• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever walked off the course before?

Was about to walk off a practice round once, but decided to stay and see if I could get any productivity out of some putting practice. When even that was failing me, I started heading to the car. In the parking lot, I ran into an 80 year old man and his wife about to head out to the course. After chatting with them for a minute, I decided to throw a round with them and give them a few pointers. Made a few great friends that day that I still run into from time to time. It was also a great mental reset for me!

Only quit once due to lightning. By the time we got back to the parking lot and stood around for a minute under a nearby gazebo, the storm had blown through and we went back and finished. I have had a few rounds that tempted me to pack it in for the day due to either the conditions or my play but, so far, have been able to soldier on.

I have the luxury of having two very nice courses within 10 minutes of work, and have to take an hour lunch by rule, so either of the two courses are a go-to spot for me on many days. Both courses are at least 21 holes of decent length, and 40 minutes (usually the time I actually have) is enough for me to get through 12 to 18 holes, depending on how crowded the course happens to be. So, I guess, you could say I do this several times a week, because I'm never going to make it through either entire course during lunch.

But, if you don't count that (I don't!), I've only ever straight up walked off in the middle of a round due to poor play once, and felt like I cheated myself for days afterward (was in college then, had no car, and the nearest course was a good bike ride away), so I said "never again".

Weather is another story though - I won't hesitate to book it to the car if a round starts with decent weather, and it's pouring or there's lightning by hole 7. Poor course conditions are a "skip individual unplayable holes" deal to me.

The worse my round goes, the more I want to keep going, either to get redemption or see if I can work out the kinks.

Sometimes I will play casually by myself and walk off because I just am not having fun that particular day for whatever reason or another.

I walk off the course all the time when I'm playing solo. Some days I'm just not feeling it and would rather use my time for other things, so I bail.

I usually only do this on my home course because the time investment in getting there is only about 15 minutes round trip, and the course itself is pretty wide open and boring, so if I'm having an off day, the course isn't appealing enough to keep me going.

When I was a newb there were a couple of rounds where I seriously considered just throwing my bag into the pond & walking away. It was just so frustrating to have a shot in mind, but not being able to execute. Just have to stick with it.
Every once in a while, it does help to put the bag down & give yourself a break from discing.

I think you hit the nail on the head about frustration early on in one's disc golf career. When I was relatively new to the sport, there were definitely times I got frustrated, but would mostly try to look at those as opportunities to solve a problem. I'd try to clear my head and think logically. Basically, this is what's not working. My theories for why it's not working are A, B, and C. Then I'd get in some practice throws at the field or course to try and narrow down which solution helps the most. Most of the time that would work, and every once in a while there'd be a eureka moment where I discovered a HUGE solution to an issue I had. Those always feel good.

Ironically, the shot that started this thread (throwing the only putter I bagged into a pond) ended up being a blessing in disguise. I fell back to my original KC Aviar today, and it turns out I putt much better with it than I ever did with my Yeti Pro. I guess I'm glad I cut it short after all.

2 Lost Disc Rule

I have never quit a round out of frustration, probably because I set my expectations so low, but I do impose an arbitrary '2 Lost Disc' rule.

My home course is less than a month old and is still quite 'raw'. Even 950+ folks can spend an inordinate amount of time searching for discs that only missed by a fraction. Since I generally only carry 4 discs, if I lose 2 in a round I pack it up, cut my losses, and find something else to do. :eek:

...throwing the only putter I bagged into a pond...

Glad it worked out for you.

The 2nd time I ever played, using my brand new Innova starter set, I threw my Aviar into the drink on # 12. Finished the last six putting with the Shark. My results weren't great, but I learned that 'it's the archer, not the arrow' early on. While I prefer the right tool for the job, improvisation has a place for me.

Ironically, the shot that started this thread (throwing the only putter I bagged into a pond) ended up being a blessing in disguise. I fell back to my original KC Aviar today, and it turns out I putt much better with it than I ever did with my Yeti Pro. I guess I'm glad I cut it short after all.

Exactly! Sometimes losing a beloved disc is actually a blessing in disguise, natures way of telling you something's wrong. Wait, I feel a song coming on.

Springhill Hobbit in Mobile isn't the hardest course on Earth but it's a formidable one in Mobile. I played it dozens of times while I lived there and definitely walked away from a couple rounds. Still my favorite course though.

Already posted, but 2 situations came to mind later where I almost caved and walked off.

1) 2 years ago playing LHFH for 99% of my shots. I had dialed in my local course to a specific set of throws so well that I basically had a 1 or 2 shot deviation over the course of like 20 rounds. In other words, I knew my pace. If I got to hole 6 and I wasn't on that pace....."well, there goes the chance for a record round today....". Had lots of frustrating starts to rounds where I really wanted to just pack it in.

2) Last week. PBokor mentions a "2 disc lost" rule above. I get to a course I'm trying to fit in at lunch before the rain hits (playing solo and fast). It's a long, generous, wide open course, and I'm looking forward to letting loose (LHBH in development). First two holes are great. Step up to hole 3: River into the pond. Wraith into the pond. The only two discs I really drive with. I had 15.5 holes left to play, where I needed 10+ long drives. Reeeeeal close to walking off there.

Never quit on a round where I was keeping score; if a non-scored practice round, I often cut it short for various reasons - real round is about to begin, weather, time, etc.

I have, already twice this year, driven into a parking lot of a course and then just left without playing at all.

Never walked off in the middle of a tag round, league round, tournament round etc. Practice rounds or family outings at the golf course are different - sometimes you just can't get it all in or intend to play 18 but a certain 5 y/o little boy just can't seem to find the energy to walk anymore...and I remember one of those rounds I was -7 after 9 and could have set a PB on that course...

One year in an Ice Bowl event I did leave between rounds. I wasn't having fun, just a bad day, and I was freezing cold. Nothing was actually on the line since it's a charity event anyway so I just called it a day.

Walked off a few times because of league unregistered with the city takes over my local course on sundays. They shot gun start and none of the groups will let you play through. Great way to ruin a Sunday afternoon for all the other groups out there! :)

solo rounds only, for a variety of reasons: mosquito clouds, tweaked shoulder, hungry, no lighter, etc. Bad play not so much, I'm always convinced I'm going to turn it around and pure the next shot(and always disappointed when I don't)

I have quit two courses because of there being no maps/tee signs/tee boxes, etc to let me know where I was supposed to go. I cannot stress enough to people designing courses, you have to treat the course like you have never been there before. A marker at the basket pointing to the next teepad and tee signs that tell you what you need to know. Not just Par 3, 425 ft.

Walked off a few times because of league unregistered with the city takes over my local course on sundays. They shot gun start and none of the groups will let you play through. Great way to ruin a Sunday afternoon for all the other groups out there! :)

Were you the one at lakewood while the league was doing ctp?

i wasn't there, myself. There had been talk amongst league-goers.

I should clarify my earlier post, too. I'll walk off on casual rounds.

NEVER a league or bag tag or tournament round unless it's a health or safety issue or something seriously important.

Never quit during tournament, league, or casual play. NEVER.

It would take a severe injury to get me to stop. Phone is off, so family emergency isn't possible either.

I don't leave baseball, basketball, or any other sporting event that I'm watch early either.

Even when I play online Spades and my partner is a loser or quits, I stay 'til the end.

Just don't comprehend quitting.

Latest posts