• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Environmental impact of sanding discs; biodegradable plastic

Hoi,

many people recommend having some sand paper in the bag to remove little platic spikes or rough edges after tree or rock hits. However, yet I've never heard anyone talk about the environmental impact of this doing. It directly creates micro plastic that is spread into the ground on the course! Ecologically responsible behavior requires to capture all the micro pieces that come off in the sanding process (which will be pretty difficult, as some even float in the air) and insert them into the recycling system. I can hardly imagine how this is achievable in practice on the course. At home it might be possible. I think that we should start looking at these aspects of our sport as well.

I much like Trash Panda's effort (and his videos). This is one important part, that I'd like to see spread.

The other part, which I still miss to be brought into focus, is the biodegradability of the plastic. I understand why it is hardly addressed: we feel pretty helpless in this regard. If my disc hits rough objects, it most likely emits small pieces of plastic into the environment. (Skipping off roads is a horror example.) I cannot avoid this when playing disc golf. If I play with recycled discs this aspect does not go away. There's only one solution: plastic that is biodegradable. We need discs (completely) out of plastic that ``goes away'' automatically after at least less than a human's lifetime. There's no other way, our sport can become ecologically friendly.

Have you heard of discussions on this topic yet? Is it on the PDGA's agenda? Do you think about it? And what do you think about it or how have you changed your behavior in some way?

Among problems in our world this would be dead last. The amount of plastic from sanding your disc or rubs off on the pavement? It's so minuscule on the grand scheme that it's a bizarre thing to even bring up.

Think about plastic this way. It came from the earth. It's not some foreign object design to kill the earth. It is part of the earth.

Try going after Pesticides (Roundup) that are known to cause cancer. Maybe GMO's are bad, try that. How about the Steroids and Antibiotics given to all the food we eat like cows, chickens and turkeys? That could one worse. How about High Fructose Corn Syrup that has cause an obesity epidemic, killed tens if not hundreds of millions from heart disease and diabetes? That seems more important.

WOW. I must be a real slob, as I use a sandblock on my discs about once a month while sitting on my couch watching tv. I don't hold it over a trash receptacle either. I'm a real monster I guess.

I'm watching you.....:thmbdown:

Or...

I do basically the same....

It's been a while since I read about it, but it seemed to me that last i did "biodegradable" plastic just meant that it would break down into micro plastics faster.

I'm guilty of this. I don't carry sandpaper with me, but I'll absolutely use a concrete tee pad to rub off excess flashing. Are you saying I need to rub off at home instead?:|

I'm guilty of this. I don't carry sandpaper with me, but I'll absolutely use a concrete tee pad to rub off excess flashing. Are you saying I need to rub off at home instead?:|

I'm not trying to cause guilt or forbid certain behaviors.

First, one needs to be aware of things, then one can (and should) make responsible decisions for one's own life. There's no one true way. Every way includes compromises.

^Sorry, my post was a joke that might not have translated well. Couldn't think of a non-dirty way to phrase what I wanted to say, so I just leaned into it.

I'm aware that microplastics are a huge issue for our oceans, but do they have the same kind of impact inland?

Pretty much all fish have plastic in them. Not sure what the actual impact is.

When straws became verbotten I wondered if in land plastic contributes to the buildup of plastic in oceans. Certainly if it gets in a stream, it all finds its way to the ocean eventually.

I suppose we could make discs out of keratin. They would shatter pretty easily.

Even walking barefoot is bad. How much new growth is trampled by people walking on them while playing, how much is destroyed/damaged getting hit by discs?

Yes, microplastic is bad. But there are worse things. Let's start with one thing that can be easily taken care of and go from there. Trash. If players would carry a trash bag with them and pick up trash as they play, that would be bigger step to having a healthy planet than worrying about microplastic. Or better yet, if people wouldn't litter in the first place. Resolve that and THEN work on the smaller issues.

Very true. I've also seen footprints scarring golf greens from people walking barefoot.

I'd rather he did it there than some place I might accidentally catch a glimpse........

But think of all the water he'd be wasting...

Do it where you're supposed to: in front of your computer screen. You can never have too many towels from players packs.

But think of all the water he'd be wasting...

Do it where you're supposed to: in front of your computer screen. You can never have too many towels from players packs.

Just make sure if it's during a zoom meeting you have it muted AND the video turned off.

Latest posts