• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

EPA alters VA course?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I read on the scroll on some cable news channel that the EPA in VA caused a disc golf course to change a bunch of their holes b/c they were too close to a protected creek. Anybody know anything about this?

The point is that "The Man" is trying to oppress us by killing our game!
First Sontag:
... The EPA got involved and several holes had to be moved from the creeks. 10 of the 18 had some kind of change with 5 being brand new, the other 5 either had tee pads moved or baskets moved.
* selectively chooses to omit the rest of the quote that reads "It's still just as AWESOME as it ever was. Still have red, white and blues and all are playable this weekend. It's gonna be HOT and the competition should be too."

Flyboy got RIP'd... Kelley said he has to slow things down and can't accommodate all the traffic, but we really know it's because the FAA forced him to shut it down, and he's just covering for them cuz he's still gotta earn a living flying commercially.

Then Dalaiwood gets closed... after 12 years, it's suddenly in violation of local "zoning statutes."

What next? Is the IRS gonna go after Bill @ Flip for tax evasion cuz he hasn't reported all the $1 donations?

Maybe they'll find a way to shut down Idlewild because it's causing a rectal health epidemic... from kicking everyone's @$$!.

Don't stop me now, I'm on a roll... :p

Last edited:
foil5.jpg

better vote for romney. we can trust that him and his twelve bestest buddies will protect us from the evil government agencies and preserve an america where corporations are free to exploit labor and pollute as the almighty invisible hand of the market dictates.

I have played Sontag over the years since it first opened. Originally the main Eco thing was a small wet land that was marked towards the end of hole 12. The small creek that runs along the fairway was OB. The course has been redesigned due to the regulation changes. This is a post that was put on our local message board to let those of us outside that course area on the upcoming changes at the time:

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:58 pm Post subject: changes to Sontag Course, Franklin County

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been some rumors going round that Sontag is on the choppin blocks! I am writing to dissuade those rumors and get the actual situation out there.

To begin, I am Dan Caston and I manage the course at Ferrum College. I heard this rumor and immediately called Bobby Pruitt, the Parks Planner for Franklin County Parks and Rec. to get the facts straight and offer any assistance that I can.

According to Bobby, there are some new Dept of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and Army Corp of Engineers (ACE) regulations that impact the locations of some of the holes on the course. This is in relation to required buffer zones near landfills and since the upstream boarder of the park is adjacent to the county landfill, they affect the park. Essentially, there cannot be any recreational activity (except hiking trails) within a certain distance of the creaks. There are several holes that are inside this buffer zone and therefore will need to be moved. ONLY MOVED! Holes that will affected include holes 2, 3, & 12 for certain and a few others most likely. If the county does not move these holes, a $100,000 fine will be assessed to the County Parks and Rec Dept. Therefore, the holes will be moved.

Bobby indicated that he has met with Mitch and others that have been involved since the get go to work out a plan. He also indicated that the county values and encourages use of the course and recognizes the use by both county residents and visitors. Again, he assured me that this is only moving a few holes.

I'm taking a positive stance toward this. While it means that a couple of classic holes with disappear, my hope is that the new holes will be of equal if not greater caliber. We certainly have the talent in the area to make this happen! So when work days are posted to implement these changes, let's get out and make it happen as quickly as possible so we can get back to what we love-flinging discs!

Our local club had to pay over 30,000$ for environmental impact studies to keep our course open, so boo hoo.

pdiddy71
Thank you for your local knowledge on the matter. I feel much batter about the changes out there now.
DSCJNKY

You're welcome. They just had a PDGA tournament there this weekend. I plan on going there in a couple of weeks for the Commonwealth games, disc golf event there July 21st. Jeff Peters and guys close to there have put in a lot of volunteer time to get the renovated course ready for this weekend.

There's nothing worse than HOA. Little people with little kingdoms. They suck.