• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eric's bag - help reconstruct it

eric40817

* Ace Member *
I've my bag together just from a few suggestions on my last thread. Now I need to dial it in, find the kinks and work them out.

Putters are set:
2 SSS Wizards - 175g - 1 is approach and off the tee until I get replacement KC Aviar for this, 1 is stictly putts on windier days or if I need a more shot on the basket
1 SS Wizard - 170g - main putter duties

Mids:
Pretty much just a KC Aviar - 180g - I really dont find myself reaching for a mid range too often and when I do this will cover the shot perfectly. Once this one beats in and loses some stability I'll consider adding another for a pair of KCs in different wear.

Fairways: working some differences out here. Not everything is in the bag atm.
-SE Leopard - ???g - straight as an arrow on a slight hyzer line. turn over shots, anhyzer shots that ride out. this one is set in the bag.
-2nd run FD - ???g - 8/10 - pretty stable, straight flyer - just started throwing this one
-Star Teebird PFN - 170g - seasoned up a bit - straight with a little fade
-12x Champ Teebird - 167g - OS lines and OH.
-MVP P Volt - 173 - just started throwing this one in the field tonight. seems like a line shaper, anhyzers that come back at the end. tried flicking some and it seemed to turn over when my other discs did not. probably form.
MVP N Resistor - 167g - hyzers, big skip shots, FH shots and FH flex lines.

Drivers: again, not everything is in the bag at once.
-Pro Valkyrie - 171g - 8/10 - most stable of my valkyries. more fade, less turn. windier days.
-Star Valkyrie - 169g - 7.5/10 flips up on a slight hyzer release - S lines when released flat.
-G* Valkyrie 165g - 9.5/10 least stable of the three. hyzers flips, more turn before fading. Just started throwing this one but I think it'll have its place the more I work with it.
-GL Saint - 165g? - more glide than valk, similar flight - been bouncing between this and the valk, but man does this thing carry on those downhill shots.
-G* Teebird3 - 175g - 9/10 - dead straight on a low line, moderate fade and skips well when called for.
-GL Saint Pro - 167g - 9.9/10 - just threw it a few times tonight - pretty similar to the TB3, maybe a bit more OS. Really just picked this up to compare it to the TB3.
-Z Predator - 173-174g - Flicks, big hyzers, OH shots and thumber rollers.

This is what Im currently working with. What do you guys got to say for me!?

Thanks!

You have lots of drivers! What kinds of courses do you tend to play? Judging by your disc selection, I'd say you stick to long, open courses.

I tend to narrow my disc selection by playing a lot, and if there are lines that I can't get just with technique and good shot selection, I'll look at getting a specific disc to fill the need.

The courses I play most often really vary. Like I said, I don't carry all of them at one time and noted the ones I'm still testing the waters with. Ideally I'd have 2-3 molds for drivers.

My suggestion to you is your bag looks good. Go out and have fun. There was a time all I had was a champ Eagle, a champ orc (both found), a buzzz, and a rpro aviar and I played some of the best golf I have ever played. Long story short I now have 60discs I have tried and still bag a buzzz, orc, or eagle most of the time. Point being if it isn't broke don't fix it.

My bag selection would be:

Putter: Wizards (imo these drive much better than the aviar as well)

Mids: You are going to want one eventually. I used to use my fairway/putter for everything under the sun. Till I realized these really hold a straighter line, dont skip as bad as fairways, ultimately more comfortable in the hand. Now out of all the discs I carry they are almost all mids. You don't sound like you are going to want a lot in the bag so I would get one that the angle needs to be adjusted for diff shots. Prob a buzzz or a vibram ibex.

Drivers:

Leopard
Teebirds
Pred or Resistor
Valks
Volt? possibly

That would clean up the overlap while allowing you to keep the molds you def seem to have confidence in. That would be a perfectly solid bag. It is already solid all I really did was just delete the stuff you arent sure about. I would def consider adding a mid, or at the very least a true driving putter (zone, envy, pure).

What reconstruction advise do you want? If you're happy with what you have, then play away. As far as being driver heavy and wanting to narrow it down, do some field testing and leave the ones out that don't perform to your expectations. Play a few rounds without them and see if you would have needed them. How far are you driving the drivers?

