• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Haven't been behind a keyboard much the past 4 years. Miss the forums and old marketplace days. Different job and maybe sit behind a desk once a month now. But, the course is coming along great :)

Man, this thread needs some new blood and a new dream to start....

Is this blood new (young) enough for you? In the second pic he's crossing over the bridge he helped build. We used scrap pallet lumber from work and some 4x4's that we had laying around.

Our course is nothing compared to yours, but this wooded tunnel hole makes for good practice hitting your line . . .

picture.php

picture.php

That looks awesome Dan.

Also reminds me that I still need to finish one of the bridges on hole 5.

I also need to build a bridge to cross a moat I put in on the front side of my island green. With snow currently on the ground I'm going to be sad come spring when I can't get across due to the melt runoff. I'm excited to see if my efforts to contain runoff work. Used to have a muddy mess in the spring when it just dispersed all over.

I've been following this thread for what seems like forever and now I'm finally able to share my own course that's in progress. I've got the first six holes laid out, but hole 5 is the most complete one right now. If I did this right, there should be a couple of pics attached that show the view from the tee and a close up of the slope that the basket is on. I paced this out at 200 feet but when I use the laser rangefinder I'll have a more accurate distance. It's an up hill shot the whole way.

Attachments

• From the tee.jpg
    From the tee.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Up close.jpg
    Up close.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 37
And to give certain people a chance to share some wisdom they've gained in the past few years.

Im shocked someone hasnt put the effort into making an official 'Dream Team' or 'Team BTD' or something, the most exclusive team in DG. You have to be a course owner.

Hoping to start a big fundraiser, push to get the extra 9 baskets to complete our dream. Convert the 3 holes in the front, to become part of 'the granite flat 9', then move 3 baskets to the big course, finally completing 3 holes out the back we designed years ago...2 par 4s and the monster par 5 referred to as 'eagles nest' for the past few years.

Seriously could be one of the most epic holes anyone has ever seen, elevated tee, through a valley, along a rocky ledge, past an amazing climbing tree, through a fir tree forest, into an open field out of nowhere, with the basket placed at the back.

I have looked over a property that my parents own and if they get to live in the house soon instead of renting it out I could fit 3 baskets on the property for a course. I would use the Grow the Sport 2.0 full sized basket probably the black. $200 is about what I want for max on each basket and the Grow The Sport come in at $179-$180 plus are quality as baskets found on a full course.

they would need replacing in 3-5 years

I don't think those baskets are that bad, Maybe the chains would need Replacing but I do not think the whole basket would need replacing in that short of time. I am taking the full on baskets that Disc Store sells not the portable all metal baskets that people say online on the site are bad for even a temporary course. The two main spots to buy the baskets from. The company has upgraded the basket from the old model that I have seen on courses on this site failing due to the bottom disc cage.

https://www.discstore.com/discgolf/basket/basket-growthesport-2-0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VZQ573...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Last edited:
I know discstore very well, I don't think I'd keep those baskets outside all year round.

I can always then get a Lightning DB-5. I said $200 was the top end. The Lighting DB-5 catch okay if you only have the one set of chains on them. I have seen those baskets used at parks working very well for a long time. Those Lighting DB-5 sell for $200. I can always spray pain the very top part of pole that is above the chains and the chain top holder a obvious non used color to help with visibility.

I can also add some spray on clear topcoat to the Discstore baskets if that is the case but they seem to have a thin disc cage to the basket, the one part I was worried about on the basket upon further inspection. I know the chains would be another big concern as the site did not say they were galvanized or stainless steel.

DB5 is a good basket. First basket I ever bought and adding inner chains was easy. It's been outside year round since 2008. Still looks great. No rust. Galvanized is the way to go.

DB5 is a good basket. First basket I ever bought and adding inner chains was easy. It's been outside year round since 2008. Still looks great. No rust. Galvanized is the way to go.

Yeah the local course Steamboat in Pierre (pronounced Pier) South Dakota I helped in the process to make at age 17 (I carried the DGA fabric basket around for testing) is DB-5 for all but the tops from old Mach III in 2013-2014 that were from Oahe Downstream State Park/Rec Area from the Powerhouse Ally Course. Before that the local club had added chains to the existing ring used for the outer set and pinched the S hook closed to keep people from taking the inner chain for own use as easy and to prevent movement to the top as in vary hard putts knocking off the added chains. The baskets at Steamboat have survived a flood on the Missouri river in 2011 and have been outside since 2007. The Mach III part that was not covered the lower disc cage and the lower section of pole below the chain part did not survive the flood them where as the DB-5 is still the orginal basket minus the top chain section from those old Mach III as the whole chain/top part got saved via trash bags.

I do not know why I thought I could skimp on the baskets :\. It is only 3 baskets anyhow so to step up and spend $20 more per basket is fine. I know I would not get the Dynamic Discs basket that is $200 as that basket needs to have chains replaced as they did not use galvanized chains just ones with the zinc coating to them.

Last edited:
I guess shipping is $45 but on the Gotta Go Gotta throw site they have some Lighting DB-5 $179 baskets that are used.
I hope they are still there when I go to get the baskets in a few years.

Last edited:
I just said "F it" and put our actual address in the course info. We have a goofy address that has caused me a lot of headaches every damn time I have an open day because people's phones give them crappy directions.

Previously I had the coordinates for the closest exit ramp on I-71 and would give folks directions when they contacted me.

I really, really don't want unannounced/unplanned for visitors so here's to hoping people understand how reservations work.

Latest posts