• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Environmental impact of sanding discs; biodegradable plastic

So what is the best grit of sand paper for sanding a disc lightly?

A 80 grit fine to medium all purpose drywall sanding sponge will work fine.
Base plastics will sand down easily. Premium plastics will require more elbow grease.

Many years ago, an old pro told me it was against PDGA rules to sand or alter a disc in any way. I take it that's not the case anymore?
Maybe it should still be a thing

Many years ago, an old pro told me it was against PDGA rules to sand or alter a disc in any way. I take it that's not the case anymore?
Maybe it should still be a thing

813.01 B A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded, or painted with a material of detectable thickness, are illegal...

He was wrong.

Depends on how long ago Mr. Fretz was told that, since prior to 1990, sanding was against the rules:

1986 Rule Book
2.0 Discs Used In Play
2. No modifications of any kind will be allowed that will alter the weight, shape, flight characteristics, or performance of any disc in play, including changes that are made by hand, heat, or any other device.
1990 Rule Book:

802.01 Discs in Play

C. No modifications of any kind will be allowed that will alter the weight, shape, flight characteristics, or performance of any disc in play, including changes that arc [sic] made by hand, heat, or any other device, with this exception: discs may be moderately sanded to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks caused by mormal wear and tear. Excessive sanding will be handled in accordance with sections 802.01 (E and F).

Depends on how long ago Mr. Fretz was told that, since prior to 1990, sanding was against the rules:

1986 Rule Book
2.0 Discs Used In Play
2. No modifications of any kind will be allowed that will alter the weight, shape, flight characteristics, or performance of any disc in play, including changes that are made by hand, heat, or any other device.

1990 Rule Book:
It was not against the rules, no where did it say sanding was against the rules, they were just clarified in 1990.

i don't really think this is a huge issue for the disc golf community

but

i'm also astounded by the ignorance of some of the responses here, joking or not

It was not against the rules, no where did it say sanding was against the rules, they were just clarified in 1990.

Oh, really? Removing material from a disc DOESN"T alter the weight, shape, and flight characteristics?

Latest posts