For what it's worth, I carry 2 Valk's and had a Saint. In the end, the Saint wasn't as predictable as the Valk's and I traded it off.

You're mid-range discs are, well, nonexistent. I'd get at least one stable mid Buzzz, Roc, or other company equivalent, gonna need one at some time anyway. I carry 4 mids and would rather give up a driver than anyone of them.

Good luck on what ever you decide and always have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Honestly I just wanted to know from more experience/knowledgeable members, if they saw anything that I could/should change, add, omit, if anything at all. I honestly wasn't sure if my bag would be considered a solid set up or not. Just wanted some general input.
I agree on the mids. I wouldn't mind having more, I just don't often use them, probably because I don't have many not am I too familiar with them. I'll probably a buzz or buzz SS.

Last year was really working on things and I had an eagle, leopard, buzzz and an aviar. Only 4 discs and I progress a lot. Since then I've been adding distance and improving form so I began adding discs.

Distances:
Putters: ~225
Roc ~250
Fairways 250-300
Drivers 300+
Max distance is about 375 on a good day

I don't often pace out, or use the udisc app to track my distances so take the numbers with a grain of salt.

A few suggestions

1. Pick up a mid. I like something stable like a Truth. If you want a little less stable then look at a Buzzz. Start with one mold that's not too over or understable and learn to throw it on a variety of lines.

2. Narrow down your fairways and drivers. Play around with them and pick the ones you like the best. Your fairways and your distance drivers are very similar in distance and are in the same "category" for all practical purposes.

Pick out a few you like best in slots like this:
A. Overstable utility disc - forehands, big headwinds, big early fades, rollers, overhands (Resistor or Predator)
B. Overstable driver - for headwinds, hyzers, fades (Teebird, Teebird3, 2nd run FD, Saint Pro)
C. Slightly understable - for tailwinds, anhyzers, hyzer flips, less fade (Saint, Valkyrie)
D. Understable - hyzer flips (Leopard)

A few suggestions

1. Pick up a mid. I like something stable like a Truth. If you want a little less stable then look at a Buzzz. Start with one mold that's not too over or understable and learn to throw it on a variety of lines.

2. Narrow down your fairways and drivers. Play around with them and pick the ones you like the best. Your fairways and your distance drivers are very similar in distance and are in the same "category" for all practical purposes.

Pick out a few you like best in slots like this:
A. Overstable utility disc - forehands, big headwinds, big early fades, rollers, overhands (Resistor or Predator)
B. Overstable driver - for headwinds, hyzers, fades (Teebird, Teebird3, 2nd run FD, Saint Pro)
C. Slightly understable - for tailwinds, anhyzers, hyzer flips, less fade (Saint, Valkyrie)
D. Understable - hyzer flips (Leopard)

Thanks JT. I think what I need, in regards to your recommendations, is just more time in the field practicing, and throwing what I have. Becoming familiar with it all and selecting what is working best. Unfortunately I cant gear it toward the courses I play because of the 10 local courses I play, I have wide open, completely wooded, short and very hilly, and a combination of them all. I play courses that have a lot of hyzers and courses with a lot of annys. Courses that piss me off, and courses that are a breeze to play lol. Thats right, I live in western MA. :D

The last few times I've played, rather than keep my score, I've been writing down what disc I reach for on each hole. After a little while Ill be able to go through and analyze what I used often, occasionally, and not all.

One thing I have noticed, is that although the Resistor and Predator do overlap, they dont overlap in MY bag. My resistor is used to flick 80% of the time, and skips decently. Backhand 20% of the time it gives me a sweet skip on the finish. My predator on the other hand, flies similar when thrown BH, but does not skip, and when thrown FH, is very predictable and sticks when it lands. Its also been used for a few thumber rollers and tommies, and performs better in these rolls than the resistor... I think this will be my ulility/odd shot disc.

