• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Experiment - Putting with a driver inside the circle.

BarkBuster

Eagle Member
I have an odd problem when it comes to putting. I seem to have more luck with putts outside of 30' than I do putts inside 30'. During a round a few days ago I tossed my Champ Beast at the basket a few times from inside the circle and nailed it every time (It was one of those "Yeah man, maybe ill just putt with this.. har har har" type of things.) I repeated those shots with a few different putters and missed at least 60% of the time. After the warmup was done I decided that for the rest of the day if I was inside 30' I would putt with my Beast just as an experiment.... and I made twice as many putts as usual.

This made me think... What is causing me to miss with a putter but make it with a driver? I honestly believe that it has to do with my fingers getting caught on the rim of my putters because the driver just slides right out. Its almost like the fat of my fingers are grabbing the rim of my putters when I release and pulling them off to the side.

Last night I went to a cookout with some friends and we played some "C-A-T" on his practice basket and I decided to take the lowest profile,tiniest rimmed, most driver-feeling putter I have and work with it. I found that the Wedge actually felt like a reallllly shallow, small rim driver in my hand and I was able to make putts that I have been missing for the last few months. I also won the game of C-A-T :).

Are there any other low profile discs like the Wedge out there? It really seemed to work for me and I think I am going to stick with it for a bit.

Am I right in thinking that it could be my fingers getting caught on the rim from that close in? I honestly have a 50% better chance of making it from outside the circle than inside lately. It blows my mind. Anyone else ever have this problem?

I don't know what a Wedge is like, but my recommendation (and you'll get a lot from others) is to try an XD. It's low profile but does not have the rim like a driver so your fingers getting caught problem might not get fixed.

maybe work on grip rather than a switch to something low profile? do you actually place your fingers inside the rim or are you just saying the rim makes unecessary contact with your fingers when you're releasing?

the rim makes unecessary contact with your fingers when you're releasing?

^this.. I putt with a fan grip.. Fingers on bottom plate with index slightly curved under at the top joint on the finger.

and to the poster above digital: I have/LOVE xd's.. but even the rim on the XD does the same.. The Wedge is the Innova putter that was made for the EDGE program (I guess I have the hands of a child.. ha).

I agree that the problem is more with my grip/release than with my disc selection because I have at least 10+ different putter molds I have tried but I cant ever seem to nail down the exact issue. Maybe Ill post a putting video for critique soon?

I agree you want your pointer finger on the rim, the fan grip as digital called it. If you're not doing that then that could be the problem.

XDs are nice low profile putters, but I never use them for putting unless it's very windy.

this is a random suggestion that likely won't help. but i picked up a hydra recently and feel the rim could be better contoured for the problem you're having. it's kind of a putter/mid anyway, so the rim is more beefy but it's not low-profile like mids are. there's a sort of groove on it that could be perfect for "the hands of a child" or at least an index finger. you wouldn't have to keep your index inside the rim and rather on it where the groove is. could be more comfortable and eliminate your problem? who knows...but you could try it!

I feel the same way about it being related somewhat mental & confidence issues.. The thing that confuses me is even if it is all in my head ... why is the Beast and Wedge going in and the others aren't? Im not really throwing them any differently than the Wiz,Aviar,Dart,Xd,Magic,Focus,Ridge,etc...

i used to hang my hat on jump putts. that was the signature move when my friends and i were playing, knocking in long jumpers for 2's and par saves.

i haven't made a jump putt in about a month, which doesn't worry me because i know it will come back

I used a beat Leopard for awhile. It's the rim that does it. Find a low/angled profile and you'll be back on track. Pure, XD, Swan, extra depending on stability need.

I don't know what a Wedge is like, but my recommendation (and you'll get a lot from others) is to try an XD. It's low profile but does not have the rim like a driver so your fingers getting caught problem might not get fixed.

BOOM! Winner winner chicken dinner

Thanks, Emoney!
This will sound crazy, but lately my short putts have been going right. So today I did all my 15' and in putts with my putter upside down in my hand. Makes it very stable and no way will it turn right.

This was money for me today.

Two possibilities, first is whatever putter you choose should feel comfortable in your hand. If you like shallow check out an XD or a Classic Roc, or maybe the Pure that was mentioned (I've never seen one).

As for why you're making putts with the driver and missing with the putter, my guess is you're just relaxing with driver. There's no expectation that you're supposed to make it so you just figure WTF, relax and drill it. With the putter you have the expectation that it's supposed to go in. There's a local pro in my area who putts with his bag in his off hand, when I asked him why he answered "To remind me not to give a sh!t".

I agree you want your pointer finger on the rim, the fan grip as digital called it. If you're not doing that then that could be the problem.

I agree. But, if you want to putt with a driver, hell, use what works for you. I met a guy on the course that putted with a Champ Wraith, and he made it work. I didn't agree with it, but his low score spoke for its self.

I used to putt with my trusty Star Valk. Especially with any extra distance, that would be the one i would pull out. For the last year or so I've been forcing myself to use putters. It's been a little on/off, but lately it seems to be clicking more. Just try and get outside of my head, its not life or death if it goes in or not.

I guess one key point could be getting a few more of the main mold youre using to putt with. I got 2x P1 and one MD2 that I use for putting practise, they feel similar in my hand. No more than those 3, after that, i go pick them up again start over. I used to practise putting with my whole arsenal at a time, so in the end i had more practise putting with drivers than with actual putters :doh: So no wonder my driver putting was more confident!

train like you play and play like you train, the old mantra again i guess...

Still, if it works, dont fix it? Is there something wrong with putting with drivers, other than "its generally not done"? i hear you can have more blow-throughs with drivers, and they might roll further if they miss, but i myself havent seen a super drastic difference. not an expert though.