• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fake Rules

roadtripstuff

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So I was at an event this weekend and heard a player state that he was the bottom of the card because he went OB and the person he tied with on that hole did not. So basically two player's took the same score on the previous hole and because one went OB he said he moved to the bottom.

I have never heard of OB affecting the teeing order and have played both Majors and NTs as well as tons of other events. I also looked this up in the rulebook and was unable to find any such rule. So, is this a real thing or a fake rule, and what other fake rules have you heard on the course?

If you look a rule up and it's not in the book, it's not a rule (unless it's a course-specific rule, in which case it should still be documented and disseminated to all players).

Teeing order procedure is clearly laid out in the rule book (801.05 A & B). Nothing more is needed than that.

If you look a rule up and it's not in the book, it's not a rule (unless it's a course-specific rule, in which case it should still be documented and disseminated to all players).

Teeing order procedure is clearly laid out in the rule book (801.05 A & B). Nothing more is needed than that.

Exactly I mean I'm sure there might be rules out there that I don't know, but for the most part I know them. I was just a caddy so I was unable to really point out to not on the one guy but two guys that thought this was a rule. Sheesh, so what are some of the best fake rules some of you all have heard on the course?

The problem is that, unless you have the rulebook memorized, or read it cover to cover, there's a nagging feeling that the fake rule being cited is a real rule, located elsewhere in the book. I've certainly encountered situation where the rule I was looking at seemed to say one thing---but was clarified by a different rule.

The solution, of course, is demanding that the person citing the fake rule prove it by finding it in the book. No proof, no rule. Much easier to prove the positive (or fail to) than prove the negative.

I got a warning at a tournament for dropping my mini walking from a basket to the next teepad but no one seconded it.

I heard this one at a tournament before. Something about any time you toss your disc or mini more than 6' it is considered a stroke? The guy who won our rec division was doing that while walking up to his next hole or shot, but I wasn't confident enough on the exact rule to call him on it, and didn't think it was a big deal since it wasn't affecting his or our scores.

I heard this one at a tournament before. Something about any time you toss your disc or mini more than 6' it is considered a stroke? The guy who won our rec division was doing that while walking up to his next hole or shot, but I wasn't confident enough on the exact rule to call him on it, and didn't think it was a big deal since it wasn't affecting his or our scores.

A throw over 2m is a practice throw and a one throw penalty. That is not a fake rule.

The problem is that, unless you have the rulebook memorized, or read it cover to cover, there's a nagging feeling that the fake rule being cited is a real rule, located elsewhere in the book. I've certainly encountered situation where the rule I was looking at seemed to say one thing---but was clarified by a different rule.

The solution, of course, is demanding that the person citing the fake rule prove it by finding it in the book. No proof, no rule. Much easier to prove the positive (or fail to) than prove the negative.

You're right. No one has the book memorized, nor should they. But I like to think that the familiarity one might have with it if one actually read it cover to cover once or twice would at least aid in identifying the fake rules as fake without looking. Which should prompt your second point, which is to hand the book to the person citing the rule and have them look it up.

Too many players, I'd argue the majority of players, rely on learning the rules aurally as they go and never once look at the rule book to either learn or confirm them. It may work fine if they're learning from someone who has read the book, but too often, as rules get passed on verbally, it turns into a game of telephone where the original rules get morphed into something that barely resembles what is correct.

So I was at an event this weekend and heard a player state that he was the bottom of the card because he went OB and the person he tied with on that hole did not. So basically two player's took the same score on the previous hole and because one went OB he said he moved to the bottom.

I have never heard of OB affecting the teeing order and have played both Majors and NTs as well as tons of other events. I also looked this up in the rulebook and was unable to find any such rule. So, is this a real thing or a fake rule, and what other fake rules have you heard on the course?

man, people do this in my area all the time, ive just given up on it

My favorite fake rule is that if you throw OB you can't throw that disc again on that hole. So many people argue it to be the case that I don't even bother anymore. If you don't want to throw the disc, don't.

My favorite fake rule is that if you throw OB you can't throw that disc again on that hole. So many people argue it to be the case that I don't even bother anymore. If you don't want to throw the disc, don't.
Cooties!

If they want to enforce that fake rule (or any others that don't contradict or conflict with the real rules) on themselves, that's their problem. It's the idiots who insist on enforcing fake rules on others that are the real problem.

Sadly, the "you can't throw a disc that's been OB" fake rule comes up in my playing groups at least once a year, sometimes from players that really should know better. It's not amusing anymore.

I got a warning at a tournament for dropping my mini walking from a basket to the next teepad but no one seconded it.
I think you would be safe in that case as a drop is not the same as a throw. Different than the other scenario in this thread where a guy threw to the next teepad.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/808-rules-qa#qa-12

QA 12: Is a Drop a Throw?
Q:
My throwing hand bumped a tree branch during my backswing, knocking the disc to the ground, and the disc rolled forward of my lie. Was that a throw?

A:
No. The throw begins when movement of the disc in the intended direction begins. A disc dropped or knocked out before or during a backswing does not count as a throw. Applicable Rules: 800.02 Definitions ("Throw").