Last edited:
hey, im from MA also. Knowing the courses, id try to add some midrange and take away some of those drivers seems like alot of them would overlap in terms of disc selection. I cant play without mids out here. I use the pain/fuse combo but there are many many options there.

ever try the tesla? Certainly could fill the roll of the resistor but its faster. inertia/impulse are both great carving/anny discs. i throw volts also and love them. been throwing them since they came out. Whats great about the volt is when it fades it penetrates at the same time really well. Some discs just die out when they begin to fade, volt is more gradual fade that keeps penetrating. Great for tight woody lines, when you need some straight distance. id keep working with it. good luck.

hey, im from MA also. Knowing the courses, id try to add some midrange and take away some of those drivers seems like alot of them would overlap in terms of disc selection. I cant play without mids out here. I use the pain/fuse combo but there are many many options there.

ever try the tesla? Certainly could fill the roll of the resistor but its faster. inertia/impulse are both great carving/anny discs. i throw volts also and love them. been throwing them since they came out. Whats great about the volt is when it fades it penetrates at the same time really well. Some discs just die out when they begin to fade, volt is more gradual fade that keeps penetrating. Great for tight woody lines, when you need some straight distance. id keep working with it. good luck.

thanks man. Yea Im working on adding some mids. Looking for a buzzz right now to go with my Roc. Id like to add a few mids and narrow down my drivers to just a 2-3 molds with maybe a couple of plastics or states of wear. Thats what I was going for by having multiple valkyries. Its looking like Ill have 2-3 valkyries ranging from flippy to stable, an OS driver, and Ill probably run with the Leopard or River in the US slot for the fairway and driver duties until I beat in a valk more. From there Ill have a couple fairways, a stable and an OS. I also decided my Predator will be a dedicated utility disc, big hyzers, rollers, etc. With little daylight after work Im hoping this weekend to get a couple hours in the field to dedicate to my drivers. I should have something less cluttered after that.

Where in MA?

I hit the field tonight to do some work figuring out my OS driver slot. It was very productive night, and a big opening as to just how overlap I had.
I was working with:
Champ 12x Teebird
P Volt (newer run)
G* Teebird3
GL Saint Pro
N Resistor
Z Predator

Findings:
Predator - for now, will still be my utility/specialty disc.
Volt - more OS than I had anticipated a Volt being. It is longer than either TB though.
G* Star Teebird3 - feels better in the hand than the Saint Pro. Seems to prefer lower flat lines. Penetrates more than TB.
Saint Pro - Not as good in a headwind as the TB3. Dumps out easier.
12x TB - pretty OS, awesome in a tail wind or thrown on flex shots. Fades harder than the TB3. Undecided if this and TB3 should be both bagged or not.
Resistor - not as long as the rest but still good wind driver, and I flick it better than the others.

Issues to work out:

Comparisons between the TB3, TB and Volt. Right now I could see all three having their place, but I havent thrown them enough in the field to be as comfortable with each as I need to be. They really do overlap and I dont plan on keeping one just for one specific throw that MIGHT come up.
As of now, Im thinking the TB3 with stick around (unless I find that it seasons up in to something different), and it will be a fight between the TB and Volt. The was consistently longer, but its heavier than what I like.

Decisions: Predator and Resistor are locked down.

As an ending sidenote: I threw a few of my US discs. I dont know what Im doing differently but all of a sudden my Amp went from a dookie to moneyyy. My River took my Pro Leopards spot. My Pro Leo replaced one that I lost, and it just wasnt the same. The River is one glidey, straight SOB. And if I want it to, will turn over for a long S ride. This and my star sidewinder will take on the US fairway and distance rolls for now. Not the amp because I need to get more comfortable with it in the field. By that time I'll have beat my sidewinder into a flippy wonder hopefully - its getting there. Also threw my GL Saint against one my Valks. They are literally one in the same. I love them both so Ill keep both and just swap them out with in the mood for one over the other.

I didnt get a chance to throw my 4 various Valks against eachother to figure out which, and how many I want to bag. Thats for another field day. Itll be my Pro, Star and two G Stars (175 vs 167).

^^Im wondering if a TL3 might be a good idea to add somewhere for a neutral flier. I think it could be what I was expecting the Volt to be. HYPOTHETICAL setup for fairways might look something like TB3/TL3/Spec.Ed. Leopard. However, for now, I think the River might close to the TL3 as the River is awfully workable depending on its release.

I would def consider adding a mid, or at the very least a true driving putter (zone, envy, pure).

