• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Expected drive distance

BreezyRider

I'm 70 years old and have been trying to enter the disc golf community for the past few weeks. I'm fairly athletic and in great physical condition for my age. What distance should I be able to throw backhanded from a fixed stance? Thanks in advance.

With good health and practice, I would think you could throw over 190 feet backhand from a fixed stance.

My dad is nowhere near 70 (51), so I assume in 20 years his distance will likely decrease. But for reference he can push 350+ from a standstill with a 150ish blizzard boss.

eezyRider;2884611]I'm 70 years old and have been trying to enter the disc golf community for the past few weeks. I'm fairly athletic and in great physical condition for my age. What distance should I be able to throw backhanded from a fixed stance? Thanks in advance.

Do you mean now, or are you asking about your physical potential? Too many variables to say what it should be now, but as for potential, what percentage of strength, dexterity, and flexibikity have you lost? Subtract that from 400 feet and that might give you a ballpark estimate, I'd guess--though I'm just speculating. Cheers!

Hard to say, as was said lots of variables. But 300+ should be expected with clean/snappy form, and not with super high speed discs even. Form analysis/help section can help out for improvement as well.

I have to think that approaching 300' is entirely possible and likely. I have seen folks throw almost effortless that far and farther. It isn't a demand of this sport that you put a ton of power into it... some of us do and wind up with injuries but it isn't necessary. Achieving that form and distance is another matter that requires something naturally there or lots of practice.

I've played with a couple of guys in their late 60's who can throw 300ft consistently. They've been playing a long time though.
But with some practice and being in good shape, I see no reason you can't get close.

O65 distance record is little more then 485 feet by Snap Conger.

But then you get to O75 and the distance record drops to little more then 252 feet.

Go for the record!

As in ball golf good form and flexibility play a very important role in achieving good distance. I've seen twiggy little teens and ladies throw at least 300' seemingly with little effort. As we mature flexibility or loss there of will be the real distance killer.

So keep working on your form and stretch to stay as flexible as possibly and you should be able to do the same I think.

I would say throws of 230-250 feet would be pretty awesome at 70.

There's a local guy who plays (who is about 70) with our league who hits 250-300 regularly. It took him some work, but I think that's attainable with the right discs. He throws Starlite Sidewinders a lot.

Should have read that more closely. Probably more like 200' once you get your form decent.

I'm gonna say 150 feet. In my opinion, that would be good, attainable distance for a fixed stance throw at 70.

A local 72 yr old guy throws about 280' routinely RHFH, and he has hit 300' at times (he takes one step). Stay active and with some practice 300' should be very attainable.

Last edited:
I'm 62 and the absolute max distance I can get is a little over 325' But my general average course distance is somewhere around 275-300'. And that's FH with a run up. I have a friend who is 72 and using his Wraith he gets similar distance to me with his BH. Again with a run up. He's been playing over 20 years, me a little over 8.

Unless its really windy I'd suggest a 150g Leopard or a 150g Jade as potential max distance discs as you improve your throwing technique. I have a horrible form and many aged, broken body parts so my max distance standing still throwing a well seasoned 150 Champion Leopard or a Jade is around 200'.

Of course distance is important, but think controlled accuracy. Two well placed shots and a putt will give you a three on most disc golf holes.

Sounds like you've already entered the community. Welcome aboard.

Latest posts