• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eugene OR Y GUN

Oregon_Nole

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Alright guys, next month, a buddy and I are going on a road trip and we're gonna hit up Whistler's Bend and Dexter, I love both those courses, so I'm pretty stoked to be getting back there.

But, we have a window to play a new course on our way from Whistler's to Dexter, and I can't decide between Cottage Grove or Alton Baker.

So here are some of my concerns/preferences, and those that have played both can tell which course will best fit my criteria:

1) I'll probably have my dog with me, so it must be pet friendly

2) I like more secluded courses, I'm not looking to interact with non-DG park users

3) I'm not a huge fan of crowds (surprise, surprise).

4) My car will have some camping crap in it, nothing too valuable, but I'd prefer not to have my crap broken in to...

And more specific to each course:

Alton Baker seems a little too flat, somewhat similar hole lengths, and in a popular park which increases the chance for crowds and non-DG user interaction.

Cottage Grove seems to be real close to the highway and sewage treatment.

Given all this, where should I go.

And please don't say both, we only really have time to try one as we'd like to maximize our time at Whistler's and Dexter.

Hmmm I just got done playing Alton Baker. I thought for what they had. They made a very solid course! It was one of the very few courses that had a good combo of holes. Hyzer and Anhyzer were pretty equal and you don't see that to often. Funny thing was, the dead straight holes were the tuffest for me. They had a nice mix of tunnel, low hanging trees and a few wide open holes, but they trick ya. Any tall grass is O.B. They even had islands of tall grass in the fairway. All teepads were in good shape and the signage is very good, but pay attention to them, because you walk by a few teepads to get to the next hole. I played a few wrong holes, but that was all my fault. Crowds were so, so. It's in apart of the park that doesn't have much foot traffic and there are plenty of signs tellling the non golfers that they might want to walk some place else. Also it is pay to play, well kind of. When I was there the course director was not there for the entire day. So no $4 bucks for him. I even tried the next day, but no sign of him?
Cottage Grove was cool to, but if I had to pick. It would be Alton Baker. When I played it it was brand new, so it was a bit ruff. If we didn't hook up with a local. It would have been a safari round. The freeway noise and the smell were also deal breakers! However. they had a nice sellection of shots and the ellevation changes. They also had much longer holes than Alton. Alton Baker is your best shot at worry free disc golf, because if the course manager is there. He'll keep an eye on things. Well good luck and have a great time!

Hey, thanks for the response.

For as informative as it was, its just further confusing and conflicting me. In my mind, if either a) the freeway wasn't RIGHT there or b) the sewage treatment plant wasn't RIGHT there, I'd pick Cottage Grove easily.

Damn.....

Thanks again

Hi Oregon_Nole,

The first question I have regarding choosing is how much do you want to make use of spotters? Or put another way, how important is it not to potentially lose plastic? The Grove has one blind shot (hole 12) that I personally would recommend a spotter on, and the rough on a few holes (particularly hole 10) can swallow discs (especially for lefty backhand throwers). :p Alton Baker has been recently mowed in its entirety, so there's no (long grass) rough really anywhere on the course. I can't verify which pin positions Alton Baker will be in when you would be there, but I do happen to know that quite a number of basket sleeves were damaged during the recent City mowing, particularly the mid-length placements. So the course is very likely to either be in mostly all-longs or all-shorts for a while (until those get repaired/replaced). The all-longs layout is ~5800ft., or roughly what you'd find in a typical Grove layout. The all-shorts, though, is ~4300ft.. definitely more of a putter course, although still with some neat technical tunnel shots and such.

I personally rated the two courses equally (3.5 discs).. with the Grove scoring better on length and technicality, and Alton Baker scoring better on upkeep and amenities. The highway, by the way, is actually back enough away from the course as to not really affect the course much at all.. it's not really noisy, for example.

Edit: the smell at the Grove from the waste treatment plant isn't really noticeable most of the year.. but in the heat of Summer it can be.. fragrant.. although it really only affects holes 2,3,17 and 18.

Does that help at all? :)

Last edited:
I agree with Jeverett. You can play Alton Baker in about an hour and some change. Alton Baker is also very flat and not terribly technical. I think you would probably enjoy the Grove more if you like courses like Dexter.

Thanks guys for the responses.

From your guys' descriptions, I'm pretty much sure I'm gonna go to Cottage Grove. I don't really mind blind holes or rough.

So, assuming it's a normal, sunny late June Tuesday afternoon, what can I expect in terms of crowds?

Also, is the map link on its page on this website good enough to navigate the course, or should we creep around the first tee till we can find a local to join up with?

Thanks guys for the responses.

From your guys' descriptions, I'm pretty much sure I'm gonna go to Cottage Grove. I don't really mind blind holes or rough.

So, assuming it's a normal, sunny late June Tuesday afternoon, what can I expect in terms of crowds?

Also, is the map link on its page on this website good enough to navigate the course, or should we creep around the first tee till we can find a local to join up with?
Crowds shouldn't be a issue there. At most you might wait on a tee pad for a minute. The course is pretty easy to navigate, with the exception of hole 4. After you hole out of 4, you have to walk backwards and to the left. It can get confusing if you've never payed it before as hole 10 looks like the next hole you should play. If you want, you can shoot me a PM when you're making the trip and I can come play course guide for you.

Nice, thanks for that offer PC!

So long as you don't mind playing with a couple dogs and 3 or 4 dudes of varying abilities.....

Right on.

As of now, we're planing on going down to Whistlers Bend on Monday, the 24th, camping there, then on Tuesday, probably playing mid-morning there before we head north, so I'll estimate we'll be getting into Cottage Grove around 4 or so.

So you, or any other Eugene area DGCRers are more than welcome to show us around...

Latest posts