• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever had a run in with Law Enforcement on the course

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
This video I found of Cubby getting stopped by the police for playing at 2am made me wonder if anyone else has encountered the law while one the course, or going to or coming from the course? Ever had an officer ask" whats in the bag"?

By the way, here is the Cubby video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B2sFD_koCg

Never had a run in with law enforcement but as I was traveling to visit my parents, they wanted to take a second look at my DG Bag that I carried on the plane when I was going through security.

Only been confronted while playing an object course on "private" property in an abandoned gravel pit. I see cops at courses all the time but they havnt messed with me yet.

Once we got pulled over coming home from El Dorado (Long Bch., CA) by La Palma PD. Thay are all idiots that are too young to have a clue. The town is small so they have nothing better to do. We were clean, so no big.

Another time (15 yrs ago), at Twila Reid Park (Anaheim, CA) we were playing a round of doubles with some guys from outta town (met them there when me and my friend were working on a 100+ hole day). It was like 11:30 at night (the course has lights and a lot of fun for night golf), and we were having fun (me and my buddy were cuz we were pounding there asses and I think they were on Meth). Anaheim PD rolls into the parking lot, shines lights on us. So, I tell the guys, "Let's go see what they want."(the tweakers stay back). We roll over to the see what they wanted. They ask what the heck we are doing playing DG at almost midnight. I tell them about our 100 hole goal and that we had played 3 other courses. One of the officers asked what hole we were on and it was like 97ish or something. So, they say, "Go for it, just don't be loud....and are you drinkin' in the park." I told we weren't boozing, they tell us to have fun and good luck. Way cool cops!!!

That is an example of the differences in OC PDs from city to city. Hunt. Bch cops are douches as well, so watch out while playing in Surf City. They have cops on bikes running through the course and hiding around "smoke holes" sometimes

Last edited:
There's undercover and duty officers at Baker Farm for the whole summer few years ago. They were trying to crack down underage drinking on the course that time. You can see two officers wearing blue polo with white printed badge stamp on the left chest. Like bicycle officers could wear. They first played badly in the beginning of the summer but got better later on...Damn, they're playing and get paid to learn new game!!

Of course, there's always suspicion reactions at the airport security due to the fact the X-ray machine cannot really penetrate through the plastic discs quite well. Therefore, they will have to ask us to open the bag and show them the new meaning of disc golf...

Last edited:
There's undercover and duty officers at Baker Farm for the whole summer few years ago. They were trying to crack down underage drinking on the course that time. You can see two officers wearing blue polo with white printed badge stamp on the left chest. Like bicycle officers could wear. They first played badly in the beginning of the summer but got better later on...Damn, they're playing and get paid to learn new game!!

Of course, there's always suspicion reactions at the airport security due to the fact the X-ray machine cannot really penetrate through the plastic discs quite well. Therefore, they will have to ask us to open the bag and show them the new meaning of disc golf...

First of all I would so become a police officer if I got the job of patrolling DG courses. I might get fired for playing too much DG but it would be a good run while it lasted.

As for airport security it was rather funny. The guy just took it and rescanned it, never opened it, just rescanned it.

we have a LOT of high school kids hang out at Hoover which is home to Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC. So park rangers make regular rounds and I've heard bike cops roll around but have yet to see any.

I've never had any run ins. Kind of waiting for one since I not only play night Disc but go out there at like 12-2 in the morning lol.

When I was young and played glow rounds after park hours a lot, I had to make several mad dashes away from flashlight-yielding officials of some sort, be it of the Park Ranger or Law Enforcement variety. Usually you could see them coming, but they stealthed us one night and didn't turn on the flashlights until they were right next to us. I had to leave my drive behind, and the disc had my name and number in it. Either the Cops didn't find it or they thought it was no big deal, becasue I never heard anything from it.

I got hassled badly by a Park Ranger at Quail Ridge Park once. I parked kinda cockeyed, and he pulled in behind me and gave me a bunch of grief. In the end he let me go play and didn't have me re-park the car, so I was never quite sure what his problem was. He was pretty over the top. He searched my bag, which was probably where he thought he was going to hit the jackpot. He found my cell phone and some gum.

We got tickets for being in the park after hours and had to pour out our beers one time becasue we were playing whiffleball in the parking lot after league was over.

I didn't have a problem, but this happened one day at Watson Trail Park. In the original course design, you shot out of the woods on #6 into an open field. Once you were in the field, you could see the back of a building. The building was the Sunset Hill Police station. We were playing behind a group of guys that were taking all day, so we got to the tee while they were still teeing off. I guess they didn't know what the building was, becasue somebody lit a joint and passed it while they were in that field. A minute later a bunch of cops came out and started walking toward them, and these guys scattered and ran. The cops took off chasing after them and caught a few of them. The guy I was shooting with suddenly said he had to go and took off as well, so I guess he had something on him. Within five minutes I went from playing with a buddy stuck on a backed-up course to being completely alone on an empty course.

