• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fair-Draw Doubles

T-dub

Thinking of playing in my first tourney next weekend. I don't expect to win anything but figure it'll improve my game a lot regardless.

What exactly are "fair-draw doubles" though? What do I need to know going in? Is there a guide to this stuff that I can read?

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Technically you're not playing a tournament. But really you're playing something more along league golf.

Fair draw or Random draw is that you draw a partner to play with for that round. Drawing usually means drawing cards or flipping discs.

Don't be scared. Just ask questions and I'm sure people there will be happy to teach you. Just watch out for sarcasm.

Usually these doubles are played as the best disc format. As in both you and your partner throw off the tee and you choose the best disc to play from. Then for the best lie you both play from there.

Have fun. That's it.

Thinking of playing in my first tourney next weekend. I don't expect to win anything but figure it'll improve my game a lot regardless.

What exactly are "fair-draw doubles" though? What do I need to know going in? Is there a guide to this stuff that I can read?

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Fair draw sounds like a variation of random draw. I would guess that players are divided based on skill level, then teams are drawn in a manner that pairs lower skilled with higher skilled in a way that teams come out relatively even.

Most often, it's two pools of players with a player from each paired up. But if it's a larger event, they could do three pools, pairing the high pool with the low pool and drawing the rest of the teams from the middle pool.

As far as stuff to watch for, I'd give a quick glance at the PDGA rulebook to make sure you know some of the basics. Other than that, don't be shy letting the people you play with, especially your doubles partner, know that it's your first tournament. They'll surely be helpful with any questions that come up and do their best to make you feel comfortable.

Also, don't be afraid to speak up with your partner if you feel strongly about something, particularly when it comes to choosing a lie. If you prefer one lie over the other, speak up and make your case. Too often, an inexperienced player will just go along with whatever the experienced player says or does, even if it puts him in an undesirable position. You want to be able to contribute to the team effort as much as you can, which is hard to do if your partner is asking you to make throws you aren't capable of.

Usually these doubles are played as the best disc format. As in both you and your partner throw off the tee and you choose the best disc to play from. Then for the best lie you both play from there.
As a technicality here, Best Disc is when both partners play their own disc all the way to complete each hole and use the better score of a partner as the team score. Best Shot is the common doubles format usually played when drawing teams where the partners throw and choose the best shot to play from for their next throw.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/rules-for-doubles

As a technicality here, Best Disc is when both partners play their own disc all the way to complete each hole and use the better score of a partner as the team score. Best Shot is the common doubles format usually played when drawing teams where the partners throw and choose the best shot to play from for their next throw.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/rules-for-doubles

I've heard that format called best score. But I should of restated that it meant best shot instead of best disc.

Yes, it can be called Best Score which is noted on the PDGA doc. But the name Best Disc was a direct connection from ball golf where Best Ball is each player playing their own ball and using the better of the two scores for the hole.

Remember to relax and have fun. Talk to your partner when you are unsure about a rule or the order of play. Please remember, don't pick up your disc until you both a agree on the best disc. The league I play in match Pro's with Rec players, this evens the field and almost any team can win. Regardless of ability you will make your share of good shots, enjoy them. As for shots that don't work so well, let them go, try not to dwell on a poor shot. Let us know how you did...

For the record, it ended up being canceled on account of the weather - was about 15-20 degrees out & windy at the scheduled sign-up time. It's rescheduled for this weekend but I am on nights again and will be getting out of work at 0600 that morning.

I figure since I was up and ready to play at the original time, that means I won. :D

For the record, it ended up being canceled on account of the weather - was about 15-20 degrees out & windy at the scheduled sign-up time. It's rescheduled for this weekend but I am on nights again and will be getting out of work at 0600 that morning.

I figure since I was up and ready to play at the original time, that means I won. :D

I'd count it!

Cancelled on account of wind and cold? Lame. Only reason I think a tournament should be cancelled is if the weather makes it dangerous to play (or dangerous to travel to get to the course). 15-20 degrees and windy isn't dangerous, it's just mildly uncomfortable.

You should absolutely claim it as a victory if you were ready to "brave the elements". I think I might have showed up and played a round just to show the wimps who cancelled just how silly they were.