• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live coverage exclusive to DGPlanet???

Understable

Par Member
On Smashboxx TheDGGuy mentioned that Pro Worlds will have exclusive live coverage from DGPlanet.

Should DGPlanet get exclusive rights?
Should DGPlanet get only get exclusive rights to the top card?
Should someone else get live access to our biggest events?

Why shouldn't they get exclusive rights if they took the steps to secure it? Pretty sure Smashboxx had exclusive rights to do live coverage of the Memorial last month. Should they not have had that?

Exclusive rights is how broadcasting generally tends to work. NBC didn't have live coverage of the Masters last weekend because CBS had exclusive rights to the coverage. ABC doesn't cover the World Series live because the rights belong to Fox. Etc, etc, etc.

Why shouldn't they get exclusive rights if they took the steps to secure it? Pretty sure Smashboxx had exclusive rights to do live coverage of the Memorial last month. Should they not have had that?

Exclusive rights is how broadcasting generally tends to work. NBC didn't have live coverage of the Masters last weekend because CBS had exclusive rights to the coverage. ABC doesn't cover the World Series live because the rights belong to Fox. Etc, etc, etc.

Exactly.

Although we all want our "favorite" group to cover all events, I am just happy that we get some quality live coverage.

But are we are not at close to the level of a World Series that is paying millions of dollars. Our sport is based on Social Media and that is what is growing the sport, not a one time showing on the Beach Sport Network.

I'd be interested in knowing how much DGPlanet is paying. Frankly with the size and organizational structure of the PDGA it wouldn't surprise me if there is no money changing hands. DGPlanet got a deal for "the good of the sport"

And DG Guy got live coverage because no one else wanted to do live this year.

Last edited:
Exactly.

Although we all want our "favorite" group to cover all events, I am just happy that we get some quality live coverage.

DGPlanet was not quality coverage. They stopped part way through one round because the ran out of battery life (that is not very professional) and I get really tired of hearing the commentator talk about his party days (during last years College Nats he kept referring to the party and funk band every 5 mins). At Worlds I also HATED that he was continuing to talk during their putts, drives, etc while stand right behind them. When everyone is being told to be quiet that is terrible they are allowed to keep talking.

Much preferred Smashboxx to DGPlanet any day.

They have every right to secure exclusive rights.........I wish they weren't the ones who got it but nothing you can do but pray Crazy has retired

I agree the PDGA has the right to give away the exclusive rights. I just think it would be better if you gave them exclusive rights to the top card only.

Imagine how awesome it would be if you could follow the FPO at worlds or follow the MPO chase card or follow an amazing Swebby vs Climo battle in Masters!

But are we are not at close to the level of a World Series that is paying millions of dollars. Our sport is based on Social Media and that is what is growing the sport, not a one time showing on the Beach Sport Network.

I'd be interested in knowing how much DGPlanet is paying. Frankly with the size and organizational structure of the PDGA it wouldn't surprise me if there is no money changing hands. DGPlanet got a deal for "the good of the sport"

And DG Guy got live coverage because no one else wanted to do live this year.

Gotta start somewhere with rights issues. I realize there's no money in broadcasting now and no one is making a profit, but whether we're talking DGP, Smashboxx, McFly, or whoever might be holding a camera, there is the potential to make money (even if it isn't enough to cover expenses). I think the moment the coverage has a single advertiser underwriting the broadcast (live or on tape), the event should be getting something too. They're providing the actual content after all.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if providing the live coverage was a condition of the PDGA's contribution to DGP and the Beach Sports Network project. Ditto that for the USDGC and Innova's contribution to underwriting the broadcasts. It could be a case where DGP asked for X dollars, and the PDGA said we'll give you X-Y dollars and the rights to cover Worlds. The alternative would be the PDGA gives X then charges Smashboxx Y to be the exclusive provider.

But really, as a consumer, who cares what the deals are? The question is do we get to watch at all? I'd rather watch than not watch, whoever is doing the broadcast. Hell, that's why I watch Monday Night Football when my team is playing...doesn't matter if I loathe ESPN, that's where the game is and I want to see it.

I could honestly care less.

Yes, but how much less can you care? The world needs to know, scarpy. The world needs to know!

They have every right to secure exclusive rights.........I wish they weren't the ones who got it but nothing you can do but pray Crazy has retired

Compared to all the dead air in Terry's Memorial coverage? Not sure I'm down for that. Crazy doesn't bother me as much as most though.

I think the PDGA actually pays DGPTV to broadcast Worlds...
Not 100% sure, but seems like that little tidbit came up in the PDGA's published Budget.
Can anyone confirm?

Yes, but how much less can you care? The world needs to know, scarpy. The world needs to know!
No they don't.

I just wish the people who do care would direct their two cents towards entities that can perhaps do something more than be an outlet for their rants, even if its just getting some questions answered about the relationship between the PDGA and DGP.

I also wonder how many folks who watched the Memorial coverage sent Terry a few bones to defer expenses. Even by our standards, that effort probably wasn't cheap.

I think the PDGA actually pays DGPTV to broadcast Worlds...
Not 100% sure, but seems like that little tidbit came up in the PDGA's published Budget.
Can anyone confirm?

The PDGA helps underwrite DGP (they sponsor the show). That's not a secret. There are PDGA ads and mentions all over their broadcasts. I wouldn't call it expressly paying them to broadcast Worlds though. They're underwriting the production of the television show which obviously includes a lot more than just Worlds.

Like I said upthread though, I wouldn't be surprised if the rights to Worlds were a part of the package. The rights fee the PDGA might charge for Worlds is waived in return for either a lesser fee as an underwriter or a bigger return on their investment...they get the Gold level advertising package for Bronze level cost. Or something like that.

Offering exclusive rights is a good way of creating competition and competition breeds improvement. Smashboxx is going to have to find ways to offer a better package that will entice the PDGA into moving away from their relationship with DG Planet. Likewise, DG Planet is going to have to find ways to improve their product to keep from being passed by Smashboxx.

Hopefully the PDGA is willing to listen to other offers. If they are blindly giving the exclusive rights to DG Planet just because they have been doing it for a longer amount of time, then they are eliminating the element of competition.

Latest posts