There have been probably two dozen times when I got kicked out of the park at closing time by the Ranger. That really shouldn't count, but I thought I'd throw that in there as well.

Other than that, I've had no problems. :D

I didn't have a problem, but this happened one day at Watson Trail Park. In the original course design, you shot out of the woods on #6 into an open field. Once you were in the field, you could see the back of a building. The building was the Sunset Hill Police station. We were playing behind a group of guys that were taking all day, so we got to the tee while they were still teeing off. I guess they didn't know what the building was, becasue somebody lit a joint and passed it while they were in that field. A minute later a bunch of cops came out and started walking toward them, and these guys scattered and ran. The cops took off chasing after them and caught a few of them. The guy I was shooting with suddenly said he had to go and took off as well, so I guess he had something on him. Within five minutes I went from playing with a buddy stuck on a backed-up course to being completely alone on an empty course.

ROFL thats hilarious to visualize.

Well first of all, whats up with the 15 second police response, you cant get that if you shoot someone who breaks in your house. Second of all, this video makes me think this guy is even more full of it, everything seems so set up! Anyways, yes at old Shawnee park here, years ago, they used to ride around on bikes and pop people drinking at the course, along with other things. But I have seena couple of guys get drinking in public tickets from Plano police. That really funny because the locals that play there now are not as secret as we were about it and it seems they dont care now, so I dont know maybe a change in the times. At Will Rogers in OKC, there is a state trooper shack right across the street from te front 9 and they dont seem to care as long as your not actin a fool! Now thats nice.

I've never been stopped on the course but one time I did see a patrol cruiser rolling down the sidewalk in the middle of Greenway (Beaverton, OR), it was pretty strange to see any vehicle driving through the middle of a park let alone a cop. A buddy told me once he was playing Milo McIver and he asked a random golfer if he wanted to "partake", the player responded "well actually Im an off duty officer but if you guys want to just keep it away from me". They said he was cool about it but they still didnt light up, playing the next 27 long holes with the guy!

When I was young and played glow rounds after park hours a lot, I had to make several mad dashes away from flashlight-yielding officials of some sort, be it of the Park Ranger or Law Enforcement variety.

Were you wasted or on probation? Or are cops really that bad in your area? If a cop stopped me while golfing I would have a chat with them, since I figure they probably think we are just a bunch of new age hippies throwing frisbees around...

While at the course in Brighton, CO I was playing with a friend. We had finished up the 9 holes and we were putting some discs at the basket for hole 1. No one else was around that day because the course was still real new. I heard some shouting coming from the other side of the park. We looked up to see three cop cars driving in the park chasing after a teenage kid. He was running trying to get away from the cops. He got as far as the creek and realized he could not go any further. The police did not hesitate to take their chance and busting him hard right on the tee pad for hole 2. we finished up our putting practice and tried to leave. One of the cop cars was blocking my truck. Had to make him move.

Never had any run ins of my own, and I have not seen any other cops at any courses.

Were you wasted or on probation? Or are cops really that bad in your area? If a cop stopped me while golfing I would have a chat with them, since I figure they probably think we are just a bunch of new age hippies throwing frisbees around...

I kind of assumed he was talking young, like under 18 and breaking curfew. I've run from cops when I was younger and the only thing I was doing wrong was being outside in the middle of the night. But if you know the area it can seem like a better idea than trying to explain to a cop why you're out and then explain to your parents why a cop is bringing you home.

No personal run ins but I did witness four guys get busted after passing around a foot tall bubbler on the course. Apparently someone made a complaint that they had a bong on the course.

No personal run ins but I did witness four guys get busted after passing around a foot tall bubbler on the course. Apparently someone made a complaint that they had a bong on the course.
:eek: I've seen blatant smoking on courses around my area but damn nothing like that.

That is beyond stupid of them. I'm shocked that not one but four people thought that would be a good idea.

When I was young and played glow rounds after park hours a lot, I had to make several mad dashes away from flashlight-yielding officials of some sort, be it of the Park Ranger or Law Enforcement variety.

Neither. I was well over 18 as well. I worked in the parks and recreation field. It's kind of a no-no to get a ticket for being in a park after hours when you are a Recreation Supervisor. The ticket I got for playing whiffleball made my boss all sorts of mad.

As far as chatting with the Cops...if you are in a urban or suburban park after hours, the Cops most likely will assume you are scoring dope or looking to score with a male prostitute. They might think you are a new age Frisbee hippie, but they most likely will also assume that you are a gay meth-head new age Frisbee hippie. That kinda diminishes their interest in "chatting."