• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Expensive Stores

The hillbilly gas station outside of Cedarock Park in Burlington used to have discs, all 2-3$ overpriced, except for the I dye champ, which was like $22 compared to their Star at $18. I think it went out of business, I wonder why. They probably could have kept their store open off disc sales alone if they weren't overpriced and they kept their stock in.

Dicks around here in Charlotte isn't horribly overpriced, but the selection sucks. $18 for Champ, $10 for DX. I had just found out a couple of months ago that REI was selling discs, but haven't yet been in there to check out the selection. I stick to ordering mine online...

The REI in Greensboro was virtually all Star as well, with half of them being Aviars and Aeros. I mean, I like Aeros and all, but, yeah.

REI, Dick's, Sports Authority, etc. around here all suck. Overpriced and terrible selection is all they offer.

However, in Charlotte, Alpine Ski Center has a decent selection of Innova, Discraft, and Gateway. Infinity's End has a bunch of Innova stuff at both of their locations. I typically buy Innova stuff from one of the two clubs of which I'm a member. For those of you who haven't checked out this avenue, you should. I'm fortunate that one of the officers of the Gaston Disc Golf Club works for Innova, and will hand pick whatever anyone in the club wants and bring it to singles on Saturdays.

Long story short, if there's a club around, check with them. Any money they make goes back into the courses, and they're usually as cheap or cheaper than ordering online, and you can touch/feel/hold the plastic before you buy.

Cheapest to most expensive in the DFW (Fort Worth Side)

Academy

PIA (Play It Again Sports -- Hulen PIA just picked up some Gateway Plastic I hear)

Quck Stop (Veterans Park in Arlington....great selection and runs a buy 6 get one free deal --you must try their tacos)

Head Shops

Last edited:
REI, Dick's, Sports Authority, etc. around here all suck. Overpriced and terrible selection is all they offer.

However, in Charlotte, Alpine Ski Center has a decent selection of Innova, Discraft, and Gateway. Infinity's End has a bunch of Innova stuff at both of their locations. I typically buy Innova stuff from one of the two clubs of which I'm a member. For those of you who haven't checked out this avenue, you should. I'm fortunate that one of the officers of the Gaston Disc Golf Club works for Innova, and will hand pick whatever anyone in the club wants and bring it to singles on Saturdays.

Long story short, if there's a club around, check with them. Any money they make goes back into the courses, and they're usually as cheap or cheaper than ordering online, and you can touch/feel/hold the plastic before you buy.

Yeah, I picked me up a Pro Destro from Alpine Ski a couple of months ago. He's got a pretty diverse selection in there. It's just too far of a drive unless I am on my way down to Renny.

This is why you buy online and trade often! I buy most of everything I throw off of Discgolfcenter. You can't beat free shipping.

The local Dunham's Sports here raised the price of Pro plastic to either $15 or $16 from $11 because it was what everyone was buying. It is now the same price as champ and only $2 less than star plastic. But this is also the only place within 35 minutes that you can buy in person.

We have two shops here in Hibbing,MN and they both have a decent selection, and it's only a dollar or two more than gotta go gotta throw. The local knitting store carries innova, discraft, gateway, and a few oddballs. The sports store only carries innova and discraft. I'm really sorry to here about all those crummy prices. You should all move to Hibbing. Bob Dylan's Hometown, yeah you know you want to move now.

Alpine in Greenville sponsored our last women's clinic. Every player got a 20% off coupon. I wish I could've checked out the store because it looks like they have custom stamped discs too.

There are a few local places which have decent prices, but are all two or more dollars more than discgolfcenter. However, I have been sticking to buying or trading on here or discaroo, because I'm flat broke.

does this store find the suckers to pay this?

yea those are suckers prices. but when i first got into the game i almost considered that sidewinder because that was the only mold that i threw back then. i guess i thought it held some sort of magical properties. but alas just my 1st understable driver.

the first time i saw online prices including shipping i realized the stores must count on the ignorant

the first time i saw online prices including shipping i realized the stores must count on the ignorant

You could say the same about most non-perishable items. Yet we have all these malls and hardware stores and walmarts, catering to the "ignorant". Or perhaps to people who see a difference between value and price, and find value in a local store.

Big5 out here has all of their DX marked 9.99, but when you take them up to pay, it's only 7.99 .. should have grabbed one of the Rocs too, just for gits and shiggles ..

Unless I was to buy misprints, or discs seven at a time, I might as well buy here. I seems foolish to take a way business from a great course sponsor. With gottagogottathrow.com's prices only being a dollar less, with six dollars on shipping, I'd be paying more money unless I bought a bunch. Plus the owner of the shop I go to is really knowledgeable. You also don't get 20% to 30% off if your bag with all your discs gets stolen out of your car. I had a friend who that happened to. You don't get that unless you got a local shop.

You could say the same about most non-perishable items. Yet we have all these malls and hardware stores and walmarts, catering to the "ignorant". Or perhaps to people who see a difference between value and price, and find value in a local store.

thats too deep for me

Latest posts