• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Failing to snap drivers

ReDisculous

Eagle Member
Title says it all,I just can't seem to throw a driver much furter than my mids, and I feel like I'm just not getting any leverage on them. I just don't feel the hit with drivers the way I do with a mid or putter (I know I don't have a lot of snap or anthing but I can still make the disc feel extra heavy when I am throwing right). I have read that it is possible to get more leverage on mids and putters than a driver because of the small rims, but I feel I must be doing something wrong. I know I do struggle with nose up, but I think there is more than that to my lack of D with a driver. I recently went to a football field to measure my distance. I threw only line drives. My putters maxed out at 270ish, and I got an extra 30 feet from mids, and another 30 from drivers.

When I throw a driver, (mostly valkyries or PD's) I just don't feel like I am getting a hold of them like I do a mid or a putter. Should I be throwing them exactly the same way, or am I supposed to be adjusting somehow?

Here are some things I thought may be factors in my problem...

I throw near max weight putters and mids. I throw drivers in the mid to high 160's maybe if I moved up in weight on drivers it would help me feel the hit a little better? I seriously just fail to feel the weight of drivers most of the time when I throw them so this is sounding very tempting.

The only thing I use a power grip for is drivers. Everything else I use the Climo "fork" grip. Maybe I just lack proficiency at the power grip and should climo grip everything?

I'm thinking that maybe I just subconciously feel like I have to throw a driver harder and fail to throw them with the same form I use on slower discs.

If it's just matter of getting used to the wider rim width, I do have a number of TL's and sabres and such I could go practice with, does anyone have any advice on this in particular?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

yeah i would work on using the fork grip for everything and work with the smaller rim drivers like the TL until you feel comfortable throwing them. i had this problem for a while and i found throwing tweener discs like the leopard helped a lot.
just my .02

Maybe you are trying to hard causing the driver to slip out early. I was having this same problem for a while. I was crushing my rocs and could feel it but drivers not so much. I concentrated on being more relaxed and not pulling until later in the throw. I think my drivers were slipping out early. I would get a roc or putter and think nice and smooth. With a driver I would think more lets get this thing far. More mental than anything. Other than that I would say weight forward.

Dave Feldberg advocates using 70% of the total grip pressure from the base of the thumb and pinky and other fingers in the back and 30 % from the front. In addition to that strengthening the fingers will help in avoiding early or micro slips. A later more explosive acceleration with the arm also helps maintaining top speed at the hit while easing the gripping.

JR said:
Dave Feldberg advocates using 70% of the total grip pressure from the base of the thumb and pinky and other fingers in the back and 30 % from the front. In addition to that strengthening the fingers will help in avoiding early or micro slips. A later more explosive acceleration with the arm also helps maintaining top speed at the hit while easing the gripping.
This was very much a key point to get my rip going. I just focused on the back of my grip and almost felt like my fingers were being ripped off of my hand. Distance ensued.

Incidentally, I'm actually having MORE success gripping and ripping Nukes, Katanas and Destroyers than my PDs and CDs. On average that is, there was one throw with an S-TD that forced me to quit practice that day, due to how much it hurt my fingers. It was long and straight though.

Latest posts