Just ordered a Pure to try out. After playing around with my set up last night and mulling a lot over, my bag is really starting to closer resemble exactly what you recommended. My problem is that I think I was blinded and overwhelmed by the selections of disc I had on hand that I have thrown and like. Theres nothing wrong with having a few discs that overlap or are very similar, I just dont have to bag them (ie. backups!). Especially the courses I play, losing a disc isnt difficult.
I am going to bag the Volt to beat on a little and see where that goes, but for now, it flies closely to my Teebirds, until it starts to slow and fade. Thats where it becomes its on disc. Like stated, the Volt fades gently and pushes forward some. The teebird says, "nope, Im done", and goes down.

I've also got a G* Leo, G*TL, and a Tern on the way. I like those discs, they may serve as backups, but will mostly be extra discs to take to the field when Im just working on form and not disc selection. If they make the bag, fine. I dont throw speed 12s yet, but I got the Tern just to say I've thrown a Tern... everyone else has!

Had a great round today. Shot one over par (57) which for me is awesome, so I was very pleased. Really glad I took the recommendations to add more mids. Turns out, I like using mids. Who'd of thunk it.

Only problem, my drivers are back on the drawing board. I love and adore my Valkyries, but today I used my seasoned star sidewinder a lot and it was working very well. I actually tried flicking it for s lines or hyzer flips, which I've never bothered trying, and it worked beautifully. I'm kinda starting to think about setting my driver slots up with a few sidewinders - my seasoned star, my new star, and maybe a champ. The just having one valk that is straight straight, and an over stable for wind and hyzer lines. Fml. I might try this, but I have a feeling I may go back to the Valkyries and have a setup of them ranging from Flippy to stable.

Well what I have in my bag isnt a great reference as some discs I bagged were strictly just to try during my rounds. I was throwing a lot of second throws and funzies to try them out.

I'll get a list together in a bit though

ok gather a list of your tentative bag set up then others and me can chime in on the updated set up

Ok right now this is bag which includes discs that are considered "locked in", "bagged" and going through trials.

Putters:
SSS wizard
SS wizard

Driving putters:
Neutron Ion
ESP Zone - utility work, high winds. Just started doing different types of rollers for get out of trouble shots and sharp corners I couldn't make by throwing or thru tight thick trees.

Mids:
Tourny Tursas - New. Dead straight when powdered down, slight turn to straight finish on power throws.

MVP Axis - neutral flight no matter the power.

X-comet - similar to the axis flight. Really just throwing both see which one feels better in the hand.

Kc pro roc. OS roc duties. It's starting to straighten out and lose the big fade so I might add another fresh one soon.

Fairways:
SE leopard: turns over every time, finesse annys
GL River: straight lines, barely a fade. Big sweeping annys. Longer than the leo.
Champ teebird: hyzers, straight to hard fade, flex shots, FH rollers
Proton Volt: a little longer than the teebird, straighter, forward fade and skips.
Neutron Resistor: flicks

Drivers:
Star sidewinder: flippy, turnovers, FH hyzer flips.
Neutron amp: US. Pretty good turn before fading back if I get good snap on it. Carrying this to try to get more consistent with snap. It's been a good tool more than a bagged disc. I could see this making the bag when my SW beats in more.
3 Valkyries, US to stable - pro, seasoned star, new g* The g* is max weight, I prefer lighter discs so I'm going to try to trade this one in.
Teebird3: stable to OS.
Stag: OS. Only thrown it once but it seems pretty OS.
Predator: my utility driver, thumber rollers, tommies over obstacles.

Well I think that's everything I'm working with and trying out right now.

putters look good. eventually you could minimize to just one mold, and keep the zone for high winds.

mids looks pretty good too actually. i wish i could sneak by with only 3. haha. also good call on the potential cycle of the roc.

fairways. might be able to slim down by choosing either leo or rvr.

and still driver heavy it looks like. probably still figuring out what works? you could do the 3 valks especially in different plastics. dont be afriad of dx either. they last longer than anyone gives them credit for. ive seen people bomb 400+ with a beat to hell dx teebird. tb3 and stag are tweeners, im against tweeners for the most part so i wont comment on them. if you can see a noticeable difference between them and your fairways keep em i guess. and pred is a great OS/utility/windy day disc.

sorry i forget if your lookin to mold minimize. so thats what i did. if you arent disregard everything i said completely haha

Latest posts