• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Exercises to balance right/left?

Waddball

Par Member
I tend to throw RHBH, and far fewer RHFH. But I throw nothing left handed, and I feel the asymmetry of my muscles, joints, etc. all accommodating this. It may be psychosomatic, but I'm beginning to actually feel somewhat lopsided.

What are some good "counter" exercises and stretches to work the opposite side of my body in similar patterns?

I'm sure one answer is to throw LHBH, but...I've tried it and while I'm not opposed to working on it further, it's very, very far from a mirror image of my RHBH. So I guess I'm looking for something that doesn't require true ambidexterity (or maybe that builds toward that).

I don't know how much the DG throws actually cause asymmetry, but I also had some serious asymmetric weakness before I started. You could check out the hip exercises thread for various ideas.

I do a lot of one leg lifts, kettlebell swings that recruit a similar kinetic chain to DG, and plyos now just to help my overall strength and coordination on each side. Might just be specific to me, but my lower body was in really bad shape overall during the lockdown so doing these more dynamic exercises really helped develop symmetric coordination, control, and strength. Like all exercises, slow and steady if you go that route and aren't used to the movements :)

You can try the previous suggestions too, they might be more fun.

I've come across the website Posture Direct recently which reiterates a lot of the exercises recieved from PT over the years. The design of the site and "free ebook!" made me skeptical, but it's all pretty common pt advice.

Most of these are stretches, focused on the hips and lower back. I also find strengthen exercises using Therabands to be very helpful for working smaller muscles in the core and hips. But doing them regularly can help keep your "mid area" balanced.

Googling the type of exercise you're interesting and appending "golf" will return some better results, too. Like it lead me to this: https://www.mytpi.com/exercises

There is a section on balancing the body in Tim Ferris's Four Hour Body. It's worth at least skimming. He had a couple of cable row body exercises that target that, but also IIRC he gave the references for a couple of trainers that specialize in trying to develop bilateral symmetry to avoid athletic injuries. Available at most libraries.

as dumb as this sounds.
I have to re-teach a guy to throw, cause he keeps hurting himself cause he wants to muscle

Well, I think I'm going to teach myself to throw left handed with the pendulum style to make sure I can really learn the lessons needed myself to teach it better.