage for multiple cards.

I don't blame DGP as much as I blame the PDGA for handing over all the rights. Actually I'd love to know...

1) how much $$$ (if any) does the PDGA get for giving exclusive rights?

2) Did Rebecca Duffy vote on giving them the rights? (conflict of interest as she works for DGP)

The second point I am frustrated with after listening to an interview where she says that the concept of Conflict of Interest is bull****.
http://discgolftalkradio.com/2013/interview-with-pdga-board-president-rebecca-duffy/

Disc Golf Planet will only be the exclusive provider of live streaming video coverage during the 2015 PDGA Disc Golf Pro World Championships. Other media producers are encouraged to cover the event as long as they adhere to the media policy at http://www.pdga.com/media/policy/worlds and submit a credential request at http://www.pdga.com/media/credentials for approval.

The PDGA does not collect any fees for media rights at this time. To the contrary, we offer subsidies to many of our media partners in an effort to help them provide coverage to you, the viewing audience.

The PDGA does not collect any fees for media rights at this time. To the contrary, we offer subsidies to many of our media partners in an effort to help them provide coverage to you, the viewing audience.

Thanks for the explanation Steve.

If the PDGA does not get any fees, what would the reasoning be to give anyone exclusive live coverage rights? It would at least seem counter-productive especially after we have seen how other events have been so successful by bringing in multiple live feeds?

Prodigy brought him on as their official videographer. All his content is now published to Prodigy's YouTube channel.

Final 9? They gave us the 4th round with commentary from Jamie and McBeth.

The fourth round with JTacoma and McBeth was great, but I wish we got to see other groups as well, even from the earlier rounds. Especially since it's so close to my home country that I might have seen somebody I know.

Thanks for the explanation Steve.

If the PDGA does not get any fees, what would the reasoning be to give anyone exclusive live coverage rights? It would at least seem counter-productive especially after we have seen how other events have been so successful by bringing in multiple live feeds?

it might be tied to dgp's deal with beach sports network. neither party has much incentive if any tom, dick or harry can also stream live footage.

i don't have an issue with exclusive rights when dgp puts out a lot of coverage throughout the tournament AND the youtube guys are allowed to do their thing.

Exclusive any coverage is pretty bs until one group can cover an event.

EXCLUSIVE 1/18th COVERAGE! LIVE!

I have tried to watch live coverage, meh. Maybe if the commentating was better.

This. The commentary on edited videos varies from horrible to fair--never reaches good. On live videos, it ranges from horrible to mediocre.

SmashboxxTV and Pure Hyzer Productions (Paavo Stubstad) have some of the best commentary, IMO. Paavo brings in players from the cards he covers to do commentary with him, BESIDES shooting some of the best footage I have seen. Love that guys videos.

DGP was the 1st "Coverage" I ever got to see, a few years back, so I kind of have a soft spot for them. Exclusive rights on media to specific events is going to be what happens if this sport is grows the way we all hope it will, IMO anyway. The fact the YouTubers can still be there to flim and do post round stuff is pretty cool. We get twice the coverage that way. The cup is half Full, Folks!:)

I still wish Billy Crump and Timmy Gill's companies were involved in production.

All I want is to watch disc golf events through drone cameras. Seriously, I would give my testicles for this to be a reality.

I prefer the edited stuff. I don't have time to watch a 3 hour round of disc. I could go play a round before it finished...

All I can tell you guys is if you don't like the status quo, join the PDGA, vote the existing board members out, and replace them with ones who will give you what you want.

I'm not familiar with the contract so I don't have an answer for you.
Considering there's enough competition where exclusive rights have to be contracted in the first place, I just wonder if actual competitive bids were considered.

I prefer the edited stuff. I don't have time to watch a 3 hour round of disc. I could go play a round before it finished...

like anything live if you edit out the commercials and BS to go with it all the events, show, whateverrr end up being 3/4 to cut in half. Same goes for radio. A show which runs from 5AM to 9AM takes 1 hour and 50mins to listen to on a podcast with no ads. I think NFL games come down to like 15 minutes of real action, LOL.

You can easily fast forward though any live broadcast in a similar manner. Why would you sit though all of the nonsense watching it after it wasn't live? that's just weird.

Latest posts